  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 26, 2005 1:26:22 AM

In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
handle in an unpressurized aircraft?

Dallas

More about : maximum rate descent

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:35:48 AM

Dallas

Are you talking GA or commercial, and normal or emergency ops. The thing
that springs to mind is the recent tragedy in Greece. If the plane
depressurises and the crew are still in control (Not in that case)they will
come down very fast, but you would definitely spill some gin. The big stuff
like the 747 will stand some amazing forces when diving.

Don't have the figures to hand at the minute unfortunately.

Geoff

> In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
> handle in an unpressurized aircraft?
>
> Dallas

August 26, 2005 3:35:49 AM

"GeoffC"
> Are you talking GA or commercial, and normal or emergency ops.

Normal GA ops. I was at 10k feet last night with a Cessna single in the
mountains and the airfield was at 600 feet. I *could* get down pretty fast,
but I could also blow out my eardrums (virtually speaking :-).

Dallas
August 26, 2005 3:35:50 AM

Dallas wrote:
> "GeoffC"
>> Are you talking GA or commercial, and normal or emergency ops.
>
> Normal GA ops. I was at 10k feet last night with a Cessna single in
> the mountains and the airfield was at 600 feet. I *could* get down
> pretty fast, but I could also blow out my eardrums (virtually
> speaking :-).

I don't think goin down from 10K is goin to hurt anyone, without rippin the
blinkin wings off the aircraft maun, but further up (altitude) it does. I
was on a 727 the night Tricky Dicky resigned, leaving Indianapolis we were
on board at the gate at the terminal, the captain put his "goodbye" speech
on the intercom, the passengers applauded afterwards, and we were off to
Kansas City. Somewhere in between over FL 030, about the time the stew was
by our seat with the drink cart, everyones ears started popping, etc., the
oxygen masks dropped from the overhead, women & girlie boys started
screeming, the captain put it into a emergencey dive to FL010, and I
observed the following: the seats in front of me were empty - the seats in
front of that had a middle aged man going out of his mind because the masks
in that row hadn't dropped, even though there was NO sign of any actual
oxygen diprivation to anyone
so I stood up on my seat and reached over to poke him on his sweaty head
that there were three masks hanging in the row behind him, unused - he
didn't go around the passegeway, but rather leaped over the seat backs to
get one of the masks, totally un-needed, behind him. In the meantime, my
seat mate, and I, helped ourselves to a six pack of beer on the cart
abandented by the stew to help the other panicking passengers. When she
returned a little later, after we had reached a "safe" altitude, she noticed
the half dozen empty beer bottles, and declined our offer to pay for our
indulgance while plummenting to our death.......... Of course we might have
actually plummented to our death, but............... Actual problem was the
crew lost automatic cabin pressure and had to resort to manual, which was a
very finicky process according to my CFI, who was then a TWA 1st officer...
August 26, 2005 3:35:51 AM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:

> FL030 is 3,000 feet and FL010 is 1,000 feet (at standard pressure).

opps, what a difference a 0 makes.............
August 26, 2005 4:11:12 AM

Great story, CRaSH......you slay me sometimes : )

Arthur

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> Dallas wrote:
>> "GeoffC"
>>> Are you talking GA or commercial, and normal or emergency ops.
>>
>> Normal GA ops. I was at 10k feet last night with a Cessna single in
>> the mountains and the airfield was at 600 feet. I *could* get down
>> pretty fast, but I could also blow out my eardrums (virtually
>> speaking :-).
>>

> I don't think goin down from 10K is goin to hurt anyone, without rippin
> the blinkin wings off the aircraft maun, but further up (altitude) it
> does. I was on a 727 the night Tricky Dicky resigned, leaving
> Indianapolis we were on board at the gate at the terminal, the captain put
> his "goodbye" speech on the intercom, the passengers applauded afterwards,
> and we were off to Kansas City. Somewhere in between over FL 030, about
> the time the stew was by our seat with the drink cart, everyones ears
> started popping, etc., the oxygen masks dropped from the overhead, women &
> girlie boys started screeming, the captain put it into a emergencey dive
> to FL010, and I observed the following: the seats in front of me were
> empty - the seats in front of that had a middle aged man going out of his
> mind because the masks in that row hadn't dropped, even though there was
> NO sign of any actual oxygen diprivation to anyone
> so I stood up on my seat and reached over to poke him on his sweaty head
> that there were three masks hanging in the row behind him, unused - he
> didn't go around the passegeway, but rather leaped over the seat backs to
> get one of the masks, totally un-needed, behind him. In the meantime, my
> seat mate, and I, helped ourselves to a six pack of beer on the cart
> abandented by the stew to help the other panicking passengers. When she
> returned a little later, after we had reached a "safe" altitude, she
> noticed the half dozen empty beer bottles, and declined our offer to pay
> for our indulgance while plummenting to our death.......... Of course we
> might have actually plummented to our death, but............... Actual
> problem was the crew lost automatic cabin pressure and had to resort to
> manual, which was a very finicky process according to my CFI, who was then
> a TWA 1st officer...

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:08:44 AM

CRaSH wrote:

> oxygen masks dropped from the overhead, women & girlie boys started
> screeming, the captain put it into a emergencey dive to FL010, and I

I can't believe you screamed, Don! I thought you had some cojones?
<g>

Marcel
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:01:50 PM

> In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
> handle in an unpressurized aircraft?

I just wanted to restate that the question involves an unpressurized
aircraft, which likely would be flying below FL200. I say this because
there are many comments about what happens at high altitudes and pressurized
aircraft and that kind of confuses things.
August 26, 2005 6:04:47 PM

Gary L. wrote:

> I just wanted to restate that the question involves an unpressurized
> aircraft, which likely would be flying below FL200.

Oh I donno, the unpressurized M/S Bell 206 can whiplash you up to FL600 in
nothing flat!!
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:38:14 PM

Couldn't agree more - CRaSH is a true Classic!

JW
"Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Great story, CRaSH......you slay me sometimes : )
>
> Arthur
>
> "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
>> Dallas wrote:
>>> "GeoffC"
>>>
>>> Normal GA ops. I was at 10k feet last night with a Cessna single in
>>> the mountains and the airfield was at 600 feet. I *could* get down
>>> pretty fast, but I could also blow out my eardrums (virtually
>>> speaking :-).
>>>

>> I don't think goin down from 10K is goin to hurt anyone, without rippin
>> the blinkin wings off the aircraft maun, but further up (altitude) it
>> does. I was on a 727 the night Tricky Dicky resigned, leaving
>> Indianapolis we were on board at the gate at the terminal, the captain
>> put his "goodbye" speech on the intercom, the passengers applauded
>> afterwards, and we were off to Kansas City. Somewhere in between over FL
>> 030, about the time the stew was by our seat with the drink cart,
>> everyones ears started popping, etc., the oxygen masks dropped from the
>> overhead, women & girlie boys started screeming, the captain put it into
>> a emergencey dive to FL010, and I observed the following: the seats in
>> front of me were empty - the seats in front of that had a middle aged man
>> going out of his mind because the masks in that row hadn't dropped, even
>> though there was NO sign of any actual oxygen diprivation to anyone
>> so I stood up on my seat and reached over to poke him on his sweaty head
>> that there were three masks hanging in the row behind him, unused - he
>> didn't go around the passegeway, but rather leaped over the seat backs to
>> get one of the masks, totally un-needed, behind him. In the meantime, my
>> seat mate, and I, helped ourselves to a six pack of beer on the cart
>> abandented by the stew to help the other panicking passengers. When she
>> returned a little later, after we had reached a "safe" altitude, she
>> noticed the half dozen empty beer bottles, and declined our offer to pay
>> for our indulgance while plummenting to our death.......... Of course we
>> might have actually plummented to our death, but............... Actual
>> problem was the crew lost automatic cabin pressure and had to resort to
>> manual, which was a very finicky process according to my CFI, who was
>> then a TWA 1st officer...

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:38:15 PM

Great story Crash but we all have to ask....................did you enjoy
the beer?

Ibby

"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Couldn't agree more - CRaSH is a true Classic!
>
> JW
> "Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Great story, CRaSH......you slay me sometimes : )
>>
>> Arthur
>>
>> "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't think goin down from 10K is goin to hurt anyone, without rippin
>>> the blinkin wings off the aircraft maun, but further up (altitude) it
>>> does. I was on a 727 the night Tricky Dicky resigned, leaving
>>> Indianapolis we were on board at the gate at the terminal, the captain
>>> put his "goodbye" speech on the intercom, the passengers applauded
>>> afterwards, and we were off to Kansas City. Somewhere in between over
>>> FL 030, about the time the stew was by our seat with the drink cart,
>>> everyones ears started popping, etc., the oxygen masks dropped from the
>>> overhead, women & girlie boys started screeming, the captain put it into
>>> a emergencey dive to FL010, and I observed the following: the seats in
>>> front of me were empty - the seats in front of that had a middle aged
>>> man going out of his mind because the masks in that row hadn't dropped,
>>> even though there was NO sign of any actual oxygen diprivation to anyone
>>> so I stood up on my seat and reached over to poke him on his sweaty head
>>> that there were three masks hanging in the row behind him, unused - he
>>> didn't go around the passegeway, but rather leaped over the seat backs
>>> to get one of the masks, totally un-needed, behind him. In the
>>> meantime, my seat mate, and I, helped ourselves to a six pack of beer on
>>> the cart abandented by the stew to help the other panicking passengers.
>>> When she returned a little later, after we had reached a "safe"
>>> altitude, she noticed the half dozen empty beer bottles, and declined
>>> our offer to pay for our indulgance while plummenting to our
>>> death.......... Of course we might have actually plummented to our
>>> death, but............... Actual problem was the crew lost automatic
>>> cabin pressure and had to resort to manual, which was a very finicky
>>> process according to my CFI, who was then a TWA 1st officer...

August 26, 2005 8:38:16 PM

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) wrote:
> Great story Crash but we all have to ask....................did you
> enjoy the beer?

Always - even Fosters!
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:38:17 PM

They always advertise Fosters as 'The Amber Nectar' in UK and depict it as
the favourite national beer for Australia but from what I have heard from my
wife's family from OZ and other sources its not well liked down under.

What does John Ward think of this brand of 'dizzy water'

Ibby

> Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) wrote:
>> Great story Crash but we all have to ask....................did you
>> enjoy the beer?
>>

> Always - even Fosters!

August 26, 2005 8:38:18 PM

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) wrote:

> What does John Ward think of this brand of 'dizzy water'

I believe he says it has great medicinal properties - for soaking your
feet...
August 26, 2005 10:09:31 PM

John Ward wrote:

> Always look on the bright side. :-)

You're right JW.. I tell myself "things could be worse" - and sur-nuff,
they get worse...

(naw, just kidding - I've had a marvelous time on this planet [not perfect
by any stretch], especially when you look at the nearly indescribable,
horrific, alternatives I could have been born into, or just have the pure
bad luck so many do endure, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion)
August 26, 2005 11:05:19 PM

"Beech45Whiskey"
> Thus, I watch the time to the approach waypoint with the GPS
> and when the time nears this calculated value,

Maybe momma will get you a Garmin GNS430 for Christmas? <g>

Dallas
August 26, 2005 11:35:48 PM

"Beech45Whiskey"
> Sorry, but the <g> ain't doing it for me. What's the joke?

Oh, I was referencing the 430's VNAV feature to keep you from having to
manually make all those calculations and flash a message to you.

The <g> was under the assumption that a 430 is a pretty expensive piece of
gear that most GA pilots can't cost justify and wouldn't it be nice if
someone gave one to you as a present.

Yeah, kinda obscure humor...

Now you're going to tell me you have one, right?

Dallas
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:35:49 PM

In article <wqpsqjkkicpw.dlg@ID-259643.user.individual.net>,
pjricc@gmail.com says...
> I would much prefer to hear it
> over the headsets rather than having to acknowledge a flashing message
> light on the GPS. For some reason the FAA didn't allow this feature when
> they were certifying these GPS's for IFR flight.

The FAA has some conservative ideas on what is good and what might
overload pilots. One would think that anything that kept eyes outside
the cockpit instead of on the instruments was good. It's particularly
hard to understand when one can plug just about anything (CD player,
cell phone, ...) into one's intercom panel.

/Chris T
August 27, 2005 12:32:32 AM

skydivers freefall with no pressurisation systems and they dont seem to be
bothered to much,

David

> In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
> handle in an unpressurized aircraft?
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:32:33 AM

True, but they dont skydive from 35000 ft where there is no/little air
pressure

Ibby

"David" <drdavid32@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> skydivers freefall with no pressurisation systems and they dont seem to be
> bothered to much,
>
> David
>

> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
>> handle in an unpressurized aircraft?
>>
>> Dallas

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:32:34 AM

<chris@mwapartnershipNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D emrl4$p6u$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com
> True, but they dont skydive from 35000 ft where there is no/little air
> pressure

Don't forget about military HALO jumpers, they jump from FL300 with oxygen
bottles, but I assume no pressure to the ears.

I understand a civilian skydiver in freefall typically falls at up to 130
MPH, which is 11,440 FPM!
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:32:35 AM

"Gary L." <noone@123.net> wrote:

>I understand a civilian skydiver in freefall typically falls at up to 130
>MPH, which is 11,440 FPM!

He, he - are you implying no-civilian skydivers fall at different
speeds? ;-)

The generally accepted average 'terminal velocity' is around 124mph or
200 kph - so you're close.

<http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml&gt;

-=tom=-
August 27, 2005 12:32:35 AM

"David"
> >> skydivers freefall with no pressurisation systems and they dont seem to
> >> be bothered to much,

Good point.

Dallas
August 27, 2005 12:49:35 AM

Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) wrote:

> They always advertise Fosters as 'The Amber Nectar' in UK and depict it as
> the favourite national beer for Australia but from what I have heard from my
> wife's family from OZ and other sources its not well liked down under.
>
> What does John Ward think of this brand of 'dizzy water'
>
> Ibby

Here are the commercials in the USA. Fosters, Australian for "BEER"

http://flightsims.vze.com/adverts

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
August 27, 2005 2:17:05 AM

> Yes, it came with the airplane. You and I have had this discussion
> before. Maybe I should change my moniker back to the original one to
> prevent all of this identity confusion as of late. Anyway, here is a
> picture of my V35 panel somewhere above south central Kansas, USA:
>
> http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/BE35panel.JPG

Wow! That looks as good as a real one :-)

--
Sincerely,
Quilljar

Quilljar wrote:

> Wow! That looks as good as a real one :-)

ROFLMAO!!!

sigh.....

Peter,
A discription of "very nice" would be a gross understatement!!
Excuse me while I find a faded photo of my favorite 1967 150's panel, with
the only extravagance being a factory POS nav/com radio...
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:46:31 AM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:26:22 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
>handle in an unpressurized aircraft?
>
>Dallas

Ears popping, and potential painful reactions in some people are just
one reason good IRL pilots plan for a gradual descent. Another good
reason is to prevent "shock cooling", which happens when you pull the
throttle and dive with an air-cooled engine. The rapid cooling of the
outer parts, heads, mainfolds, etc. can cause cracking and pre-mature
engine failures.
August 27, 2005 7:58:25 AM

"Beech45Whiskey"
> Yes, it came with the airplane. You and I have had this discussion
before.
> http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/BE35panel.JPG

I don't recall the GNS430 discussion.. and remember, I'm the guy who
remembers the fly backflip landings.

PS. I had the same reaction as Quilly, "Hey that's a good VC, I wonder if
it's a Dreamfleet". :-)

Nice cockpit. Serious question, what is that display above the 430? And
what's the little gizmo with all the connectors that looks like an MP3
player? .... an MP3 player?

Even more serious question, why did Beech build that "swing arm yoke"... I
don't get why that's of any benefit.

Dallas
August 27, 2005 8:01:31 AM

"S Herman"
> Another good reason is to prevent "shock cooling",

Hey, how'd you learn so much about aviation on a tuna boat? :-)

Dallas
August 27, 2005 8:06:28 AM

"Beech45Whiskey"
> downloaded NEXRAD
> and other weather via WSI satellite weather.

I learn something from this group everyday... I didn't know that
technology was even available.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:50:56 AM

In practice I have no idea :p  In theory, however, your passengers should be
able to "handle" 32 feet/ second/ second until they reach terminal velocity
of around 10,500 feet per minute! They won't like this decent profile, but
they could handle it at least until the ground interferes *VEG*.

How do I know they can handle it? Think skydiving!

Regards,
Rand

> In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
> handle in an unpressurized aircraft?
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:05:44 AM

Jeez, I really should read the entire thread before I post!
Dave and some others already made the point about skydivers.

Rand (going back into lurk mode )

"Rand Smedley" <rand_smedley@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> In practice I have no idea :p  In theory, however, your passengers should
> be able to "handle" 32 feet/ second/ second until they reach terminal
> velocity of around 10,500 feet per minute! They won't like this decent
> profile, but they could handle it at least until the ground interferes
> *VEG*.
>
> How do I know they can handle it? Think skydiving!
>
> Regards,
> Rand
>

> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
>> handle in an unpressurized aircraft?
>>
>> Dallas

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:26:44 AM

Hi Ibby,

Not bad, mate, if there's NOTHING else available, but Panther Piss is
better! :-)

Regards,
John Ward
news:D en6lf$g0n$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> They always advertise Fosters as 'The Amber Nectar' in UK and depict it as
> the favourite national beer for Australia but from what I have heard from
> my wife's family from OZ and other sources its not well liked down under.
>
> What does John Ward think of this brand of 'dizzy water'
>
> Ibby
>
> "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
>> Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris) wrote:
>>> Great story Crash but we all have to ask....................did you
>>> enjoy the beer?
>>>

>> Always - even Fosters!

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:20:04 PM

"Tom Orle" <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Gary L." <noone@123.net> wrote:
>
>>I understand a civilian skydiver in freefall typically falls at up to 130
>>MPH, which is 11,440 FPM!
>>

> He, he - are you implying no-civilian skydivers fall at different
> speeds? ;-)

As a matter of fact, yes! Terminal velocity depends on wind resistance.
Wind resistance varies by the shape a skydiver makes, so the "belly flop"
position that most civilian skydivers use gives the most resistance, but if
you fall feet first your more aero-dynamic shape will decrease wind
resistance (thus increasing terminal velocity). I'm not saying military
jumpers use this position, just that terminal velocity is affected by
variables.

And, at high altitudes the thin air produces less resistance, so your
terminal velocity (in true airspeed) will be higher at higher elevations and
slows down as you descend (but I guess in KIAS it would be the same).
That's why I say a civilian skydiver would fall at different speed since a
military HALO jumper would be falling through thinner air. There was even
an Air Force Airman who was the first person to break the sound barrier
without being inside a vehicle when he jumped from a balloon. Don't
remember the details but he jumped from something like 60,000 or 80,000 ft.
wearing a pressure suit.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:36:10 PM

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> I don't think goin down from 10K is goin to hurt anyone, without rippin
the
> blinkin wings off the aircraft maun, but further up (altitude) it does.

The pressure differences between 0 - 10k, and 10k - 30k feet aren't that
much different considering the pressure lapse rate lessens with altitude.
Pressure at sea level (ISA) is 1013 mb, 10k' is 700 mb and 30k' is 300 mb.
The greatest changes in pressure for a given altitude change occur at lower
altitudes. Which is why it's not safe to fly with blocked sinuses in an
unpressurised ac thinking "I wont go very high anyway".

Having said that, the risk of hypoxia and temperature effects are great at
high altitude.

Si
August 27, 2005 7:53:50 PM

yeah but you are not going to be going much above 10,000 in an unpresurrised
aircraft without O2 and jets that cruise at FL300 pressurise the cabin
equivalent to about 8000 feet

so when jets descend you in the cabin are really only going from about 8000
to airfield height which is going to be a lot slower than freefall

I made the mistake of trying to open a bottle of coke in a glider which took
off at about 1000 feet field elevation and tried to open it at 9000 feet :)
reminds me of watching my mates face when i put that empty bottle of coke
that i filled with air at 30 metres under water on the back of his scuba
tank, and as he neared the surface you can guess what the sound effects
were like, i dont think he got that brown stain out of his wet suit :)  :)

"Ibby (The Artist Formerly Known as Chris)"
<chris@mwapartnershipNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D emrl4$p6u$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> True, but they dont skydive from 35000 ft where there is no/little air
> pressure
>
> Ibby
>
> "David" <drdavid32@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> skydivers freefall with no pressurisation systems and they dont seem to
>> be bothered to much,
>>
>> David
>>

>> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>> In practice, what's the maximum rate of descent that your passengers can
>>> handle in an unpressurized aircraft?
>>>
>>> Dallas

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:07:02 PM

Hi Varmit,

Speaks volumes for the addon folks, I reckon, mate - I had the same
first impression!

Can't wait to support Bill Leaming, and get the Eaglesoft Cirrus on
Monday.

The only thing that bothers me about PR's cockpit is that there are so
many switches, dials, and knobs for his wife +/or son to tangle with
inadvertently, in such a confined space.....

You know how it can be - wives will be wives, and kids will be kids, and
both for so many years!!

Having said that, I can't imagine any greater thrill, for both the Dad
and the son, than for them to have flights together in Dad's
plane......WOW!!!

Combine that eventually with a camera, for the son to get familiar with,
and we may eventually have another regular contributor to this group, if
we're lucky!

Regards,
John Ward

> "Beech45Whiskey"
>> Yes, it came with the airplane. You and I have had this discussion
> before.
>> http://thericcs.net/aviation/misc/BE35panel.JPG
>
> I don't recall the GNS430 discussion.. and remember, I'm the guy who
> remembers the fly backflip landings.
>
> PS. I had the same reaction as Quilly, "Hey that's a good VC, I wonder if
> it's a Dreamfleet". :-)
>
> Nice cockpit. Serious question, what is that display above the 430? And
> what's the little gizmo with all the connectors that looks like an MP3
> player? .... an MP3 player?
>
> Even more serious question, why did Beech build that "swing arm yoke"...
> don't get why that's of any benefit.
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:07:03 PM

>> Even more serious question, why did Beech build that "swing arm
>> yoke"... I
>> don't get why that's of any benefit.
>>
>> Dallas

I would guess it is meant as a compromise between a yoke and stick? The lack
of a right hand part gives a lot more room in that part of the cockpit to
use your right arm for the knobs. Do they offer a left handed version?

--
Sincerely,
Quilljar

Actually, its what's called a "throw-over yoke".

You can switch it between the left seat and the right seat by pivoting it
around the tube which goes into the center of the panel...

news:D epfen$fkv$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> >> Even more serious question, why did Beech build that "swing arm
> >> yoke"... I
> >> don't get why that's of any benefit.
> >>
> >> Dallas
>
> I would guess it is meant as a compromise between a yoke and stick? The
lack
> of a right hand part gives a lot more room in that part of the cockpit to
> use your right arm for the knobs. Do they offer a left handed version?
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> Quilljar

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:09:34 PM

And, additionally, what are the implications re such WWII radial engine
planes as the Fw 190, and P-47 Thunderbolt?

JW

> "S Herman"
>> Another good reason is to prevent "shock cooling",
>
> Hey, how'd you learn so much about aviation on a tuna boat? :-)
>

> Dallas

August 27, 2005 11:55:32 PM

"Beech45Whiskey"
> My children are NOT the types that adults dread to sit near on a
commercial
> flight or in a restaurant.

Bless you dear Peter for not raising a set of millennium brats.

In our day (sounding like a codger) most children sat quietly without
bothering anybody. And, nobody had to hit us to make us behave, the parents
just had to give you "that look".

Today, a large percentage of American children are raised with some sort of
relaxed discipline method as if the parents are afraid their kids won't like
them if they are strict.

"Stop that Derek, or I'll give you a time out."

:-(

[end rant mode]

Dallas
August 28, 2005 12:10:13 AM

"Beech45Whiskey"
> XM radio and WSI are the two leading providers of satellite-sourced
> aviation weather these days.

We've come a long way... In the 80s my friend with the Baron used to call
me, sometimes long distance, and ask me to turn on cable TV to give him a
radar report. He used to bitch that the FSS operators would reply,
"Thunderstorms?...I donno..", and he'd say to them "Why don't you guys just
get cable TV?"

Does on-board radar have any unique advantages over satellite-sourced
weather or can these units replace them?

Dallas
August 28, 2005 9:32:32 AM

"Beech45Whiskey"
> I had the composite NEXRAD site open in a browser to really grasp the
> complete weather.

What site is that? Is it part of WSI?

Dallas
August 28, 2005 10:13:29 AM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:

> Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:
>

>>Today, a large percentage of American children are raised with some sort of
>>relaxed discipline method as if the parents are afraid their kids won't like
>>them if they are strict.
>

> Sadly, we are the strictest parents of any of our friends and relatives at
> our age. The negotiations, repeated threats without follow-up, and blatant
> disregard for their children's misbehaving is sickening.
>
> This is a sore subject with me, too, and I promise to stop now.

My long term memory seems fairly intact. Enough so that I can remember
each of the paddles that reddened my butt in school each time I deserved
it. I never had to get counseling because of the *abuse*. But I did
learn to NOT do whatever it was that got me into trouble in the first
place. I think I turned out OK. :)

(PS. I won't go into the times my Mom corrected me)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
August 28, 2005 10:28:44 AM

"boB"
> My long term memory seems fairly intact. Enough so that I can remember
> each of the paddles that reddened my butt in school each time I deserved
> it.

Yeah, I got the paddle one time. Breathtakingly painful... and very
effective at the point across. I can't believe they can't do that in
today's schools.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:08:45 AM

And I would add Attention to detail, Attention to detail, Attention to
detail. :-)

JW
"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> John Ward <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> The only thing that bothers me about PR's cockpit is that there are
>> so
>> many switches, dials, and knobs for his wife +/or son to tangle with
>> inadvertently, in such a confined space.....
>
> Discipline, discipline, discipline, dear John. :)
>
> My children are NOT the types that adults dread to sit near on a
> commercial
> flight or in a restaurant.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:09:38 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 04:01:31 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>"S Herman"
>> Another good reason is to prevent "shock cooling",
>
>Hey, how'd you learn so much about aviation on a tuna boat? :-)
>

>Dallas

I'm a 150hr Private Pilot Single Engine Land, Instrument Student :-).
I read a lot and BS whenever I can at the airport every chance I get!
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:14:06 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:09:34 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>And, additionally, what are the implications re such WWII radial engine
>planes as the Fw 190, and P-47 Thunderbolt?
>
>JW

Don't know for sure, but the principle remains true.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 8:28:07 PM

Hi,

You can definitely shock cool them. They use (among other engines) the
R-2800 which is the same as in the DC-6. My DC-6 flight manual says not
to reduce the MAP on descent more than 3" per minute.

Now I assume that the WWII fighters were a lot tougher on their engines
than that, but if you shock cool an engine really badly, you are risking
a blown cylinder or worse.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco

Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com

John Ward wrote:
> And, additionally, what are the implications re such WWII radial engine
> planes as the Fw 190, and P-47 Thunderbolt?
>
> JW
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>
>>"S Herman"
>>
>>>Another good reason is to prevent "shock cooling",
>>
>>Hey, how'd you learn so much about aviation on a tuna boat? :-)
>>

>>Dallas

August 31, 2005 6:38:13 AM

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:38:14 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Couldn't agree more - CRaSH is a true Classic!
>
>JW
>"Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Great story, CRaSH......you slay me sometimes : )
>>
>> Arthur
>>
>> "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message

Descents will definately not blow your ear drums out. In maybe, but
not out.

>>> I don't think goin down from 10K is goin to hurt anyone, without rippin
>>> the blinkin wings off the aircraft maun, but further up (altitude) it

In an unpressurized plane about a 1000 fpm from 10,000 is about as
fast as you will want to descend unless everyone has very good sinuses
that are open and free. Any congestion at all and you will be in
pain. With plugged sinuses 3,000 feet is enough to shatter bone.

>>> does. I was on a 727 the night Tricky Dicky resigned, leaving
>>> Indianapolis we were on board at the gate at the terminal, the captain
>>> put his "goodbye" speech on the intercom, the passengers applauded
>>> afterwards, and we were off to Kansas City. Somewhere in between over FL
>>> 030, about the time the stew was by our seat with the drink cart,
>>> everyones ears started popping, etc., the oxygen masks dropped from the
>>> overhead, women & girlie boys started screeming, the captain put it into
>>> a emergencey dive to FL010, and I observed the following: the seats in
>>> front of me were empty - the seats in front of that had a middle aged man
>>> going out of his mind because the masks in that row hadn't dropped, even
>>> though there was NO sign of any actual oxygen diprivation to anyone

Most people would have been in pain at that point due to the drastic
reduction in pressure, not from the rapid descent.
At altitude you have about 10 to 20 seconds of consciouness with a
complete loss of pressure without supplemental Oxygen.

The people don't notice the lack of Oxygen. The sensitive ones notice
the drop in pressure.

Take a ride in the altitude chamber. They take you up, check you out
and blow the diaphram. Then you set there talking over the intercom
and writting your name. Nealy every one thinks they are doing one
great job until they see what they wrote and hear how they sounded.

In general, altitude sickness, or Oxygen depravation is like losing
your judgemental ability or getting drunk. You lose the ability to
recognize that there is anything wrong.

A few people suffer side effects shuch as nausia, gas (don't eat beans
before a chamber test<LOL>) but it's not funny as it can cause
unbelieveable pain and the equivelant of what divers call rapture of
the deep.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>>> so I stood up on my seat and reached over to poke him on his sweaty head
>>> that there were three masks hanging in the row behind him, unused - he
>>> didn't go around the passegeway, but rather leaped over the seat backs to
>>> get one of the masks, totally un-needed, behind him. In the meantime, my
>>> seat mate, and I, helped ourselves to a six pack of beer on the cart
>>> abandented by the stew to help the other panicking passengers. When she
>>> returned a little later, after we had reached a "safe" altitude, she
>>> noticed the half dozen empty beer bottles, and declined our offer to pay
>>> for our indulgance while plummenting to our death.......... Of course we
>>> might have actually plummented to our death, but............... Actual
>>> problem was the crew lost automatic cabin pressure and had to resort to
>>> manual, which was a very finicky process according to my CFI, who was
>>> then a TWA 1st officer...

      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest