Abit KN8 Ultra and ECC ram?

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
I posted this in the Abit mobo section, but now realise that it was the wrong place, so sorry for the double post.

I have a X2 3800+ on a KN8 Ultra runing as a server, and it started to reboot it self randomly about a month ago, and has got alot worse recently (I have it set to auto reboot on BSOD) and I think it is from a faulty ram stick. What I have in now is 4x Corsair VS1GB400C3 (1 gb DDR 400 sticks).

And I am really hoping to get the server alot more stable so I was thinking of just buying 4 new ECC/Registered 1GB sticks. But I was wondering if it would even work with the motherboard. It says on the site that it doesn't work, but I have read on here a couple times that people said they got ECC ram working on this mobo.

What I was wondering is if anyone has gotten it working with 1GB sticks of ECC/Registered ram, and if so could you link me to where you got it?

Thanks in advance!

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
It is... Kinda (I am runing a Lineage 2 server, and these restarts are causing alot of down time). I have the server at a colocation place, so it's not the easiest to run memtest, but I will try and get them to do that for me. I still would like to know if anyone has got ECC ram to work on this motherboard with this CPU.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I have a X2 3800+ on a KN8 Ultra runing as a server, and it started to reboot it self randomly about a month ago, and has got alot worse recently (I have it set to auto reboot on BSOD) and I think it is from a faulty ram stick.
Then why not check the ram sticks?
What makes you so sure that it's the ram and not any other piece of hardware, and what makes you so sure that expensive ECC-registered ram will solve your problem?
Thinking and checking problems first might save you a lot of money :roll:

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
What makes me think it's the ram? First off when I first built this rig I had one stick of ram come in bad and was causing the same stop error on the BSOD so I had to RMA that stick of ram. After that everything was fine for about 5 months untill last month when these started again (but now it's not at my house any more, so I can't trouble shoot it easily at all.

sturm

Splendid
According to the website it uses non-ecc memory.
You can stick ECC memory in it, but you wont get the benefit of ECC. It wont be used. So basically it is totaly useless to put ECC memory in it.

Run memtest on it to determine if the memory is bad. Thats what you need to do.
While you are there check the temps, clean out the dust and do some normal maintenance on it.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I bought a 1gig model of ECC Registered ram a while back and it definately did not work with my motherboard when i tried to use it. So i sent it back and got unbuffered. Most systems do not use ECC so that probably is the problem

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
According to the website it uses non-ecc memory.
You can stick ECC memory in it, but you wont get the benefit of ECC. It wont be used. So basically it is totaly useless to put ECC memory in it.

Run memtest on it to determine if the memory is bad. Thats what you need to do.
While you are there check the temps, clean out the dust and do some normal maintenance on it.
The temps are fine (28c in case, 42c on the processor). It is in a datacenter so I can't really clean out the dust, not that there would be much/any anyways.

I will get them to run memtest for me then, since everyone won't stop bugging me and listen when I say that it is the ram.