why no collect?

"The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T

Does anyone know Why?

In article <48adncqQEKq9iYjfRVn-vg@comcast.com> Rick Merrill
<RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> writes:

>"The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
>calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T

>Does anyone know Why?

Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
$$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
carriers. It's all about $$$.

One almost feels compelled to ask, in this age of 2½¢ a minute LD and blue
bazillions of free minutes, who the dickens still calls "collect"?

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:12:29 -0600, Mitel Lurker
<wdg@[206.180.145.133] wrote:

>One almost feels compelled to ask, in this age of 2½¢ a minute LD and blue

Inmates in prisons and persons making their 'one phone call' after
being taken in custody.

Mitel Lurker wrote:
> In article <48adncqQEKq9iYjfRVn-vg@comcast.com> Rick Merrill
> <RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> writes:
>

>>"The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
>>calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T
>

>>Does anyone know Why?
>

> Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
> charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
> $$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
> banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
> and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
> carriers. It's all about $$$.

But... they put charges directly onto credit card... I guess the answer
is correct: no operator, hence no opperator assisted calls!

> One almost feels compelled to ask, in this age of 2½¢ a minute LD and blue
> bazillions of free minutes, who the dickens still calls "collect"?

Teenages without a cell phone? Oh, ...

In message <24Sdna45oex6tIvfRVn-iQ@comcast.com> Rick Merrill
<RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> wrote:

>Mitel Lurker wrote:
>> In article <48adncqQEKq9iYjfRVn-vg@comcast.com> Rick Merrill
>> <RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> writes:
>>

>>>"The AT&T CallVantage Service does not support operator assisted type
>>>calls, such as collect calls." - AT&T
>>

>>>Does anyone know Why?
>>

>> Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
>> charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
>> $$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
>> banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
>> and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
>> carriers. It's all about $$$.
>>

>But... they put charges directly onto credit card... I guess the answer
>is correct: no operator, hence no opperator assisted calls!

I thought we're talking collect calls here? A collect call is a call
which is billed to the recipient rather then billed to the caller. No
credit card involved, nor is an operator required in most cases
(assuming both parties are domestic)

--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <24Sdna45oex6tIvfRVn-iQ@comcast.com> Rick Merrill
> <RickMerrill@comcastTHROW.net> wrote:
>

>>Mitel Lurker wrote:

>>>Requires additional staffing ($$$) and opens the door to fraudulent
>>>charges and subscriber allegations/claims of fraudulent charges (more
>>>$$$). By not supporting collect calls there's also no bookkeeping and
>>>banking fees associated with billing for, hassling deadbeat customers for
>>>and accounting for and transferring collected funds to the various LD
>>>carriers. It's all about $$$.
>>>

>>But... they put charges directly onto credit card... I guess the answer
>>is correct: no operator, hence no opperator assisted calls!
>

> I thought we're talking collect calls here? A collect call is a call
> which is billed to the recipient rather then billed to the caller. No
> credit card involved, nor is an operator required in most cases
> (assuming both parties are domestic)

My abbreviated reply mislead you, sorry. One person said 'collect calls
have billing costs' and I replied 'but they just bill to [my] credit card.'

But the real issue is that CallVantage has * No Operators * and hence do
not support ANY "operator assisted" types of calls!

However (!) I just realized that there are two directions to 'collect
calls', doh! A CallVantage (VoIP) caller (me) cannot dial 0 for
Operator! But it may still be that Incoming Collect calls can be handled.

What happens with in/out operator-assisted calls on VoIP systems?