Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wierd overclocking probleme/help plz

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 4, 2006 12:57:37 AM

Well yesterday,i started overclocking my cpu.well first of all let me give you my specs:

amd athlon 64 3500+
asus a8s-x motherboard
ati radeon x600 gamerzedition
1gig pc3200 kingston patriot ram
some crappy raidmax psu 420watts

Anyways,so yesterday, i overclocked it to 2310mhz (210x11).I left the vcore the same(1.350) and the memory speed and timings the same(200mhz, 2.5-3-3-8).During the night,i ran some stress test like prime 95 and memtest86.In the morning,No probleme were found.So in the after noon i was like,"Well lets oc it a bit more.like lets raise the fsp to 215mhz).I wanted to see how far i could overclock the cpu without changing any other settings like vcore,vdimm,ram speed and ram timings.) So i went in bios and oc'ed it to 215mhz.rebooted and when it came into windows,my multiplier was at 8x and my fps at 215mhz and vcore at 1.400.so i was like umm Ok i thought i was getting 2365mhz not like 1500mhz.)so when back into bios and reenter the default settings just to realized that everytime i would go back into windows,it would still be at 1500mhz.So i stryed flashing the bios and still didnt work.So i cleared the cmos by swtiching the jumper from pin 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 sec then put it back to pin 1-2.It work.All setting were back.SO i decided to see what caused this.

I tryed reoverclocking it. I put fsp:215mhz,vcore:1.400,ram speed:333,:timmings 3-3-3-8.so i was like there you go.more juice,and less on the ram.
But no.still did the same thing again.cleared cmos and got back to the start.

I then decided ok lets see.i put all default settings and then increased fps to 214mhz.loaded windows and everything was alright.ran stress test and everything was perfect.so i was like umm thats weird.so i decied to go to 216mhz.(i was like maybe the 215 is fucked up?).but no still did the same old thing of putting multi to 8x and vcore to 1.400 and total cpu speed of 1500mhz.so cleared cmos and here i am on default speed asking your opinion on this and how to fix it

So plz give me some tips or opininons on how to fix this.

Thx ;) 
June 4, 2006 2:42:02 AM

Quote:
Well yesterday,i started overclocking my cpu.well first of all let me give you my specs:

amd athlon 64 3500+
asus a8s-x motherboard
ati radeon x600 gamerzedition
1gig pc3200 kingston patriot ram
some crappy raidmax psu 420watts

Anyways,so yesterday, i overclocked it to 2310mhz (210x11).I left the vcore the same(1.350) and the memory speed and timings the same(200mhz, 2.5-3-3-8).During the night,i ran some stress test like prime 95 and memtest86.In the morning,No probleme were found.So in the after noon i was like,"Well lets oc it a bit more.like lets raise the fsp to 215mhz).I wanted to see how far i could overclock the cpu without changing any other settings like vcore,vdimm,ram speed and ram timings.) So i went in bios and oc'ed it to 215mhz.rebooted and when it came into windows,my multiplier was at 8x and my fps at 215mhz and vcore at 1.400.so i was like umm Ok i thought i was getting 2365mhz not like 1500mhz.)so when back into bios and reenter the default settings just to realized that everytime i would go back into windows,it would still be at 1500mhz.So i stryed flashing the bios and still didnt work.So i cleared the cmos by swtiching the jumper from pin 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 sec then put it back to pin 1-2.It work.All setting were back.SO i decided to see what caused this.

I tryed reoverclocking it. I put fsp:215mhz,vcore:1.400,ram speed:333,:timmings 3-3-3-8.so i was like there you go.more juice,and less on the ram.
But no.still did the same thing again.cleared cmos and got back to the start.

I then decided ok lets see.i put all default settings and then increased fps to 214mhz.loaded windows and everything was alright.ran stress test and everything was perfect.so i was like umm thats weird.so i decied to go to 216mhz.(i was like maybe the 215 is ****** up?).but no still did the same old thing of putting multi to 8x and vcore to 1.400 and total cpu speed of 1500mhz.so cleared cmos and here i am on default speed asking your opinion on this and how to fix it

So plz give me some tips or opininons on how to fix this.

Thx ;) 




The board may not be able to handle it.

Most ASUS boards do not OC very well.

It has an SiS chipset too -- not sure what kind of impact that has.

5-10% is probably about the max.

Epox and DFI boards OC much better.

I recommend ASUS for stability and features and Epox and DFI for OC.
June 4, 2006 2:56:42 AM

well thx for the comment.i fugured that with a crappy sis chip and a crappy mobo,i woudnt be able to achive high cpu overclocked. i did oced it 7%.ill jsut wait and get new board and better oc cpu and then do some hardcore ocing.anyways thx
Related resources
June 4, 2006 3:02:35 AM

Quote:
well thx for the comment.i fugured that with a crappy sis chip and a crappy mobo,i woudnt be able to achive high cpu overclocked. i did oced it 7%.ill jsut wait and get new board and better oc cpu and then do some hardcore ocing.anyways thx




Your current CPU should OC a lot better with a better motherboard and better RAM :-D

A good HSF would help too.

GL :-D
June 4, 2006 3:07:15 AM

Quote:
thx for the help. ;) 



yw :-D
June 4, 2006 4:01:02 AM

Quote:
The board may not be able to handle it.

Most ASUS boards do not OC very well.


This is not a motherboard problem. And ASUS Mobos do OC VERY well. Maybe the AMD mobos (combined in this case with a sis chipset) don't go as far as the Intel ones, but they also OC Well.


To me it's a throttling or a Cool'n'Quiet issue... What kind of cooling are you using? Temps?

You can try to disable the Cool'n'Quiet feature in the BIOS and see if the same thing happens.
June 4, 2006 4:06:19 AM

cool&quiet is disable

And im using default hsf
June 4, 2006 5:13:43 AM

Quote:
The board may not be able to handle it.

Most ASUS boards do not OC very well.


This is not a motherboard problem. And ASUS Mobos do OC VERY well. Maybe the AMD mobos (combined in this case with a sis chipset) don't go as far as the Intel ones, but they also OC Well.


To me it's a throttling or a Cool'n'Quiet issue... What kind of cooling are you using? Temps?

You can try to disable the Cool'n'Quiet feature in the BIOS and see if the same thing happens.



It sure sounds like a failed OC since Cool'n'Quiet is off
!