How to overclock Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI?

civicphreak

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Anyone have issues with this motherboard using a Pentium D (e.g. 805)?

The manufacturer's site says that the 820 will not work (1 core disabled) with this motherboard, but i'm going to be using the 805. Will I have issues too?

http://us.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_484.htm

In the BIOS you can only OC the memory FSB speed, but not the processor. With Gigabyte motherboards, do you download their software to over clock or can't I just do it in the BIOS?

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I've got that board and my 805 is running stable at 3.5GHz with a slight bump in voltage. I did this in the bios and I had a wierd time of it.. Basically I bumped the volts up to 1.325 and that's what it reports in the Bios, but their mobo monitor reports 1.330-1.340 and CPUID reports 1.280-1.296. Also the clock speeds were wrong in the bios--lemme reboot real quick and I'll grab a few digital pics..

I've been meaning to post about this but I've been kinda busy and whatnot.

BRB

edit:

Ok, I guess everything is kosher; I must have messed up my math when I originally OC'd the chip. 700/4=175*20=3500. But still, this does not explain the erroneous voltage setting displayed in the bios. Sorry for the glare on the second shot.

Additionally, I'm running Bios F3 but F5 is available--I need to hook up a floppy drive in order to flash the bios and I haven't yet.
DSCN3773.jpg

DSCN3775.jpg

cpuid1.jpg

civicphreak

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
What kind of ram are you using? When i put in 2 GB of OCZ stuff, it only detected half!! I'm wondering what brand, etc you used and it was compatible... let me know.. thanks.