How can I format C drive with NTFS

I installed Win XP Pro over a Win XP Home Backup and screwed things up. I
like to just format the HD again, but want to make sure that it is in the
NTFS format. How do I do that. Can I format it from the WIN XP CD. or can I
use a win98 startup disk to format the HD. Will the win98 startup disk
format the new HD in the old FAT 32 system? Any help is
appreciated.......Peter
15 answers Last reply
More about format drive ntfs

    http://www.fdisk.com/fdisk/

    "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    > I installed Win XP Pro over a Win XP Home Backup and screwed things up. I
    > like to just format the HD again, but want to make sure that it is in the
    > NTFS format. How do I do that. Can I format it from the WIN XP CD. or can
    > use a win98 startup disk to format the HD. Will the win98 startup disk
    > format the new HD in the old FAT 32 system? Any help is
    > appreciated.......Peter

    Many thanks, that will certainly get me started.......Peter

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:55:52 -0700, PeterM wrote:

    > I installed Win XP Pro over a Win XP Home Backup and screwed things up. I
    > like to just format the HD again, but want to make sure that it is in the
    > NTFS format. How do I do that. Can I format it from the WIN XP CD. or can I
    > use a win98 startup disk to format the HD. Will the win98 startup disk
    > format the new HD in the old FAT 32 system? Any help is
    > appreciated.......Peter

    Use the Win XP CD to delete the partition. Then recreate it, choosing to
    format in NTFS.

    Note: If XP is setup and ready to go, use "convert" to change to NTFS.
    A good general discussion on FAT*/NTFS (including some pointers on
    converting the file system) can be found here:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfs.htm
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    >I installed Win XP Pro over a Win XP Home Backup and screwed things up. I
    > like to just format the HD again, but want to make sure that it is in the
    > NTFS format. How do I do that. Can I format it from the WIN XP CD. or can
    > use a win98 startup disk to format the HD. Will the win98 startup disk
    > format the new HD in the old FAT 32 system? Any help is
    > appreciated.......Peter

    ========================

    Can I enter this discussion with some questions? I have just installed a
    second HDD as a slave on a very slightly older PC. I took this HDD from a PC
    at another home location and I would like to re- format it.

    XP was on the slave HDD as OEM, consequently it runs currently on NTFS (I'm
    not sure I understand what that means). On the older system I had added XP
    over Millennium. That master HDD still runs on FAT32 (I'm not sure what that
    means either).

    Reading this current discussion leads me to several questions.

    How do I format my slave HDD? Do I partition? What file system, NTFS or
    FAT32?

    Do I need to change my current master HDD FAT32 system?. If so, how?

    Do file systems have to match on master and slave HDD's?

    Sorry to be a bother but I don't know much about this ... but would like to
    learn. Thanks, Denzil

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:47:21 -0700, Denzil Hathway wrote:

    > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    >>I installed Win XP Pro over a Win XP Home Backup and screwed things up. I
    >> like to just format the HD again, but want to make sure that it is in the
    >> NTFS format. How do I do that. Can I format it from the WIN XP CD. or can
    >> use a win98 startup disk to format the HD. Will the win98 startup disk
    >> format the new HD in the old FAT 32 system? Any help is
    >> appreciated.......Peter
    >
    > ========================
    >
    > Can I enter this discussion with some questions? I have just installed a
    > second HDD as a slave on a very slightly older PC. I took this HDD from a PC
    > at another home location and I would like to re- format it.
    >
    > XP was on the slave HDD as OEM, consequently it runs currently on NTFS (I'm
    > not sure I understand what that means). On the older system I had added XP
    > over Millennium. That master HDD still runs on FAT32 (I'm not sure what that
    > means either).
    >
    > Reading this current discussion leads me to several questions.
    >
    > How do I format my slave HDD? Do I partition? What file system, NTFS or
    > FAT32?
    >
    > Do I need to change my current master HDD FAT32 system?. If so, how?
    >
    > Do file systems have to match on master and slave HDD's?
    >
    > Sorry to be a bother but I don't know much about this ... but would like to
    > learn. Thanks, Denzil

    Denzil, your situation is different compared to the original poster in this
    thread. They were working with the drive that XP boots from and it also
    resides there. The considerations for changing file format under those
    circumstances are a little more involved and their choices are more
    limited.

    XP is capable of reading drives that are formatted FAT32 or NTFS so, unless
    you want to change this, you're fine with the formats as they are. NOTE:
    Any files/folders on the FAT32 partition will not and cannot be protected
    by XP's permissions. If you're wanting to clear that second drive to put
    new things on it, you can:

    - Delete what's on it now and use it as is
    - Format the drive: Simply right click on that drive in My Computer or
    Windows Explorer and select Format ~or~ use Administrative Tools> Disk
    Management. You can elect to use FAT32 or NTFS during the process using
    either method.

    There is an additional option of using the command line interface to
    format. If interested, check XP's Help file for information on
    "command-line" Select "Command-line reference A-Z" from the search results
    and scroll down to Format for a quick rundown on the needed syntax and the
    available switches.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Many thanks to you as well Sharon. Everything is working
    swell....................Peter

    PeterM wrote:
    > I installed Win XP Pro over a Win XP Home Backup and screwed things
    > up. I like to just format the HD again, but want to make sure that
    > it
    > is in the NTFS format. How do I do that. Can I format it from the
    > WIN
    > XP CD. or can I use a win98 startup disk to format the HD. Will the
    > win98 startup disk format the new HD in the old FAT 32 system? Any
    > help is appreciated.......Peter

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Generally, you benefit from better performance from FAT32 on drives less
    than 30GB and from NTFS (btw NTFS = New Technology File System) on drives
    larger than 30GB. The real advantages of NTFS lie in file security and file
    system stability. A great place to learn about NTFS is at
    http://www.ntfs.com/.

    "Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message

    > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    >>I installed Win XP Pro over a Win XP Home Backup and screwed things up. I
    >> like to just format the HD again, but want to make sure that it is in the
    >> NTFS format. How do I do that. Can I format it from the WIN XP CD. or can
    >> use a win98 startup disk to format the HD. Will the win98 startup disk
    >> format the new HD in the old FAT 32 system? Any help is
    >> appreciated.......Peter
    >
    > ========================
    >
    > Can I enter this discussion with some questions? I have just installed a
    > second HDD as a slave on a very slightly older PC. I took this HDD from a
    > PC at another home location and I would like to re- format it.
    >
    > XP was on the slave HDD as OEM, consequently it runs currently on NTFS
    > (I'm not sure I understand what that means). On the older system I had
    > added XP over Millennium. That master HDD still runs on FAT32 (I'm not
    > sure what that means either).
    >
    > Reading this current discussion leads me to several questions.
    >
    > How do I format my slave HDD? Do I partition? What file system, NTFS or
    > FAT32?
    >
    > Do I need to change my current master HDD FAT32 system?. If so, how?
    >
    > Do file systems have to match on master and slave HDD's?
    >
    > Sorry to be a bother but I don't know much about this ... but would like
    > to learn. Thanks, Denzil

    Again many thanks for the wonderful help. I do have one more question. I
    backed up my desktop (NTFS) to a external HD (FAT32) is that a problem, when
    I have to restore it again to my NTFS desktop?............Peter

    > Again many thanks for the wonderful help. I do have one more
    > question. I
    > backed up my desktop (NTFS) to a external HD (FAT32) is that a
    > problem, when
    > I have to restore it again to my NTFS desktop?............Peter

    No, it's not a problem. Just as you copied files from an NTFS
    drive to a FAT32 one, you can copy from FAT32 to NTFS.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thanks Ken, that is good news. I appreciate your help............Peter

    PeterM wrote:
    > Again many thanks for the wonderful help. I do have one more
    > question. I backed up my desktop (NTFS) to a external HD (FAT32) is
    > that a problem, when I have to restore it again to my NTFS
    > desktop?............Peter

    You shouldn't have a problem.

    WinXP can read FAT12 (the file system used on 3.5" diskettes),
    FAT16, FAT32, CDFS (the file system used on most CDs), and NTFS with
    equal facility. Further, the file system on any one disk/partition or
    diskette has absolutely no affect upon the operating system's ability
    to read other compatible file systems on other disks/partitions.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks a lot Bruce for that kind email, this will make me feel much
    better............Peter

    PeterM wrote:
    > Thanks a lot Bruce for that kind email, this will make me feel much
    > better............Peter

    You're welcome

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    In news:nvSdnW_JXOk64c7cRVn-gQ@omsoft.com,
    PeterM <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> typed:

    > Thanks Ken, that is good news. I appreciate your
    > help............Peter

    You're welcome, Peter. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > Again many thanks for the wonderful help. I do have one more
    >> > question. I
    >> > backed up my desktop (NTFS) to a external HD (FAT32) is that
    >> > problem, when
    >> > I have to restore it again to my NTFS
    >> > desktop?............Peter
    >>

    >> No, it's not a problem. Just as you copied files from an NTFS
    >> drive to a FAT32 one, you can copy from FAT32 to NTFS.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Format HD Windows XP