Sign in with
Your question

MSI K9N nForce 550 won't boot!

Last response: in Motherboards
June 3, 2006 8:49:51 PM

Okay I have tried just about everything that I can do. they're no beeps, no buzzing, no POST, so signal to video, no burning smell, or unuseal sounds. But fans are getting power and the CD rom seems to get power.

I have tried the following: "process of cancelation", resitting everything in cluding the mobo, resetting CMOS jumper, removing the battery. No luck.

Sence I know this MOBO is fairly new, there is little or no trouble shooting guides for this and it.

I have decided that it's either my MOBO or PSU.

Athlon 64 3000 AM2
350W generic PSU
X800GTO 256MB
512 dual OCZ PC2 4200
Maxter Diamondback Sata
MSI K9N nForce 550 AM2

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
June 3, 2006 9:21:05 PM

At first sight, the problem is caused by your PSU. Get a 450-500W PSU, from a well known brand, like Antec or OCZ. Then try and see if it boots.
June 3, 2006 10:41:17 PM

You may have already tried this but try removing any add in cards... ie sound, nic, video etc then go on to disconnecting the optical and hard drives. Another remote possibility is the voltage switch on the back of the power supply got changed to 220 this was done to me as a prank one time.
Related resources
June 3, 2006 10:42:50 PM

Okay, I check the PSU with a Antec Neopower 480W . No luck so it must be my MOBO
June 3, 2006 11:10:13 PM

Quote:
You may have already tried this but try removing any add in cards... ie sound, nic, video etc then go on to disconnecting the optical and hard drives. Another remote possibility is the voltage switch on the back of the power supply got changed to 220 this was done to me as a prank one time.

Thanks, but I already tried all of that.
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2006 11:49:18 PM

Ack another MSI related issue

yeah generic PSU, slow DDR2 ram, etc

Quote:
Okay I have tried just about everything that I can do. they're no beeps, no buzzing, no POST, so signal to video, no burning smell, or unuseal sounds. But fans are getting power and the CD rom seems to get power.

I have tried the following: "process of cancelation", resitting everything in cluding the mobo, resetting CMOS jumper, removing the battery. No luck.

Sence I know this MOBO is fairly new, there is little or no trouble shooting guides for this and it.

I have decided that it's either my MOBO or PSU.

Athlon 64 3000 AM2
350W generic PSU
X800GTO 256MB
512 dual OCZ PC2 4200
Maxter Diamondback Sata
MSI K9N nForce 550 AM2

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
June 4, 2006 1:54:40 AM

Perhaps this is a case of dead bios?
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2006 4:53:05 AM

Quote:

WTF
June 4, 2006 5:44:49 AM

Quote:

WTF

Apache lives, you act like you know a lot more than me but you don't seem to be any help.... Let's try stay on topic, and help me fix this, please.
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2006 6:38:43 AM

1. reset the cmos
2. take the board and system out and sit it on cardboard or whatever and boot it with just board, ram, cpu, video etc OUT OF THE CASE
3. switch the ram if you can or test it or somethin (to clear it of any issue)
4. return the board

replace the board

Quote:

WTF

Apache lives, you act like you know a lot more than me but you don't seem to be any help.... Let's try stay on topic, and help me fix this, please.
June 9, 2006 3:26:34 AM

I have the same problems, no video output.
I've tried everything that the MSI site has had to offer and nothing works + I'm out of ideas. It sucks that this is so new that there's no support for it yet.
Video card and ram work fine in my other system.

I had a similar problem with an Abit 939 socket mobo but it had a post code led to indicate that it was a memory problem, switched the ram and it worked just fine. Unfortunately it's not the case with this mobo.

This is such a pain to troubleshoot. Any ideas?
HELP!

-----------------------------------
MSI K9N SLI nForce 570 AM2
Athlon 64 3500+ AM2
Ultra X2 550W PSU
EVGA 7600GT KO
1GB dual OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB)
June 9, 2006 3:43:20 AM

Well, I have already RMA'd it, hopefully I will get a replacment by Tuesday. I will let everyone know when I get it.
June 9, 2006 4:00:29 AM

I'm hoping that I wont have to resort to send mine in for RMA

Did you RMA to manufacturer or the vendor?

I unfortunately bought mine from zipzoomfly and their customer support sucks so I'm holding off as long as i can.

I know when I got this mobo, everything was packaged very messy, like someone dropped it on the floor and put it back in the box.
I'm wondering if mine was damaged or used. But it's so new it doesnt seem likely.

It's hard to tell cause there's no sticker seal either.
How about yours?
June 9, 2006 4:15:49 AM

I returned it to the vendor, as for the packaging it was decent. Mine did not look damage at all. But still didn't work.
June 10, 2006 4:58:55 AM

Yo, I just got a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Orleans with the MSI K9N Neo. It also does not post and as I was reading I noticed we all have the 1Gig OCZ duel channel memory, could this be the problem and not the MB? What do you think? Also I read that usually it beeps or something if it is bad memory, but it just seems strange that we all have the same problem and same memory. I noticed under the CPU specifications that it shows it only supports the 3500 and 3800 in the Athlon 64, but the other dude that had the same problem had the 3500 so I have really no clue. Im gonna try Different RAM for the heck of it tomarrow.
June 10, 2006 6:43:53 AM

Well after researching more tonight, I keep seeing that only the AM2 socket supports the Athlon 64 3500 and 3800. It doesnt say anything about the 3000+. Hope this is not the case, although newegg has the 3500 for $125 now.
June 10, 2006 6:55:35 AM

try to change out your memory then get back us, we all would appreciate it.
June 10, 2006 7:10:35 AM

Hi, i just joined here because this popped up on google when i was searching for answers to the same problem you all have.

My brother had just bought a

am2 athlon 3200
msi k9n platnium
gforce 7900gt
2x1 gig of g skill ddr800

I have read that you all had ocz memory and were beginning to think that was the problem where i get the same exact problems that you all have but I use the g skill memory.

I tried everything there is to try with no luck except the very last thing i remembered to use was the d-bracket that came with the motherboard and it showed up with the lights saying the memory was faulty. I find that hard to belive that both brand new sticks were faulty and would not even boot into the bios. If anyone has any luck trying different memory than ocz or g skill please reply back because im eager to get rid of this computer as it is starting to take up a lot of time trying to figure out the problem.
June 10, 2006 2:06:05 PM

Well, I have not tried the memory thing yet, but now I think it is just the processor. On the MSI site, it says that only the 3500 and 3800 are supported, it does'nt say that the 3000 or 3200 are not, but it doesnt mention them at all. The only thing is one of the reviews for the 3000 on newegg have some guy on there with a review saying his worked fine with the 3000+. Unless they made a bunch of bad MB, just seems wierd. Not sure I was trying to look up any NForce 5 board that actually said they support the 3000+ and cant find any. Just dont know. I am going to try the memory because of what steve said about the D bracket first.
June 10, 2006 2:55:36 PM

YOU GUYS ARE BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE.
I have the same board, OCZ DDR2-800 and a Sempron64. That board will support any AM2 cpu period. Im also running a 350w power supply.
Heres what I think your problem is. The motherboard voltage for the memory defaults to 1.8v, the OCZ memory I have is 2.1v. You have to manually up the voltage in the bios to 2.1v or it wont power the memory. Find out what the proper voltage is for YOUR memory first.
June 10, 2006 4:26:53 PM

It was the memory!! I got some kingston 4200 at circuit city and it works. Now I dont know about changing the voltage, but its kinda hard to change the voltage when it does'nt post. But if I can change the voltage in Bios and use the OCZ in duel channel now that I can get there, Im all ears.
June 10, 2006 6:25:07 PM

Quote:
You have to manually up the voltage in the bios to 2.1v or it wont power the memory. Find out what the proper voltage is for YOUR memory first.

Most of us don't even get a POST, so if there's a way to access the BIOS with out a POST then we would like to know. In the meantime, someone else try different memory too, just to make sure.

Quote:
The motherboard voltage for the memory defaults to 1.8v

BTW, I checked and my memory is 1.8v, so even the motherboards default setting (1.8v) doesn't work.
June 10, 2006 6:27:09 PM

Have you called OCZ tech support?
The guys name is Sean, I know him, he will email you right back if you contact him here:
sean@ocztechnology.com
June 10, 2006 10:32:01 PM

Quote:
Have you called OCZ tech support?
The guys name is Sean, I know him, he will email you right back if you contact him here:
sean@ocztechnology.com

Though tech support has never succesfully solve or troubleshoot a problem (atleast not that I can remember). I will give this a try.
June 10, 2006 11:32:58 PM

Would it be better for me to rma my g. skill memory to the website i bought it from (newegg. Or would it be better to send it in to g. skill?
June 10, 2006 11:37:20 PM

Quote:
Would it be better for me to rma my g. skill memory to the website i bought it from (newegg. Or would it be better to send it in to g. skill?

Try the vendor first, Newegg having excellent customer service IMO.
June 11, 2006 5:30:33 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum.

I've been struggling with the same troubles too. I posted a thread on the OCZ support forum to see if anyone has found the same memory incompatibilities (it's still quite speculative at the moment... but I've run out of ideas). I linked this thread to my post. Please check it out and comment there too if you suspect that the memory might be suspect.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21577

I recently (On Friday, June 9, 2006) assembled a new system:

*MSI K9N Platinum NVIDIA 570 Ultra Motherboard (Not the SLI version)
*MSI GeForce 7600 GT (128 Video Card
*OCZ Gold Dual Channel (2x1GB) OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K
*Antec P180 Case
*"Mad Dog Multimedia" (That CompUSA brand) 550 W 20 pin ATX Power Supply

Or at least I thought I did... Upon powerup, I noticed that nothing would come up on the monitor. No sounds would come up either... basically, no POST! I see absolutely nothing. What's worse, the D-Bracket (supplied with most every MSI motherboard as a "diagnostic" tool) showed the dreaded 4 red lights (processor failure/incorrect installation). I'm pretty darn sure I installed the processor right (It's a ZIF socket anyways. It wasn't forced in. It fit like a key [a good, expensive key]). All I see is power to the fans and the lights go on. I am unable to get a post.

-What I know:

*The power supply is good. Swapped to a different system. Works great.
*I have not been able to swap out the video card, memory, or
My speculations are:

*Motherboard is DOA (though you should get a POST... Just would go haywire... Don't quote me on that)

*Memory is indeed incompatible as has been speculated (Which may
explain why I am not seeing a POST... but I could swear that I used to be able to see a POST without any memory present in an old Dell I used to work on... Long ago)

*The CPU is bad somehow... Not sure how... But I reseated it twice... No bent/broken pins. Looked good. Even thermal paste spread (factory direct... no matter, never posted :(  )

*I have some of the worst luck in the world... I won't bore you with the details of my day.

Thanks for reading about my rantings. If you have any comments or suggestions... please by all means! I need my compy!!!!
June 11, 2006 7:54:35 AM

Man....I thought I was going nuts. I just bought a bunch of brand new stuff to build a system for my mom and had the exact same problem.

AMD AM2 x2 4400+
OCZ DDR2 800 2x 1GB
MSI K9N Platinum SLI nforce 570
XFX 7600GT Dual DVI Out (photoshop machine
...doesn't need a heavy graphics card)
OCZ 700W PSU
Cooler Master Stacker Case (I love this case)
Zalman CPU Fan (enormous) w/arctic cool paste
2x 250GB WD Hard Drives
Dual BenQ 20.1" Flat Screen LCD monitors

I hooked everything up and the fans ran...but nothing on the monitor and no beeps for post. I noticed that if I unplugged the monitor cables that it would say "cable is unplugged", but when I plugged it back in, it would say "no signal", so it seemed like the system had power, just no signal. I also tried a dvi to d-sub connector on the d-sub port on the monitor just to try it, but still....nothing. I reset the cmos.....tested the battery on the board, tried taking the board out of the case with nothing else attached, reseated the cpu, etc, etc.....still nothing.

Called Newegg, not really any help....but they offered to rma my stuff.

I called MSI....the guy said he didn't know what could be wrong, but he suspected it was prolly the memory. He said the board is rated at 1.8 volts and my memory was rated at 2.0 volts. He ran through a couple of basics just to make sure I wasn't forgetting something stupid (and I wasn't)....nothing
He put me on hold for a minute after I told him that the add on Monarch and Newegg said the board supports DDR2 800 memory but none of the memory on Newegg (that was DDR2 800) was less than 1.9 volts. So after he talked to a *tech* he said that it should still work. He had me 1st try putting memory in the 1 & 3 slots, then the 2 & 4 slots, then every combination of slots with one or both sticks of memory and nothing worked (even though the *tech* said that it should)......so it was fruitless.

I called XFX (twice) and the guy said unless I had another system to check the graphics card with it would be hard to tell, but the guy I was talking to had a similar setup to mine and suggested I remove the memory and/or the graphics card while trying to boot to see if the board *beeped* at me.
Nothing beeped and he offered to replace or test my card, but again, nothing worked...

I called Monarch (Which is where I bought the board and processor from, and I had a higher-ups name and personal phone number because I gave them a bad reseller rating and they called me to see if there was anything they could do, which actually turned out to be a good experience) and he tried to help me trouble shoot and had one of the techs from Monarch call me and help troubleshoot as well. He mentioned that CPU's almost never go bad, so that wasn't likely the problem, so it was prolly the RAM or the mobo or possibly the PSU. We didn't find the problem, but he also offered to RMA the mobo if I wanted.

So, I'm at a loss. I hope someone on here finds a *fix* for this problem. I like the MSI board because of the extra PCI slots and my current board on my system is an MSI and its been great.

*crosses fingers*

With regard to some of the other posts here....it doesn't seem to be a PSU problem now either. ALL of our PSU's can't be bad, and mine has plenty of power. The only things that seem like it might be bad is either the RAM or the mobo. *sigh*
June 11, 2006 6:56:19 PM

First off... wow... THAT'S a mighty powerful monster.

Anyways, there's another winner, folks. I can't believe the sheer number of problems that I have found on the net. This is the first time this has ever happened to me... I'm really not too sure how to diagnose motherboard troubles. I see power, I see fans, but I don't see a POST. The voltage ratings on the memory ports can be adjusted in the BIOS AFTER THE COMPY POSTS!!!!! So unless you get a POST, you cannot get to the BIOS and thus adjust the memory voltage/timings.

I'm not fully aware that starting up a computer without RAM (or the incorrect RAM) would prevent you from seeing POST. Even then, my D-Bracket shows 4 red lights, which is supposedly indicative of a bad processor. I'm not fully convinced of this... but it is quite disconcerting. I'm at the gallows' end here.

If anyone can confirm that indeed the OCZ memory modules are incompatible with the MSI K9N series motherboards, please do so. It's either that, or the motherboard, or perhaps even the processor (*shiver*)

MSI has treated me well in the past (it's really a matter of luck in these cases with computers. That's why I hate them so much...) So I tried it again. It just seems all too illogical for it to happen this way because of a memory incompatibility (again, this is just speculation).

Took out the battery. Reset CMOS. Tried the motherboard out of the case on a non-conductive flat surface. NOTHING. It just starts up, but I get nothing. No POST. Nada. Zilch.

I work at a university, so I'll have my tech check it on Monday and see if it is either the processor, motherboard, or RAM (or anything else I am missing. I'm not seeing any grounding issues).

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your vigilence!
June 11, 2006 9:43:44 PM

D bracket is fairly accurate, but i think that there was just bad batches hardware thats causing all of this. I would try rmaing the memory and see what that gives u. if d bracket says processer is bad then rma that asap because most processor warrantys are for a very short period of time.
June 11, 2006 9:49:06 PM

It scared the hell out of me when I saw those 4 lights. But then I started reading around about the memory issue. I'm contacting newegg to see about the processor. They give seven days from date of purchase, so I'm still clear.

I'm sorry that I am presenting another similar problem and not a solution. The computer starts and no POST. Does anyone else get the 4 lights? (suspecting the processor and not the memory?)

I've posted a thread on the MSI support forum. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=97939.0

Thanks for your suggestion steve-0o0. I'll wait until Monday and see what the tech at my University says and more than likely start RMAing stuff. I'll try some more things today (but not too many, as this is giving me a headache)
June 12, 2006 3:30:08 AM

I didn't hook up the d-bracket because my case has 6 usb ports....I'll hook mine up and see if I get the same error you do.....Will prolly have to be tuesday before I get back though.....to much to do at work.

BBL
June 12, 2006 3:54:32 AM

I hear you. The reason this is so frustrating is that I'll have to be leaving for about two months for consulting. I wanted to take this new build with me and leave my old PC to my cousin... What frustration...

Anyway, don't always trust the D-Bracket. Since the AMD64 Socket AM2s have the memory controller embedded into the processor substrate, the likelyhood of a correct prediction by the D-Bracket is not 100%. Check into the memory issue or your power supply (is it a 24 pin ATX? Enough Power? Working?). Don't rule out the motherboard yet either.

Good luck!
June 12, 2006 4:38:31 AM

Okay, I ordered different memory and I should get my replacement mobo.
Hopefully, I will have good results, if I do I will let everyone know.
June 12, 2006 4:42:35 AM

Good luck. It's a shame we all have to endure this. I'll keep you posted on the memory issue.
June 12, 2006 6:40:52 AM

Thanks...I love mum...tried to make her happy with this setup....although I hope I don't kick myself later for not waiting and getting the conroe, but I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy.

Anywho, I couldn't help myself. I think I'm a little OCD. I went ahead and hooked up the d-bracket (its 12:40, tomorrow is gonna be teh suck).

I got red@ 1, 3, & 4.....and a green on #2. Manual says "if it hangs" its trying to verify memory. So, my guess is the RAM. Anybody else have any info to back this up yet?

*brain racing*.....I hate it when crap doesn't work.
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2006 9:15:33 AM

geez i could have said not to buy MSI?
June 12, 2006 2:00:43 PM

It might just be a memory incompatibility in your case. Either that or a bad motherboard/memory controller. If there is any way to swap the memory on your system, I would try that route first. It doesn't sound like your power supply would give you any troubles or that your processor might be bad. Don't discount that possibility yet either.

Good luck.
June 12, 2006 3:10:44 PM

This is the reply I got from eryder@ocztechnology (which I got in less than 10 minutes btw, thanks eryder):

The SPD for the Tras is probably set too tight. About 2 weeks ago we discovered that the NF5 chipset needs the Tras set loose to allow the board to boot the first time. Your modules, while spec'd to run 5-5-5-12 which they will do, the board needs to see an SPD with the Tras at 15 for it to boot.
This is a new discovery with the release of the boards (the Beta units we had access to booted fine with Tras at 10 or 12) and the Intel rigs are not affected, so we have modules out in the market with an SPD on them that won't allow the new NF5 systems to boot.
We have fixed the SPD on all new shipments....but obviously we can't fix what is already sold, Plus as I said...they run fine in Intel systems, only those with the NF5 boards will have this issue.

Do you consider yourself fairly proficient with PC's? Have you ever flashed a bios in Windows with Winflash?
So we need to re-program the SPD on the modules.
If you have a friend with an Intel setup where we can get these modules booted, I can give you instructions and the tool to fix this yourself, if you think you can manage it.

Let me know.

Of course.....since we can't Post, this solution seems moot with our current boards. :S

However, I guess since the NEW boards supposedly come with this problem fixed, the solution is just RMA your board and get the new batch.
June 12, 2006 3:38:44 PM

Quote:
If anyone can confirm that indeed the OCZ memory modules are incompatible with the MSI K9N series motherboards, please do so. It's either that, or the motherboard, or perhaps even the processor (*shiver*)

Wow I cant believe the amount of problems I have read about.
I can confirm the OCZ memory is not on the supported list but it does work. My DDR2-800 OCZ works fine. Although I never had a problem posting, my system would not install windows till I set he memory voltage to 2.1v. I also did not use the D-bracket. My 350w power supply only has a 20 pin connector, but works fine. I cant offer anymore suggestions. My system is running great.
My 2.0 sempron64 is running great at 2.4ghz on stock voltage. The temp did not go up at all over stock speed. Running 36c idle.
June 12, 2006 4:14:56 PM

Hello,

If it is not the PSU or any other components, then it may be that your board is: defective unit, DOA from shipping, or static shock from your case or yourself.
June 12, 2006 8:05:18 PM

I got a similar reply from eryder too. He told me that if you can run your memory modules on someone's intel (obviously with a capacity to run PC2-6400s and use winflash to reset the SPD, that it should work.

However, I am starting to suspect we are unable to POST for a different reason. Sure that Tras setting being wrong would do it too, but I'm starting to think the motherboard is dead. By the way, what did you mean by:

"However, I guess since the NEW boards supposedly come with this problem fixed, the solution is just RMA your board and get the new batch."

Are there new MSI boards with this compatibility issue fixed? Or were you talking about the memory modules?

My PSU was tested by the tech at my school. Works perfectly. We tested out the system with a 24 pin PSU. Nothing doing... I checked the video card on another machine. Works fine (it's the same brand as my motherboard anyways... so I don't think they would be incompatible... still, it worked on another PC...) I do not have the ability to test the memory modules as I do not have access to an intel with PC2-6400 capabilities.

The D-Bracket sounds fishy... 4 LEDs... I'm still not convinced, but MrsD has confirmed the memory works... (although the stated problem with the SPDs....)

So now it's either the processor or motherboard. If you'd like/can, you could try RMA'ing both. If you also can, swap out your processor and test it elsewhere.

Mine is not a grounding issue, but one of the two culprits listed above could be at fault... more sadness ensues...
June 13, 2006 2:23:13 AM

I am RMAing my memory to OCZ based on a reply from eryder. Looks like they will take care of it. I tried some other DDR2 memory, but it still did not solve my POST problem. There is indeed a memory incompatibility issue, so contact OCZ ASAP and confirm this with a representative. If you suspect the motherboard or processor, RMA those (I am!)

Best of luck.
June 13, 2006 2:51:48 PM

Quote:
The SPD for the Tras is probably set too tight. About 2 weeks ago we discovered that the NF5 chipset needs the Tras set loose to allow the board to boot the first time. Your modules, while spec'd to run 5-5-5-12 which they will do, the board needs to see an SPD with the Tras at 15 for it to boot.
This is a new discovery with the release of the boards (the Beta units we had access to booted fine with Tras at 10 or 12) and the

This totally explains why MY ocz memory works and others dont. I bought the cas4 with the 4-5-4-15. So the solution should be for now to make sure you buy cas4 not cas5 memory.
June 13, 2006 3:39:42 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a RAM incompatibility issue also
I'm sending back this shitty MSI mobo and getting the Asus

I dealt with MSI tech support too and they're freaking idiots.
I told them I already read their forums + faqs and to give me some advice I already dont know and they just repeated the same shit like they're reading from a script.
So I've lost confidence in their product and going with someone more reliable like Asus
MSI sucks

I've dealt with Abit tech support in the past and they're very knowledgeable and helpful too.

-----------------------------------
MSI K9N SLI nForce 570 AM2
Athlon 64 3500+ AM2
Ultra X2 550W PSU
EVGA 7600GT KO
1GB dual OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 (OCZ28002048ELDCGE-K 2GB)
June 13, 2006 5:12:00 PM

Darn... And my current motherboard is an MSI K7 too. It's given me great service, so I cannot complain. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Once your RMA products arrive and the dust settles, can you comment on if the problems were fixed. I RMA'd both my processor and motherboard, so we'll see how it goes.
June 14, 2006 9:17:37 AM

No way!

Same(-ish) set-up:
MSI K9N Platinum AM2 Socket 940 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket AM2 BOX CPU
OCZ 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Dual Channel

Same problem.

This is unbelieveable!

Got a few questions, though. The ultimate answer seems to be to send the MoBo back, yes?

or is the concensus to swap out the RAM?

Still have to go through all the touble shooting steps myself, but things look pretty hopeless for me.

What does RMA stand for? Tra?

Still pretty much a newb, and trying to learn to lingo....got much of it figured out, though.

The support on these boards out shines anything that MSI has been able to show me.

Last question. Who should I be complaining to? Manufacturer of MoBo/ Ram? The Vendor (tigerdirect)? My local senator? I want free stuff that works.

Thanks!
June 14, 2006 4:54:27 PM

Quote:
No way!

Same(-ish) set-up:
MSI K9N Platinum AM2 Socket 940 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket AM2 BOX CPU
OCZ 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Dual Channel

Same problem.

This is unbelieveable!

Got a few questions, though. The ultimate answer seems to be to send the MoBo back, yes?

or is the concensus to swap out the RAM?

Still have to go through all the touble shooting steps myself, but things look pretty hopeless for me.

What does RMA stand for? Tra?

Still pretty much a newb, and trying to learn to lingo....got much of it figured out, though.

The support on these boards out shines anything that MSI has been able to show me.

Last question. Who should I be complaining to? Manufacturer of MoBo/ Ram? The Vendor (tigerdirect)? My local senator? I want free stuff that works.

Thanks!

No one should have to go through what we all have. Now, depending on the situation, I would send either the motherboard/processor back, or would also try contacting OCZ to confirm the issue with the SPD chip on the memory modules. It seems that the Tras timing (the last number on the timing series given. For example 5-5-5-12... 12 is the Tras number. I'm still not sure what it does, I'm not an expert with computers) is set to 12 when these MSI boards require it to be 15, which may explain POST errors (no POST)

Are you using a D-Bracket? Try installing it and see what LEDs turn on. Some people have shown that the D-Bracket hangs on the memory initialization. Mine hung on 4 red LEDs (bad processor). So I ended up RMAing the processor and motherboard together (Just to be safe. I hate to send stuff back, but I had no choice). I've been talking with the OCZ people about the issue, and they have come up with some solutions. Here are links to some threads:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?board=28.0
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17465...

RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization and I'm not sure what Tras is.

Try clearing the CMOS using the clear CMOS button and even remove the battery for about 10 - 15 minutes. Put it back and try it again (Try it with the memory removed). Try turning it on on a non-conductive surface (be wary of electrostatic discharge (ESD) so assemble it in a room without carpet). Keep one hand on an unpainted part of the case so that you can avoid the ESD. Did you have trouble assembling the processor? Perhaps forced in the fan a little too hard? Try only using the bare minimum (CPU, memory, and video card) to start up the PC. See if it will POST)

If there is a way for you to check the power supply, do so. Also, see if any other RAM modules will work on the computer. Also check the video card. No beeps?

I'd say you should get your senator to mount a war against MSI or against computers all together. However, senators don't care about what their constituents think. So, bah. But I agree. This is getting much too ridiculous.
June 15, 2006 12:02:57 AM

UPDATE

Okay, I work Odd hours, so "Morning" and "Night" are somewhat relative, bear with me.

Got home last night (this morning) and stripped the thing out of its case. Removed battery for several minutes (how ever long it takes to make a PopTart). Hit the Clear CMOS button a coupla times. Re-inserted the battery. More button pressing. Put it (the MoBo) on cardboard then hooked up power supply, vid card, keyboard and mouse, and 1 stick of RAM...
IT WORKED...(sort of)
I got picture, but kept getting some message about boot sequence. It would loop here every 2 or three minutes with the same messages popping up in that interval. After a few tries of resetting the machine, and hitting "DEL" key, I finally got into the BIOS (timing must be critical on this, 'cause I didn't get any message about "Hit Del to enter BIOS"...or whatever the appropriate message should be). Wasn't really sure about what I should be setting in Bios. I am under the impression that this particular board will auto detect hardware. So I....

Remounted the MoBo in the case making sure I insulated the standoffs. (I used a hole punch to punch out holes from some gasket material, then used an awl to punch a tiny hole for the screw to go through.) Re-attached the above components, including the power up and reset buttons on the case. Everything still worked as it had before. Still couldn't see any BIOS message, but after a few attempts and resets I made it in again

Next I tried my old Hard Drive. It seemed to power-up, but I heard a sort of whhrrr <click>.....whhrrr <click>.....whhrrr <click>.....whhrrr <click>..... and nothing else happened.

Going to do more research on these boards, and try more tonight whe I get home. (tomorrow morning)
June 15, 2006 10:00:55 AM

RMA'd the board processor and sent my OCZ Newegg RAM (said they'd test everything for free) to Monarch Computer....I'll post the result when it is returned.

Thumbs up to Monarch for going above and beyond the call of duty. The guy who is helping me gave me his personal mobile number and said call him anytime. I told him about the issues we were having and he agreed to test everything for me.

This blows.....I hope some of the other vendors have a better showing when I build my next system. MSI was the only board that had all of the features I wanted though. Really disappointed in MSI this time. To bad, like my current board. I'm gonna have to agree with a previous poster though and say that the tech support at MSI is 3rd rate. It very much sounded like they were reading from a flip chart and weren't able to fix anything. The guys at OCZ were the ones who actually new what they were talking about.
!