Sign in with
Your question

how do u prevent dusts in ur pc case?

Last response: in Components
June 4, 2006 12:43:03 AM

post any methods or thoughts that may prevent dusts in pc case, im a lazy person most of the times... so i've been trying to think of methods to prevent dusts in the case. That way i'll need to clean my pc as little as possible, and at the same time the pc will be running just fine =)

my personal thoughts r:
external water cooling systems to reduce the number of fans so u dont need to clean as many fans in the pc case as before.
powerful intake fans(with a dust pad or similar pads) as they will be the main source of sucking in air and dusts, then u'll only need to clean those intake fans, as long as u keep the air running there wont be too much dusts in ur pc case holes etc.

my ideas could be wrong... so what about everyone else?

More about : prevent dusts case

June 4, 2006 12:55:22 AM

I think you can get filter media for the front of your PC and this helps keep the dust out. I just clean my PC out every month or two wich is probably best, after I clean I power my system up with the side panel off so I can see if everything is working proper, all fans spinning and all that :)  Hmmm also a good idea to load up some temp monitor software to check after cleaning to see if things got better :) 
June 4, 2006 1:10:33 AM

you can build a clean room :p  ... no carpeting and the HVAC system uses hepa filtration system, the blower of the system runs 24/7 to suck what dust there is into the filters of the HVAC system.

Everytime you go into the room you must suit up, with no surface area of your body uncovered. [There is a small room built just before you go into the main clean room]

After you are suited up you must walk across a sticky floor that removes dirt from your shoes.

The systems must be continually maintained in order to keep the room clean and the room should be completely sealed with no windows and the door you enter from should be closed after entry.

Fresh air is brought in through the HVAC system that is also filtered with Hepa filters.
Related resources
June 4, 2006 1:10:39 AM

filter media? ummm, is there a link i can take a look at?
June 4, 2006 1:13:02 AM

Quote:
post any methods or thoughts that may prevent dusts in pc case, im a lazy person most of the times... so i've been trying to think of methods to prevent dusts in the case. That way i'll need to clean my pc as little as possible, and at the same time the pc will be running just fine =)

my personal thoughts r:
external water cooling systems to reduce the number of fans so u dont need to clean as many fans in the pc case as before.
powerful intake fans(with a dust pad or similar pads) as they will be the main source of sucking in air and dusts, then u'll only need to clean those intake fans, as long as u keep the air running there wont be too much dusts in ur pc case holes etc.

Well you can use filter but it does restricts the airflow so the best thing is just to clean your sorroundings and your case at least every month. I don't use any filter at all and I don't mind cleaning. :D 
June 4, 2006 1:32:57 AM

I've seen people using fabric softener sheets for the dryer over the fans as dust filters.. cheap and it works.
Use your favorite smell. 8)
June 4, 2006 1:48:11 AM

Quote:
I've seen people using fabric softener sheets for the dryer over the fans as dust filters.. cheap and it works.

LMAOOOOOOO!!!!

best idea from me. make ur PC a giant pushing action. every fan on exaust. then one fan port with only a filter. only way dust will get in is that 1 fan port.

and the other idea i have in mind is buying filters. maybe doubpling up the filters on the fans IE putting 1 filter on front of the fan one on the other side so the fan wont get dirty and air will be doubly clean. :)  , ur gonna need really powerfull fans for that tho filters restrict a lot of air.
June 4, 2006 1:48:14 AM

Quote:

Clever, Very Clever :-D
June 4, 2006 2:14:16 AM

Quote:

That IS a really good idea. Thanks.
June 4, 2006 2:27:31 AM

Quote:

lol my friend does the same thing lol, i used to do the same also but my case has dust filters on the intakes, (remeber only put em on the intakes it kills some airflow but its worth not getting dusty which really heats up stuff after a while)
June 5, 2006 12:02:05 AM

im not to sure how to prevent it but you can use damp q-tips to clean your fans. They work great
June 5, 2006 12:19:05 AM

Quote:
im not to sure how to prevent it but you can use damp q-tips to clean your fans. They work great

Q-Tips are great but you have to be careful.

Compressed air tends to work too :-D
June 5, 2006 12:39:21 AM

Everytime you go into the room you must suit up, with no surface area of your body uncovered. [There is a small room built just before you go into the main clean room]

This room before the clean room is called the anti room t too is under negative pressure.

After you are suited up you must walk across a sticky floor that removes dirt from your shoes.

Dont forget the slip on "booties" that cover your shoes.

The systems must be continually maintained in order to keep the room clean and the room should be completely sealed with no windows and the door you enter from should be closed after entry.

Of course it must be maintained just like any other Biohazard class II facility.

Fresh air is brought in through the HVAC system that is also filtered with Hepa filters.[/quote]

HEPA high effeciency particulate air filters?

We actually have a comp in one of these "clean rooms". It is pretty much dust free.
June 5, 2006 12:49:11 AM

Quote:

This room before the clean room is called the anti room t too is under negative pressure.

Dont forget the slip on "booties" that cover your shoes.

Of course it must be maintained just like any other Biohazard class II facility.

Fresh air is brought in through the HVAC system that is also filtered with Hepa filters.

We actually have a comp in one of these "clean rooms". It is pretty much dust free.[/quote]

:-D

Pretty much dust free???

It should be completely dust free.

June 5, 2006 1:55:31 AM

Quote:

hmm compresssed air doenst get rid of the "sticky dust" the stuff on the fans, and fan blades.
June 5, 2006 2:01:55 AM

Quote:

hmm compresssed air doenst get rid of the "sticky dust" the stuff on the fans, and fan blades.

Indeed for the sticky stuff you need to either give the fan a non-conductive bath or use Q-Tips.
June 5, 2006 2:18:14 AM

hate the sticky stuff why cant it just fall off, i mean...why..sigh, why did god create sticky dust. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: 
June 5, 2006 2:24:05 AM

Quote:
hate the sticky stuff why cant it just fall off, i mean...why..sigh, why did god create sticky dust. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: 

Aye it's nasty :cry:  :cry: 

That reminds me I should install the dust filters I bought a few months ago....
June 5, 2006 2:46:27 AM

hmm, i dunno, i find vaccuming every month easier than cleaning filters.
June 5, 2006 2:52:06 AM

Quote:
hmm, i dunno, i find vaccuming every month easier than cleaning filters.

I just installed one of the filters I bought.

Cleaning it will be a hassle as it's mounted on the side panel of my 1080 AMG
June 5, 2006 3:02:37 AM

Quote:

I've made some out of metal mesh. You can find mesh at a good hardware store, or shop online like I did and find some stainless mesh. Not cheap but you can clean it out with water, shake it out and let it air dry. If you really want to get into this, make a multilayer mesh filter with the largest mesh on the outside, then step down, etc. This approach clogs up slower than single stage.

Probably not an issue but the odor you smell with fabric softner sheets is a volatile organic compound. Not sure what that stuff will do when it hits a hot CPU or GPU surface but I'd avoid them for that reason. There are tons of online sources for filter sheets or you can just go get a furnace filter at the hardware store and cut it out with scissors.
June 5, 2006 3:10:46 AM

Quote:

I've made some out of metal mesh. You can find mesh at a good hardware store, or shop online like I did and find some stainless mesh. Not cheap but you can clean it out with water, shake it out and let it air dry. If you really want to get into this, make a multilayer mesh filter with the largest mesh on the outside, then step down, etc. This approach clogs up slower than single stage.

Probably not an issue but the odor you smell with fabric softner sheets is a volatile organic compound. Not sure what that stuff will do when it hits a hot CPU or GPU surface but I'd avoid them for that reason. There are tons of online sources for filter sheets or you can just go get a furnace filter at the hardware store and cut it out with scissors.

Excellent suggestions :-D :trophy: :trophy:
June 5, 2006 6:18:26 AM

Quote:

my personal thoughts r:

Good, and cheap....Next time your wife/GF gets a run in her pantyhose,

keep them.They are stretchy, and make great filters, when stretched

over an intake fan. :wink: Just don't start putting holes in her good

pantyhose, unless you want a frying pan in the back of the head. :D 
June 5, 2006 6:33:19 AM

Quote:

my personal thoughts r:

keep them.They are stretchy, and make great filters, when stretched

over an intake fan. :wink: Just don't start putting holes in her good

pantyhose, unless you want a frying pan in the back of the head. :D 

Smart, very smart.

Oh and remember she's always right :wink: :lol: 
June 5, 2006 7:17:09 AM

I might try some of these ideas. I have fan filters on my 80mm and 92mm side intakes on my antec tx1050 case, but where I live is REALLY dusty (within 3 days of installing them there was already a noticeable amount of dust caked to the filters) and I've gotten really tired of taking apart the side panel (removing fans and fan mounts) to clean. The between the dust and the fans the air flow is relatively well impeded, but I've got decently powerful fans so its still OK...

-mcg
June 5, 2006 7:20:42 AM

Quote:
I might try some of these ideas. I have fan filters on my 80mm and 92mm side intakes on my antec tx1050 case, but where I live is REALLY dusty (within 3 days of installing them there was already a noticeable amount of dust caked to the filters) and I've gotten really tired of taking apart the side panel (removing fans and fan mounts) to clean. The between the dust and the fans the air flow is relatively well impeded, but I've got decently powerful fans so its still OK...

-mcg

I would suggest getting a HEPA air filtration system and putting it near your PC.

Also put filters on all your HVAC vents.

Good luck :-D
June 5, 2006 9:09:38 AM

:-D[/quote]

You bring dust into the room on your clothes etc, the room is gassed once a month or so, the gas is toxic and kills stuff to make the clean room "sterile".
June 5, 2006 9:19:11 AM

Quote:

You bring dust into the room on your clothes etc, the room is gassed once a month or so, the gas is toxic and kills stuff to make the clean room "sterile".

Are you not required to wear "clean" suits?
June 5, 2006 3:06:54 PM

Quote:

You missed an opportunity for a great general purpose flame there.

Quote:
They are stretchy, and make great filters, when stretched over an intake fan.

Agreed. I've used rubber bands to secure them. Great field fix. You can find different mesh sizes and even modify a bit by adjusting the stretch. For general use, I prefer something that's easily removed and cleaned, so it will depend in part on your case design as to how well this will work. For example, my latest toy uses the TT Armor Jr. The front bezel is hinged, so it's trivial to open the front and get right at the fan/filter. On my video box, which uses the original Armor, it's much more of a pain to get to the intake filters. One of my summer projects is to build an easy pop-out mod for that box because our house is mega dusty and dust is our enemy, comorades...
June 5, 2006 3:17:57 PM

Quote:

You missed an opportunity for a great general purpose flame there.

Quote:
They are stretchy, and make great filters, when stretched over an intake fan.

Agreed. I've used rubber bands to secure them. Great field fix. You can find different mesh sizes and even modify a bit by adjusting the stretch. For general use, I prefer something that's easily removed and cleaned, so it will depend in part on your case design as to how well this will work. For example, my latest toy uses the TT Armor Jr. The front bezel is hinged, so it's trivial to open the front and get right at the fan/filter. On my video box, which uses the original Armor, it's much more of a pain to get to the intake filters. One of my summer projects is to build an easy pop-out mod for that box because our house is mega dusty and dust is our enemy, comorades...

Indeed, indeed :-D

Semper fi! :-D
June 5, 2006 3:32:10 PM

pantyhose idea is wonderful.

also if more people live in your house its gonna be dustier since dust is about 95% dead skin cells and u shel millions of dead skin cells a day.

so kick all the unwanted ppl out of ur ur and ur already decreasing dust.
June 5, 2006 3:53:27 PM

Quote:
pantyhose idea is wonderful.

also if more people live in your house its gonna be dustier since dust is about 95% dead skin cells and u shel millions of dead skin cells a day.

so kick all the unwanted ppl out of ur ur and ur already decreasing dust.

I would recommend the use of baseball bats in the process it's a lot more fun that way :wink: :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

j/k

I'm not advocating violence.
June 5, 2006 4:07:06 PM

I don't get it, why aren't anyone making teflon coated fans. Are they too expensive or what ?
June 5, 2006 4:14:59 PM

Quote:
I don't get it, why aren't anyone making teflon coated fans. Are they too expensive or what ?

I believe teflon causes cancer and you wouldn't want teflon particles airborne.
June 5, 2006 4:26:38 PM

Quote:

A T-Fal fan. Just one scrape with a spatula, and dust slides right off. :D 
June 5, 2006 4:35:57 PM

Quote:

yah i think that was the issue,

try spraying ur fans woth PAM, the non-stick spray, maybe dust will come right off then :D 
June 5, 2006 5:15:26 PM

Yo Guys :D 

I saw this thread and read everyone's replies to this point ... I offer that all of you are "thinking inside da' box" (PC case). Now then, what are THE two major problems all PC's face? How about heat and dirt (dust)? If you agree, then consider using a compact fridge (2.7 cubic feet) with the mobo, PS, drives, etc. all mounted with nylon strap locks to the plastic coated wire racks. Drill a few holes through the side (never the back!) for AC and tel/cable connections and seal with expanding foam insulation. Mount one 120mm 1200 RPM fan in the bottom blowing up to circulate the chilled air. Set temp at 45 deg F and enjoy an absolutely clean chilled air environment plus a roomy "case" to work in. Here's a link and this mfg'r sells thru a ton of big box stores (Sam's, Walmart. Best Buy, etc.) http://www.haieramerica.com/products.php?pid=46
June 5, 2006 5:16:15 PM

Quote:
I've seen people using fabric softener sheets for the dryer over the fans as dust filters.. cheap and it works. Use your favorite smell.

You can also get heating/air conditioner register (you know, the duct openings on the floor/wall/ceiling used by a forced air heating/cooling system) filters from any hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...old panty hose also make for a fair filter as well...for cleaning out the inside, I usually use compressed air and a vacuum.
June 5, 2006 5:36:03 PM

I use the Black or Gray 1/8" thick A/C filter material that you can get at any hardware store. It works pretty good and doesn't decrease the air flow by much. I have the Zalman 9500 cooler with an AMD 4400, and 7800GTX. The case is always quiet and cool, only during long intesive video editing does the CPU temp rise to kick the CPU fan up.

I vacuum the filters right on the case about once a month, before their is any noticable build up. After 6 months there is barely any dust on the CPU or GPU fan. Before the A/C filter I noticed some dust in there after about 2 weeks using the stock mesh screens.

My case is set up with a 120mm intake fan, 80mm side intake fan, PSU 120mm exhaust fan, and PSU exhaust fan.
June 5, 2006 5:54:14 PM

Quote:

yah i think that was the issue,

That shouldn't be an issue if the teflon coating is applied properly. Assuming it is polymerized fully (in the FDA-regulations sense) then there won't be any monomer or particulate to become airborne and thus be available for you to breathe. For example, look at all of the teflon-coated cooking pans in use. You can find the stuff in cars, bicycles, tools, etc. It's everywhere and it hasn't killed me yet. (Cough, hack, wheeze) I'd guess mogpie's cost point is a big part of why they they aren't common. Sounds like a business opportunity...
June 5, 2006 6:03:01 PM

Quote:

I saw this thread and read everyone's replies to this point ... I offer that all of you are "thinking inside da' box" (PC case). Now then, what are THE two major problems all PC's face? How about heat and dirt (dust)? If you agree, then consider using a compact fridge (2.7 cubic feet) with the mobo, PS, drives, etc. all mounted with nylon strap locks to the plastic coated wire racks. Drill a few holes through the side (never the back!) for AC and tel/cable connections and seal with expanding foam insulation. Mount one 120mm 1200 RPM fan in the bottom blowing up to circulate the chilled air. Set temp at 45 deg F and enjoy an absolutely clean chilled air environment plus a roomy "case" to work in. Here's a link and this mfg'r sells thru a ton of big box stores (Sam's, Walmart. Best Buy, etc.) http://www.haieramerica.com/products.php?pid=46
Where are you suggesting to mount the PSU? If it's inside,'
that will dump alot of heat in there. If outside, your cables probably won't
reach inside. If you mount it inside, and cut a hole to exhaust the PSU, the
cold air will be blown outside, or it will create a big vacuum, and the fridge
will implode. :wink: hehehe. If air is being expelled, it has to be replaced
by more air, wherever it can get it from.Therefore dust. On a sidenote, i
have been considering doing this, but i wondered how much the energy
consumption of the fridge, on top of my computer, would cost me. :?
June 5, 2006 6:25:43 PM

Quote:

We actually have a comp in one of these "clean rooms". It is pretty much dust free.

Pretty much dust free???

They have all different grades of clean rooms... some are a bit more dusty than the next grade up. Comes down to how much money you want to spend. :wink:
June 5, 2006 6:32:24 PM

OMG. This is getting to the point where lazy boy is going to do more work in trying to avoid cleaning than he would just cleaning the darn thing once in awhile.

Any elaborate system to prevent you from cleaning is going to take more time and frustration than the simple act of cleaning. I got a better idea--give the computer to someone who knows how to keep it clean, and leave the forums to motivated individuals.
June 5, 2006 6:34:02 PM

Quote:

The only problem is condensation.... moisture on electrical parts is not good. A compact fridge often has a small little freezer in it that needs to be defrosted every so often so that would present another challenge to prevent all your stuff from getting wet when you need to defrost. Keeping the temp high at 45 deg might help prevent that but condensation can form when the compressor cycles....
June 5, 2006 6:43:28 PM

Quote:
OMG. This is getting to the point where lazy boy is going to do more work in trying to avoid cleaning than he would just cleaning the darn thing once in awhile.

Any elaborate system to prevent you from cleaning is going to take more time and frustration than the simple act of cleaning. I got a better idea--give the computer to someone who knows how to keep it clean, and leave the forums to motivated individuals.

Excellent analysis, Mr Groin. I can provide a receiving house for all those unappreciated, dusty computers. I'll do that for y'all and I promise to keep them clean. But I would appreciate it if you clean them up a bit before shipping them to me. And get the boogers out from between the keys fercrissakes...
June 5, 2006 8:25:30 PM

Quote:

lol

just stick ur PC in one of thse giant Zip-lock bags. TA-DA
June 5, 2006 9:06:11 PM

If you have dust problem blow out your rig inards once a week with one of those petrol leafe blowers.
June 5, 2006 9:22:37 PM

Quote:
If you have dust problem blow out your rig inards once a week with one of those petrol leafe blowers.
LMAO....the wife oughta
love that... 8O Especially if you do it on the kitchen table. :wink:
June 5, 2006 10:01:13 PM

Quote:
LMAO....the wife oughta
love that... 8O Especially if you do it on the kitchen table. :wink:

Oops, lookout honey! Video card headed your way!
!