Need new Rig. You're the designer.

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
So I'm heading off to college. I've always been a heavy gamer but have suffered through so-so machines that don't perform at the framerates I want. I want to take a nice, performance machine to college with me to game with the other guys in my dorm.

I'm looking to spend about $1500-$1600 on it and would like to, in the future, allow the machine to play the newest titles (at least for the next year).

I know all of you are more than knowledgable on the subject. I've done some reasearch and threw together a system and now I want to see what the rest of you would build if it were you putting together a new system.

Let's see your best.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
OK, first of all, are their any guidelines. Like do you want newest but not as tested, or the not brand new that is very fast and really well tested?
Meaning do you want AM2 or 939. Or do you want AMD at all. Please be more specific.

DDay

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Also, does this need to include things such as monitor, keyboard, mouse, and games? If so, this changes things greatly.

DDay

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
So I'm heading off to college. I've always been a heavy gamer but have suffered through so-so machines that don't perform at the framerates I want. I want to take a nice, performance machine to college with me to game with the other guys in my dorm.

I'm looking to spend about $1500-$1600 on it and would like to, in the future, allow the machine to play the newest titles (at least for the next year).

I know all of you are more than knowledgable on the subject. I've done some reasearch and threw together a system and now I want to see what the rest of you would build if it were you putting together a new system.

Let's see your best.

Post your specs that you threw together and let us comment on it. That will get you far more replies and better help. :)

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
No, peripherals need not be included. I have a nice set of Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and a 17" LCD monitor. I want something fast and powerful. I don't think AM2 is the end all be all. But this is completely open to discussion. Which do you think is best? AM2 or 939? I feel like the 939 versions would fit my needs assuming I got something Dual Core (Opteron or X2). The second thing is... I know new things will constantly be coming out and realize I'll just have to bit the bullet, so to speak, and get something. Hell, for all we know, there could be a new socket type and quad core processors by Q2 of 2007. Is everyone going to change to them? No, but some will. And I don't think 939 will obsolete in 2 months; like some are saying. It's more a matter of performance and meeting your needs. All I want is something that will allow me to comfortably play games.

My setup that I threw together:

DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
Opteron 165 939 (would OC to around 2.4-2.5)
(2x1GB OCZ PC4000 RAM)
MSI Radeon X1900XTX GFX
Silverstone 560W PSU (28A @ 12V rail)
Lian Li PC-60B Case
Need suggestions on cooling

I know this is a 939 setup which I'd be buying on the verge of Conroe and the alreday released AM2. So don't bitch at me for that.

I'd OC the vid card only a touch (my room is hot for the summer).

I know these things are tried, tested, and true and will give me some very nice performance specs.

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Also, does this need to include things such as monitor, keyboard, mouse, and games? If so, this changes things greatly.

DDay

I notice your setup is practically mine... What are your 3DMark03 scores??

I assume you game as well. Any average frame rates with HL2 of BF2?

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I don't have mine built yet, but from what I can tell in my research. And believe me, I've researched ALOT. It should be pretty damn good. Really, your set up should be able to go MAX on pretty much any game for the next 2 years. 3 years, most games. By then you will upgrade. Really, you should be pretty happy. And its way below 1500 bucks. What I have down is currently $1088 if I buy at the right places for each part.

DDay

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Yes, I agree. I however, chose to get my own seperate powersupply and case to improve the overall performance.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Huh? The case I have selected, the Sonata 2 is top of the line. I mean, its not as nice as a P180, but its pretty good, and its REALLY quiet. Also, the PSU in it is really nice also. For a 111 bucks thats pretty good. Obviously I would prefer a larger one, like a 550 or a 600, but its not really needed unless I do SLi, which I'm not.

DDay

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Ok, lets just look at what we know is coming out soon. All the games that are coming it can play at almost max with a fair resolution. So, yeah, maybe in 2 years it won't be max, but it will pretty high.

DDay

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
(2x1GB OCZ PC4000 RAM)
MSI Radeon X1900XTX GFX
Lian Li PC-60B Case

I'd OC the vid card only a touch (my room is hot for the summer).

I know these things are tried, tested, and true and will give me some very nice performance specs.

Don't get the XTX then, total waste of cash.Save the $50-60 get the XT and overclock it. The performance difference is marginal anyway. Nice system overall for S939, but AM2 is going to have 65nm CPU by years end with no socket change and quad in 07 with no socket change. Just something to keep in mind.

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I can appreciate the input and the fact that AM2 stuff will be higly upgradeable in the future but I just don't know how much upgrading I'll actually be able to do. Once I spend this cash, I won't have my job (I'll be focusing on school) and the parents won't pay for anything else. Thats why I've started with the 939 stuff. Slightly cheaper and reliable.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
(2x1GB OCZ PC4000 RAM)
MSI Radeon X1900XTX GFX
Lian Li PC-60B Case

I'd go with DDR500 RAM. OCZ Platinum 3-3-2-8 is under $200 after MIR. I see a single-rail 560 watt SStone with 38A for $138 on Newegg. I'd be tempted to shop around there only because I don't have experience with them. The dual rail 560 watt SStone I see has a total of 36A on 2 rails. Either of these should drive the components you list. Jonnyguru gives some SStone's a second tier ranking, so those are very good units. Still, with your budget, I'd shop around. I've seen excellent reviews on this OCZ that's $140 after MIR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711001

Better yet, for $147, you can get this 4-rail beast:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

I have one of those in my video rig, which is peripheral rich enough to flatten an Enermax Liberty 620. The OCZ seems to be at casual idle under load. You can also get a 4-rail FSP for $140 rated at 600 watts - it has received excellent reviews from a number of sources.

For cooling, I'd have to first see if you decide to change RAM and/or PS, get a subtotal and see how mucho buckage remains. I think you said you may OC to 2.5 - you should be able to do that on air with an Opty 165.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Oh easily, people have on the rare occasion gotten to 3 with stock with a 165. If you want to get more cooling, get a zalman 9500 or a vapochill. Both are awesome coolers. The vapochill is cheaper though.

DDay

Imgnryflagdotcom

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Sweet rig you put together there... just like the one Im about to order in an hour or so.

Some things...

If you're getting DFI, go to DFI-street.com and read EVERYTHING... and I mean EVERYTHING

DFI Board require good PSUs (DDay, you should read this too). They don't like PSUs that come with cases at all, so go to DFI-Street and there's a PSU guide there

Opty 165 is a very good overclocker (From my research) and if you egt the hallowed CCB1E (I think its this one) stepping, you can probably overclock to 3Ghz on AIR

Make sure you don't go with any value RAM, DFI-Street has some good suggestions on RAM. I recommend OCZ Gold or Platinum RAM or GSkill Extreme RAM (PC4000 is you're going to overclock)

You can get 2 hitachi 80GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HDDs for around $45 USD each at Newegg and RAID 0 them, there will be god amount of storage (160GB) and the RAID 0 array will be faster than a Raptor for a fraction of the price and double the storage (I know you're not planning to egt a raptor, but its a suggestion)

Thats pretty much all i can think of right now

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
All of this is great input. Keep it coming. I think I was always going with the PC4000 OCZ RAM (I like i from previous use). And I will over clock but isn't the stock HSF on the Opteron insanely good??

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
All of this is great input. Keep it coming. I think I was always going with the PC4000 OCZ RAM (I like i from previous use). And I will over clock but isn't the stock HSF on the Opteron insanely good??

The Opty stock HSF has a great rep and tests well in reviews I've seen. You can probably run 5 to 7 C below the stock HSF with a Scythe Ninja, Zalman 7900 or AC Freezer Pro.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I know not to get a crappy power supply. I'm smarter than that. Also, yes, DFI-Street is awesome, I spend quite a bit of time their. I don't post, but I still learn alot. By the way, once you build PM me. I'd like to know how well it runs, and some benchmarks.

DDay

By the way, if your going to do that RAID, get three of those 80 GB's and do a Raid 5. I think that the dfi has raid 5 built in. Mabye I'm wrong and thats only the nicest Asus board, but if I'm right, definetly do RAID 5.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
By the way, if your going to do that RAID, get three of those 80 GB's and do a Raid 5. I think that the dfi has raid 5 built in. Mabye I'm wrong and thats only the nicest Asus board, but if I'm right, definetly do RAID 5.

I'm pretty sure that all of the DFI crossfire mobos have RAID5, not sure about the others. And if you do RAID5, I'd recommend something like the WD drives that have TLER. I've got a friend that sets up RAID arrays often on the job and she has mentioned a number of times how huge of an advantage TLER is on RAID5.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
My 2 cents, get the x1900xt, the xtx is not $50 better. Be advised about planning to OC. I built my rig with hopes of going to 2.6-7. It runs super-stable at stock, and that's it. Maybe you will have better luck, but don't count on it.

EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
My 2 cents, get the x1900xt, the xtx is not $50 better. Be advised about planning to OC. I built my rig with hopes of going to 2.6-7. It runs super-stable at stock, and that's it. Maybe you will have better luck, but don't count on it.

Just form what I've read... The 170 doesn't OC nearly as well as a 165 might. So that might be the issue.

Imgnryflagdotcom

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I know not to get a crappy power supply. I'm smarter than that. Also, yes, DFI-Street is awesome, I spend quite a bit of time their. I don't post, but I still learn alot. By the way, once you build PM me. I'd like to know how well it runs, and some benchmarks.

DDay

Yeah, I'll PM you once I build it. I ordered the parts last night from newegg, but I keep getting these E-mails from them about not being able to authenticate my (Not really mine, my parents) credit card.... weird, I've entered the numbers correctly and have had my parents (Still 15.... not growing up any faster) check over and over again... Maybe its because its the weekd, but I wish Newegg would have at least someone take support calls in the weekend like MS does...

The DFI NF4 boards don't have RAID 5, and I'm already $300 over budget with a 165, so I can't get another drive. The only Mobos with RAID 5 right now for AMD CPUs are the AM2 NF5 ones and I think maybe the RDX3200 (Is it RDX??... the ATI Crossfire one) ones.

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Ah, Newegg authentication. I ran into that problem. I believe the problem is, is that the shipping address you have selected, isn't known to your credit card company. But maybe its not. I had to cancel my order. I hope you don't have to. Also, about the Opty 170, it isn't as MUCH of a OCer. But it still should in general OC higher than a 165. Just not by much. It is definetly safer obviously to OC from a higher starting point though if you want to get to the same spot, be it 2.6, or 2.4.

DDay

About RAID 5, yes their are RAID 5 boards that aren't the new 5's. Like asus board. I wouldn't get it, because it has a 1/5 DOA rate, but thats besides the point.