Hard Drive not Recognized

the_zimbabwa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I have two hard drives; an older 20gb hard drive that is was forced to use to install Windows 7 and a 1tb Seagate Constellation ES ST31000424SS SAS hdd. Neither my bios nor the disk manager in Windows 7 are recognizing the 1tb drive. I have checked and rechecked the connections and power and both seem fine. In all my computer has in it:
-Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mother board
-8 gigs of ram
-an i7 quadcore bloomfield processor
-nvidia quadro workstation graphics card
This is my first build but i have been looking for some time at different threads and i can not find a solution to the problem. The Constellation is an SAS drive that I'm using a converter cable to change into SATA connections. The url for the converter is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198030&cm_re=SAS_cable-_-12-198-030-_-Product
Any help would be appreciated. And thanks in advanced.

omnipanzer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Is the 20gb drive IDE I assume? I ask because it could also be an old 2.5 SATA. Is the 1tb recognized in the bios? If not does it show up in the bios if you pull the 20gb. That adapter or a mix of IDE and SATA could easily be causing you your problems. I've had a similar problem in the past.

the_zimbabwa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
I've tried to find the drive on bios with it being the only drive and it still is not recognized. And the reason I used the 20gb hard drive was that it was the only one on hand and the computer had to be up and running at least with the bare necessities.