P5WD2 Ide Problems

musictoo

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Been banging my head for days with this. I have both my optical drives attached to the blue(ICH7) connector and they are recognized by the bios and by XP. During initial OS installation(driver loading etc) the cd's would take forever to load. Now that all the drivers and inf files are up to date, also running on bios v 0501, I'm still having a problem. When I do any kind of large file transfer from DVD (I'm doing video editing using locally produced DVD's) the pc locks up hard and has to be rebooted. I've tried 3 different DVD drives/burners, master, slave, and cable select settings, I even tried them on the Marvell IDE ports(obviously with no success). I've messed with every bios setting that I can think of and nothing helps. The same operations on my older AMD X2 pc work with no problems. I tried a 3rd party add-in IDE card, but the system just hangs on booting. (Possible ICH7 problem?downloadmirror.intel.com/df-support/ 10451/ENG/SN_0072_ReleaseNotes.pdf) Any suggestions?

BTW, I also am unable to AHCI mode without getting a BSOD in XP, even using the latest drivers on a fresh install using F6

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
There was a problem with the onboard IDE in earlier BIOS revisions, from what I understand. I had no problems, but my board came pre-loaded with the latest BIOS. Might check that.

-J