SP2 opens programs folder

September 22, 2004 12:12:02 PM

Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
can I stop this?
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:57:43 AM

Hi Torsten,

This can be caused by leftovers from cleaning up spyware. Try this:

Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, uncheck the line "restore previous
folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do not reboot yet.

Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
apply/ok and reboot at prompted.

The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?

For most users, this will resolve the issue. For some that still have
registry damage it will not. If this is the case, could you please export
and post the contents of these keys in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
examination.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Torsten" <torsten.pihl@telia.com> wrote in message
> Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> can I stop this?
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:47:02 PM

"Torsten" wrote:

> Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> can I stop this?

September 23, 2004 12:55:06 PM

Hi Rick
Thanks for the suggestions.
The "restore previous folder widows at logon" was already unchecked, so I
did not try anything there.

Here are the copied files. (if there are words you don't understand they are
in Swedish):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"Microsoft Works Portfolio"="C:\\Program\\Microsoft Works\\WksSb.exe
/AllUsers"
"Microsoft Works Update Detection"="C:\\Program\\Microsoft
Works\\WkDetect.exe"
"NAV Agent"="C:\\Program\\NORTON~1\\navapw32.exe"
"AdaptecDirectCD"="C:\\Program\\Roxio\\Easy CD Creator
5\\DirectCD\\DirectCD.exe"
"HPDJ Taskbar
Utility"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\spool\\drivers\\w32x86\\3\\hpztsb07.exe"
"POINTER"="point32.exe"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"AltnetPointsManager"="c:\\program files\\altnet\\points manager\\points
manager.exe -s"
"TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade filer\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\"
-osboot"
"msnappau"="\"C:\\Program\\MSN
Apps\\Updater\\01.02.3000.1001\\sv\\msnappau.exe\""
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"New.net Startup"="rundll32
C:\\Program\\NEWDOT~1\\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup -s"
"P2P Networking"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\P2P Networking\\P2P Networking.exe
/AUTOSTART"
"SearchUpgrader"="C:\\Program\\Common
files\\SearchUpgrader\\SearchUpgrader.exe"
"CMESys"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade filer\\CMEII\\CMESys.exe\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"

and

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"CTFMON.EXE"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit"
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\Program\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe"

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> This can be caused by leftovers from cleaning up spyware. Try this:
>
> Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, uncheck the line "restore previous
> folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do not reboot yet.
>
> Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
> apply/ok and reboot at prompted.
>
> The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
> normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?
>
> For most users, this will resolve the issue. For some that still have
> registry damage it will not. If this is the case, could you please export
> and post the contents of these keys in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
> at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
> save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
> editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
> should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
> this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
> contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
> examination.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Torsten" <torsten.pihl@telia.com> wrote in message
> > Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> > desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> > the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> > seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> > can I stop this?

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 11:11:28 PM

Hi,

All these are a problem:

"TkBellExe"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade
filer\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
"msnappau"="\"C:\\Program\\MSN
Apps\\Updater\\01.02.3000.1001\\sv\\msnappau.exe\""
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"New.net Startup"="rundll32
C:\\Program\\NEWDOT~1\\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup -s"
"P2P Networking"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\P2P Networking\\P2P Networking.exe
/AUTOSTART"
"SearchUpgrader"="C:\\Program\\Common
files\\SearchUpgrader\\SearchUpgrader.exe"
"CMESys"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade filer\\CMEII\\CMESys.exe\""

Disable them (use msconfig). As to the earlier steps, if it's already
unchecked, recheck it, then reboot and follow the steps anyways.

--

"Torsten" <Torsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
>> editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit,
>> it
>> should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response
>> this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
>> contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
>> examination.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Torsten" <torsten.pihl@telia.com> wrote in message
>> > Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
>> > desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
>> > the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
>> > seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 4:59:01 AM

Hi Rick
I tried this but the folder still pops up. Don't know if I did all the steps
the right way. When I run msconfig a window pops up with a number of tabs -
the last one marked "autostart". If I uncheck the options you listed in your
last message, and look at the first - "general" - tab (the one with the
start-up options) the last alternative (called "selective start-up" in
Swedish - could be something else in English) has been automatically marked.
If I change to Diagnostic mode and re-boot, the programs folder doesn't show
up. If I then mark the normal start-up option and look under the auto-start
tab, all the previously unchecked items have been checked again, and if I
re-boot then the d***d program folder pops up after a few seconds.

I've also tried to uncheck and recheck the "restore previous windows..."
under the control panel/folder options/view tab, but this doesn't seem to
make any difference.

If you have any more suggestions I'd be happy to try them. Otherwise I will
just have to live with the situation.
Many thanks for your help this far, anyway.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> >>
> >> To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this
> >> one
> >> at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
> >> save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
> >> editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit,
> >> it
> >> should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response
> >> this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
> >> contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
> >> examination.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 10:17:59 AM

Hi Torsten,

Use the selective startup mode, and disable the ones I indicated previously.
Reboot, and see if the folder still pops up. If it does, copy/paste the
contents of thei registry key in the same fashion as before:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

The fact that it doesn't popup in diagnostic mode is an indication that it
is definitely being caused by one of the normal startup programs.

--

news:D 7C8B261-4DF7-47E8-A80A-4F62249DD254@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > "CMESys"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade filer\\CMEII\\CMESys.exe\""
>> >
>> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]
>> >
>> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
>> > "Installed"="1"
>> >
>> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
>> > "Installed"="1"
>> > "NoChange"="1"
>> >
>> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
>> > "Installed"="1"
>> >

>> > and
>> >
>> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>> >
>> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
>> > "CTFMON.EXE"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
>> > "NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE
>> > C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit"

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 12:30:36 PM

Torsten wrote:
> Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> can I stop this?

Do you have auto-focus on? (This causes the focus of the mouse to
jump automaticly to whatever the mouse happens to be over at the moment.)
September 25, 2004 1:57:02 PM

I am having the same problem but it's My Documents folder that jumps open.
Have you had any luck with a solution?
Carol

"Torsten" wrote:

> Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> can I stop this?

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 5:45:01 AM

Where could I see this? Anyway, I did not have the problem earlier, and I
haven't changed any settings since I downloaded SP2

"Rick Merrill" wrote:

> Torsten wrote:
> > Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> > desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> > the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> > seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> > can I stop this?
>
> Do you have auto-focus on? (This causes the focus of the mouse to
> jump automaticly to whatever the mouse happens to be over at the moment.)

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 5:47:04 AM

No it's still there but I'm trying different suggestions as posted by Rick

"carol" wrote:

> I am having the same problem but it's My Documents folder that jumps open.
> Have you had any luck with a solution?
> Carol
>
> "Torsten" wrote:
>
> > Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> > desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> > the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> > seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> > can I stop this?

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:01:02 AM

OK - tried this and the folder still pops up. FYI - when I unchecked the
files in the Auto-start tab the checkmark on the selective start-up menu
changed to a filled box. Perhaps this is as it should be.

Anyway, here is the copy of the registry key (By the way - "Delade filer"
means shared files):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\CMESys]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="CMESys"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade filer\\CMEII\\CMESys.exe\""
"inimapping"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\msnappau]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="msnappau"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="\"C:\\Program\\MSN
Apps\\Updater\\01.02.3000.1001\\sv\\msnappau.exe\""
"inimapping"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\New.net Startup]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="NEWDOT~2"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="rundll32 C:\\Program\\NEWDOT~1\\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup -s"
"inimapping"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\P2P
Networking]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="P2P Networking"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\P2P Networking\\P2P Networking.exe
/AUTOSTART"
"inimapping"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\QuickTime Task]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="qttask"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="\"C:\\Program\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"inimapping"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\SearchUpgrader]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="SearchUpgrader"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="C:\\Program\\Common files\\SearchUpgrader\\SearchUpgrader.exe"
"inimapping"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\TkBellExe]
"key"="SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run"
"item"="realsched"
"hkey"="HKLM"
"command"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade filer\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\"
-osboot"
"inimapping"="0"

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
> >> filer\\Real\\Update_OB\\realsched.exe\" -osboot"
> >> "msnappau"="\"C:\\Program\\MSN
> >> Apps\\Updater\\01.02.3000.1001\\sv\\msnappau.exe\""
> >> "QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
> >> "New.net Startup"="rundll32
> >> C:\\Program\\NEWDOT~1\\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup -s"
> >> "P2P Networking"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\P2P Networking\\P2P
> >> Networking.exe
> >> /AUTOSTART"
> >> "SearchUpgrader"="C:\\Program\\Common
> >> files\\SearchUpgrader\\SearchUpgrader.exe"
> >> "CMESys"="\"C:\\Program\\Delade filer\\CMEII\\CMESys.exe\""
> >>
> >> Disable them (use msconfig). As to the earlier steps, if it's already
> >> unchecked, recheck it, then reboot and follow the steps anyways.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 10:07:20 AM

Hi Torsten,

You still have some nasty spyware loading...Specifically:

P2P networking.exe (A browser helper object that downloads ads)
Newdotnet (garbage from your friends at newdotnet)
Cmesys.exe (this is from gator)
SearchUpgrader.exe (another ad downloader)

Plus, these are unnecessary:

Qttask.exe (from QuickTime)
Realsched.exe (from RealOne networks)

Both of the programs can be used without those files loading. You need to
get rid of the spy programs, use both of these utilities (both are free):

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

Once removed, we can rerun the original steps to stop the folder from
opening at boot. This is very common with spyware and SP2 installations.

--

> OK - tried this and the folder still pops up. FYI - when I unchecked the
> files in the Auto-start tab the checkmark on the selective start-up menu
> changed to a filled box. Perhaps this is as it should be.
>
> Anyway, here is the copy of the registry key (By the way - "Delade filer"
> means shared files):

<snipped as this was getting too long>
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 8:49:06 AM

Hi Rick
Have been away for some time so could not try your suggestions before. I've
run adaware, and quarantined all programs that came up. I've also deleted
items that were on my "ignore" list in adaware, just to get rid of
everything. I have tried to clear (uncheck) the programs you listed, under
msconfig/autostart. However, this does not help, and when I run the 'normal'
boot-up afterwards, all the unchecked programs have been re-checked again.
I have not dared to try but can you remove the programs on the
msconfig/auto-start tab by highlighting them and hitting the delete key?

Any more suggestions?

Torsten

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> You still have some nasty spyware loading...Specifically:
>
> P2P networking.exe (A browser helper object that downloads ads)
> Newdotnet (garbage from your friends at newdotnet)
> Cmesys.exe (this is from gator)
> SearchUpgrader.exe (another ad downloader)
>
> Plus, these are unnecessary:
>
> Qttask.exe (from QuickTime)
> Realsched.exe (from RealOne networks)
>
> Both of the programs can be used without those files loading. You need to
> get rid of the spy programs, use both of these utilities (both are free):
>
> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>
> Once removed, we can rerun the original steps to stop the folder from
> opening at boot. This is very common with spyware and SP2 installations.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Torsten" <Torsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK - tried this and the folder still pops up. FYI - when I unchecked the
> > files in the Auto-start tab the checkmark on the selective start-up menu
> > changed to a filled box. Perhaps this is as it should be.
> >
> > Anyway, here is the copy of the registry key (By the way - "Delade filer"
> > means shared files):
>
> <snipped as this was getting too long>

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:20:01 PM

Hi Torsten,

Don't go back to normal startup, go to selective. You need to prevent them
from loading if you are not going to remove them. There is nothing wrong
with leaving the system in this mode. Also, no you cannot delete them from
the startup loop in the fashion you describe, it has to be done through the
program's settings or the registry.

--

> Hi Rick
> Have been away for some time so could not try your suggestions before.
> I've
> run adaware, and quarantined all programs that came up. I've also deleted
> items that were on my "ignore" list in adaware, just to get rid of
> everything. I have tried to clear (uncheck) the programs you listed, under
> msconfig/autostart. However, this does not help, and when I run the
> 'normal'
> boot-up afterwards, all the unchecked programs have been re-checked again.
> I have not dared to try but can you remove the programs on the
> msconfig/auto-start tab by highlighting them and hitting the delete key?
>
> Any more suggestions?
>
> Torsten
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Torsten,
>>
>> You still have some nasty spyware loading...Specifically:
>>
>> P2P networking.exe (A browser helper object that downloads ads)
>> Newdotnet (garbage from your friends at newdotnet)
>> Cmesys.exe (this is from gator)
>> SearchUpgrader.exe (another ad downloader)
>>
>> Plus, these are unnecessary:
>>
>> Qttask.exe (from QuickTime)
>> Realsched.exe (from RealOne networks)
>>
>> Both of the programs can be used without those files loading. You need to
>> get rid of the spy programs, use both of these utilities (both are free):
>>
>> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
>> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
>>
>> Once removed, we can rerun the original steps to stop the folder from
>> opening at boot. This is very common with spyware and SP2 installations.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Torsten" <Torsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OK - tried this and the folder still pops up. FYI - when I unchecked
>> > the
>> > files in the Auto-start tab the checkmark on the selective start-up
>> > menu
>> > changed to a filled box. Perhaps this is as it should be.
>> >
>> > Anyway, here is the copy of the registry key (By the way - "Delade
>> > filer"
>> > means shared files):
>>
>> <snipped as this was getting too long>

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:49:44 PM

Torsten wrote:

> Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> can I stop this?

could there be a shortcut to the "programs folder" in the windows
"startup" folder? - RM
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:05:07 PM

Rick
I think I have finally managed to get rid of the problem. I went thorough
all the files in the msconfig/autostart tab (unchecked them one by one) to
see which one caused the programs folder to open at boot-up. As you suspected
it was one of the P2P programs - from Altnet - and luckily enough this also
had an uninstall option included. When I ran that the PC is back to normal.
Many thanks for all your help and many suggestions

Torsten

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Torsten,
>
> Don't go back to normal startup, go to selective. You need to prevent them
> from loading if you are not going to remove them. There is nothing wrong
> with leaving the system in this mode. Also, no you cannot delete them from
> the startup loop in the fashion you describe, it has to be done through the
> program's settings or the registry.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Torsten" <Torsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick
> > Have been away for some time so could not try your suggestions before.
> > I've
> > run adaware, and quarantined all programs that came up. I've also deleted
> > items that were on my "ignore" list in adaware, just to get rid of
> > everything. I have tried to clear (uncheck) the programs you listed, under
> > msconfig/autostart. However, this does not help, and when I run the
> > 'normal'
> > boot-up afterwards, all the unchecked programs have been re-checked again.
> > I have not dared to try but can you remove the programs on the
> > msconfig/auto-start tab by highlighting them and hitting the delete key?
> >
> > Any more suggestions?
> >
> > Torsten
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Torsten,
> >>
> >> You still have some nasty spyware loading...Specifically:
> >>
> >> P2P networking.exe (A browser helper object that downloads ads)
> >> Newdotnet (garbage from your friends at newdotnet)
> >> Cmesys.exe (this is from gator)
> >> SearchUpgrader.exe (another ad downloader)
> >>
> >> Plus, these are unnecessary:
> >>
> >> Qttask.exe (from QuickTime)
> >> Realsched.exe (from RealOne networks)
> >>
> >> Both of the programs can be used without those files loading. You need to
> >> get rid of the spy programs, use both of these utilities (both are free):
> >>
> >> Adaware www.lavasoft.de
> >> Spybot www.safer-networking.org
> >>
> >> Once removed, we can rerun the original steps to stop the folder from
> >> opening at boot. This is very common with spyware and SP2 installations.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Torsten" <Torsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> <snipped as this was getting too long>

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:09:03 PM

I think I have finally managed to get rid of the problem. I went thorough all
the files in the msconfig/autostart tab (unchecked them one by one) to see
which one caused the programs folder to open at boot-up (in your case it
would be the My documents folder). I found it was one of the P2P programs -

"Torsten" wrote:

> No it's still there but I'm trying different suggestions as posted by Rick
>
> "carol" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem but it's My Documents folder that jumps open.
> > Have you had any luck with a solution?
> > Carol
> >
> > "Torsten" wrote:
> >
> > > Earlier when I logged on my PC XP opened in the normal
> > > desktop window. After downloading SP2 it now opens with
> > > the desktop but jumps to the Programs folder after a few
> > > seconds. Not a great problem, but somewhat annoying. How
> > > can I stop this?

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:21:33 AM

Glad to hear it Torsten. Most P2P programs cause some manner of problems,
it's just a matter of degree. Thanks for the feedback.

--

!