HP deskjet -- does everything except print

Hi,

this is a 3820 using XP-Pro OS. When "print" is clicked it seems to go
through the motions: dialog box pops open with printer pre-selected,
you click print, box flashes, "printing 1 of 1" then a dialog box pops
open with the two resevoir icons and says , "status..." The green led
begins to blink but nothing happens -- the paper doesn't feed and the
carriage doesn't move. After about 20 secs one of those XP yellow
balloons opens to inform you that the document failed to print, duh!

I know the paper feed and carriage work cause they run when the thing
is un/replugged. And when the lid is lifted the rollers run back and
forth a few times.

-bliss
3 answers Last reply
More about deskjet print

    Don't you just hate that? Does the infernal machine print a test page on
    its own? Have you uninstalled the printer and software, restarted and
    reinstalled the printer and software? Have you tried a lot of cursing and
    screaming obscenities at it? That usually makes me feel better, but has no
    apparent effect on the device in question.

    "blissfix" <gjlap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > this is a 3820 using XP-Pro OS. When "print" is clicked it seems to go
    > through the motions: dialog box pops open with printer pre-selected,
    > you click print, box flashes, "printing 1 of 1" then a dialog box pops
    > open with the two resevoir icons and says , "status..." The green led
    > begins to blink but nothing happens -- the paper doesn't feed and the
    > carriage doesn't move. After about 20 secs one of those XP yellow
    > balloons opens to inform you that the document failed to print, duh!
    >
    > I know the paper feed and carriage work cause they run when the thing
    > is un/replugged. And when the lid is lifted the rollers run back and
    > forth a few times.
    >
    > -bliss

    "blissfix" <gjlap@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > this is a 3820 using XP-Pro OS. When "print" is clicked it seems to go
    > through the motions: dialog box pops open with printer pre-selected,
    > you click print, box flashes, "printing 1 of 1" then a dialog box pops
    > open with the two resevoir icons and says , "status..." The green led
    > begins to blink but nothing happens -- the paper doesn't feed and the
    > carriage doesn't move. After about 20 secs one of those XP yellow
    > balloons opens to inform you that the document failed to print, duh!
    >
    > I know the paper feed and carriage work cause they run when the thing
    > is un/replugged. And when the lid is lifted the rollers run back and
    > forth a few times.

    Start with the easy:
    Does holding down the feed page yield a test page? Have you tried
    uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, or using compatible drivers?

    When you turn the printer on does it run the rollers for a couple seconds or
    like 2 minutes, cycling through all known speeds and directions? Does it
    happen to feed through any pages at startup? Does the carriage move to the
    center when the lid is lifted?

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Don't you just hate that? Does the infernal machine print a test page on
    > its own? Have you uninstalled the printer and software, restarted and
    > reinstalled the printer and software? Have you tried a lot of cursing and
    > screaming obscenities at it? That usually makes me feel better, but has
    > no
    > apparent effect on the device in question.

    If his had a service station failure like mine, the best relief comes from
    taking it out to a parking lot and smashing it with a baseball bat, or
    throwing it in front of a train / truck / off of a 5 story building.

Printers Windows XP Hewlett Packard Peripherals