NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 VS ATI Radeon 9250

So i suppose its a fairly straight forward question , which is better? Im using a celron 2.50GHz CPU if that matters.
8 answers Last reply
More about nvidia geforce 5600 radeon 9250
  1. both are utterly crud

id go with the FX5600 provided you ignore my sig 8O

WHAT?????

Quote:
    So i suppose its a fairly straight forward question , which is better? Im using a celron 2.50GHz CPU if that matters.
  2. If they are free, then take the 5600, as it should be better, but if you're using an old Northwood desktop celeron 2.5 GHz with 128 kb L2 cache, it really won't matter which video card you get, b/c your bottleneck is that cpu. Old Northwood desktop Celerons are absolutely terrible for gaming. They lose to a 1.6 GHz Duron. Your celeron is pretty much equivalent to a 1.2 GHz Tualitin Pentium III when it comes to gaming, it's that bad.

If you're looking to buy either one of these graphics cards for the going rate off Newegg, then I suggest you take that money and buy a used GeForce4 Ti4600 off ebay, as it is in this same price range (~$25-$35), and mightily kicks the crap out of either of the graphics cards you are currently choosing between.
  3. I agree.

Take the FX 5600.

Even if you had a better choice your CPU is going to limit your GPU so it might not be worth it.

Have you looked into upgrading the system?
  4. Im gonna have to go with the 9250 if you had to buy 1 of them, being that the price is lower, but ATi customer service is terrible.
  5. :-D

What are your full specs?

Maybe we could suggest some upgrades. :-D
  6. Lets see : Celeron 2.5Ghz CPU
    Geforce FX 5600 GPU
    P4P800 SE mobo
    512 Ram
    2x 5.99G HD 1x 80G HD
    Thats about it not counting Cd drive ethernet card and sound card.

Im looking at the intel pentium d 805 dual core CPU , will that even work with my mobo?
  7. Quote:
    Lets see : Celeron 2.5Ghz CPU
    Geforce FX 5600 GPU
    P4P800 SE mobo
    512 Ram
    2x 5.99G HD 1x 80G HD
    Thats about it not counting Cd drive ethernet card and sound card.

Im looking at the intel pentium d 805 dual core CPU , will that even work with my mobo?

No it's completely different LGA775 vs. Socket 478 and uses DDR2 instead of DDR.

Upgrade wise your best bet is AMD Socket 939 which supports DDR and AGP so you can salvage your VGA card, your RAM, case, HDD, optical drives, etc.

If your PSU is good enough you can keep it too!

An ASRock 939Dual Board supports real AGP + 16X PCI-E + SATA2 and can upgrade to AM2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

= $180.66 delivered

That's the best upgrade you can get at that price.

I bought one of the these boards open boxed from newegg a few days ago for $37.99 delivered but they ran out... they will probably have a few more in the next few days.

To get the cheapest Intel you would have to buy a new board + a new CPU + new RAM and almost certainly a new PSU because Intel CPUs consume a lot more power + a new PCI-E VGA. That would add up pretty quick.

S939 is your best option right now.
  8. Quote:
    Im gonna have to go with the 9250 if you had to buy 1 of them, being that the price is lower, but ATi customer service is terrible.

I've only had good experiences with Ati customer service. They have always dealt with me in a timely manner.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Nvidia Geforce ATI Graphics Product