mtrx

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I droped the WD200 hdd and now it stoped working, it only detects 8.4 giga and it does not work , it has power cose the discs inside work in the hdd , butt when is start the computer it says no ide hdd detected .
Mainboard asus p4p800-e-deluxe
Help

mtrx

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
OMG but the mainboard in bios detects the hdd as Wd104 and it detects only 8.4 giga , where is 11.6 giga ??? Gone ? where ?

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
It makes me think that one or more of the platters is undamaged. Honestly, even if you could get the remaining bit of the hard drive to work, could you trust it to keep your data safe.

Buy a new hard drive and don't feel bitter. Much worse things will probably happen to you in your computer life and good hard drives can be had for less than £50.

mtrx

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
ok but in windows i cant see the 2 drives , i have a program called systool and it sees the hdd and it benchmarks it to, if the program sees it why dont the windows see it ?

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Because it's damaged. If windows can't see it, it's probably the file system section of the platter that's been hurt. No can read=no can use. :?

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
They should be more explicit on the things you can and can't do with a hard drive. Apparently you have discovered that dropping it isn't the most beneficial thing to do - something I would have never guessed before.

I am shocked that there was not a large warning label on the hard drive explaining this. Similar to the current warning that the contents of a coffee cup from McDonalds 'Contents may be hot'.

I would imagine a beginning list of warnings should include:

“Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate the hard drive. Do not sauté, bake, roast, boil, broil, or barbecue. Not intended for construction purposes. Not intended to be taken internally (choose your path.) If rash persists – you might want to stop. May cause (we really don’t know) rectal bleeding, hair loss, hair growth, sterility, fertility, obesity, anemia, mood swings, coma, spontaneous combustion, bust enlargement, six-pack abs, buns of steel, or body odor. Oh – and don’t drop it either – that might not be good.”

Without solid guidelines like this on all consumer products – how can the ALCU survive? Be an idiot – save a lawyer.

Cheers.

plewis00_uk

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Get a piece of software called Restorer2000 Professional, it will probably be able to extract your data. If you don't need your data then just buy a new one and be done with it.

But seriously, as someone else said, coming from the guy who is adamant that you can unlock the multipliers on a laser-cut and locked Intel CPU, or that running a Northwood at 1.8V is healthy OR that 3.72Ghz is a bad overclock AND then having dropped a hard disk I don't think you should be fiddling around with computers at all...

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
lol. Wow. This is a funny topic :):):)

Abra-cadabra. It's fixed :)

You probably busted the R/W arm. The proggie is probably reporting it because the PCB is still working, but it's not checking for successful reads/writes, or it's not checking S.M.A.R.T or something. Windows probably realizes the problem, based on what the driver is reporting.

Get a S.M.A.R.T compatable tool. It'll tell you exactly what's wrong, if you REALLY want to know (and if your HDD supports it). If you didn't bust it, repartition it and format it.

Either way, get a new one. I wouldn't trust any data in a drive that took a blow.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
If you're feeling gutsy and clean you can take the drive apart and see what the problem is. But only do this in a "clean room environment".
From your previous topics, I'll assume you don't know what that is. It means a room without carpet where you've vacuumed the floor ten times then run a HEPA air purifier for a couple days. Then, after washing your hands and applying a hair net in a long sleeved shirt, you can open the drive.
My friend managed to salvage the data off a drive doing this, but it's pretty much a last resort. If nothing else it should keep you busy for several days.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Now everyone wait one moment. Technically dropping a hard drive is being clumsy not stupid. Its only stupid if its its intentional.

Twice I caused by external enclosure to do a 3 foot belly floop from my desk to my floor through pure clumsiness. Npw of I came hope and tossed it on the floor next to my PC then that would be stupidity.

Fortunately the Hard Drive gods simled down upon me and both time my WD120 survived. (I belive my recenct sacrafice of cash for a 74 GB Raptor and then two 400 GB WD Raid Edition drives for RAID 1 operation has gained me favor)

Anyway the 2nd thing you do when dropping a hard drive is to run a full diagnostic using the manufacturer's utility to see if its broke.

The first thing you do ususally invovles use of words unsuitable for public posting.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Now everyone wait one moment. Technically dropping a hard drive is being clumsy not stupid. Its only stupid if its its intentional.

Twice I caused by external enclosure to do a 3 foot belly floop from my desk to my floor through pure clumsiness. Npw of I came hope and tossed it on the floor next to my PC then that would be stupidity.

Fortunately the Hard Drive gods simled down upon me and both time my WD120 survived. (I belive my recenct sacrafice of cash for a 74 GB Raptor and then two 400 GB WD Raid Edition drives for RAID 1 operation has gained me favor)

Anyway the 2nd thing you do when dropping a hard drive is to run a full diagnostic using the manufacturer's utility to see if its broke.

The first thing you do ususally invovles use of words unsuitable for public posting.
Agreed. Good reply :)

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
If you're feeling gutsy and clean you can take the drive apart and see what the problem is. But only do this in a "clean room environment".
From your previous topics, I'll assume you don't know what that is. It means a room without carpet where you've vacuumed the floor ten times then run a HEPA air purifier for a couple days. Then, after washing your hands and applying a hair net in a long sleeved shirt, you can open the drive.
My friend managed to salvage the data off a drive doing this, but it's pretty much a last resort. If nothing else it should keep you busy for several days.

Wouldnt it be easier to work under a laminar flow (I assume you know what a laminar flow hood is)

http://www.nuaire.com/laminar_airflow_products/airegard_201.htm

Its a bench with a built in HEPA filter that gently blows sterile dust free virus free air across the work bench. We use it in virology, microbiology DNA work etc. A laminar flow hood would be useful.... this way you dont have to sterilze the whole room and have an anti room, paper booties, plastic suits etc etc. I doubt the "hair net" and shirt will surfice in a clean room btw. If your friend walked into my clean room with just a hair net and shit we would kill him or the ebola will do it for us. Oh and we dont vacume the clean room its already under negatve pressure.

Dont cry over spilt milk.... Just get a new HD....

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Ahh, my ignorance has been exposed! :D
I was more or less repeating what my friend told me to do to create a clean room when I busted my own hard drive with a bunch of important data on it. He works in a clean room all day, so I trusted his judgement on this, but a hood does sound like it would work better, to me at least. I'm more of a macrochemical kind of guy myself (missle storage testing).
But, I do know that a clean room should be under positive pressure, not negative. :D
I do agree, though. Unless there was something vital on the drive, just get a new one. Here in the US I see 80g going for $20 or $30. Not a budget breaker.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
The negative pressure is used to keep something nasty (chemical/biological) from escaping in case of an accident. The air gets filtered coming and going.

For electronics the clean room would be positively pressurized with only incomming air being filtered, unless some sort of chemical nastiness is going on.