Previously deleted file reappears on desktop

After deleting an empty file and emptying the recycle
bin, the deleted file will reappear (sometimes days
later). When I right click on it and check the
properties, it says it is a newly created file. How do I
get this to stay away?
5 answers Last reply
More about previously deleted file reappears desktop

    Hi

    What kind of file is it - the extension? Do you know where it came from
    originally?

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After deleting an empty file and emptying the recycle
    > bin, the deleted file will reappear (sometimes days
    > later). When I right click on it and check the
    > properties, it says it is a newly created file. How do I
    > get this to stay away?

    Will,

    I would run either SpyBot Search & Destroy or Ad-Aware to remove the malware
    programs that are causing this.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > What kind of file is it - the extension? Do you know where it came from
    > originally?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After deleting an empty file and emptying the recycle
    > > bin, the deleted file will reappear (sometimes days
    > > later). When I right click on it and check the
    > > properties, it says it is a newly created file. How do I
    > > get this to stay away?

    Hi

    It may not be malware. Depends on where it is being re-created from.

    --

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Will,
    >
    > I would run either SpyBot Search & Destroy or Ad-Aware to remove the
    > malware
    > programs that are causing this.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What kind of file is it - the extension? Do you know where it came from
    >> originally?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > After deleting an empty file and emptying the recycle
    >> > bin, the deleted file will reappear (sometimes days
    >> > later). When I right click on it and check the
    >> > properties, it says it is a newly created file. How do I
    >> > get this to stay away?

    I agree. Many programs need to create files for their own use.

    > Hi
    >
    > It may not be malware. Depends on where it is being re-created from.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Will,
    >>
    >> I would run either SpyBot Search & Destroy or Ad-Aware to remove the
    >> malware
    >> programs that are causing this.
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> What kind of file is it - the extension? Do you know where it came from
    >>> originally?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Will Denny
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>>

    >>> "Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    was created to hold files. When it reappears, it is
    still empty.
    >"Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> After deleting an empty file and emptying the recycle
    >> bin, the deleted file will reappear (sometimes days
    >> later). When I right click on it and check the
    >> properties, it says it is a newly created file. How
    do I
    >> get this to stay away?
    >

    >.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP