Reflection Coeff, Mesh, Land Class, and performance tradeo..

GREGORY

Note: This post is going to be a long-winded rather technical one
with some maps and screen shots mixed in.. (might just want to click
on the image links.)

REFLECTION COEFFICIENTS

One of the most realistic features of Sim is.. surface `reflections'
implemented by an Alpha Channel in the textures. It's an 8-bit layer
(256 levels of grey) that describes the reflectivity of each surface.

PERFORMANCE TRADEOFFS

On a low end machine.. one of the performance tricks is to disable
reflectivity. In the following clip.. water effects or reflections are
turned off. The ocean still looks fine in my [humble] opinion. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Santa_Monica_FL170.jpg (384k)

MESH and LAND CLASS

In the above view the FSGenesis Mesh looks GREAT..hey FSG what
about 10m `spot mesh' for certain areas like L.A. and S.F. Bay? Then
it was noticed that [the] Land Class (LC) may be incorrect. ANd how
about those defaults roads!! A lot more can be done with LC to improve
ground detail.

Santa Monica and Hollywood are busy places all right. Here's a couple
plates from DeLorme of the area.. see Rt.2 which is also Santa Monica
Boulevard. http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/SM.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/SM_Blvd.gif

Incidentally the `triangle' at lower right locates Warner, Paramount
Studios, and Television City in case y'all were interested. Here's a
view of Hollywood area: http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Hollywood.gif
Delorme map software is used often to decide on which areas to Sim.

WHAT IS DISABLED for LOW END Sim

The point is.. tradeoffs which make Sim usable on a `low-end' box are
listed as follows:

* Water textures with effects disabled.. no reflections

* Ground scenery `cast shadows'.. disabled

* See your own shadow.. disabled

* Aircraft textures reduced to 512x512 (with unsharp mask)

* Aircraft textures converted to DXT1 with alpha flooded `all white'

* Cloud density set 5%.. means no FS8 cloud bitmap `curtains'

ANOTHER SCREEN CAP

Couldn't resist another view form 17,000' while roaming about.. yes
there are Autogens down there..

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Burbank_FL170.jpg (422k)

WHAT'S the POINT -- The main points are:

* Reflection Coeffs are implemented as ALPHA CHANNEL in the bitmaps.

* Reflection and shadow effects are disabled for low-end box

* Upgraded MESH makes a BIG difference

* Enhanced Land Class adds `another level' of improvement

* Clouds are BIG resource hog.. cloud BMPs are disabled (layers only)

* AI traffic not evaluated.. default AI at 25% used for low end.

CONCLUSION

All these items describe some of the subtleties and performance trade-
offs for a GREAT Sim experience. Identified are some areas where
enhancement can be made. Mainly.. one of the best features of Flight
Sim is Reflection COEFF. A graphics subsystem (bus and video card)
which handles COMPLEX REFLECTIVITY and SHADOWING well.. at
a high framerate.. with multiple Light Sources.. will provide the BEST
Sim experience!!

-Gregory

p.s. did ya' catch that last sentence.......!!

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:52:40 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>"Gregory"
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Santa_Monica_FL170.jpg (384k)
>>

>is that what your FS9.cfg settings you posted the other day look like?
>Setting these settings on my system and its just blury......

The settings are there to be optimized and customized for *your*
hardware and *your* taste, you yourself will have to find what works
best... Examples here are just a guide and/or a starting point :)

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta

GREGORY

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:52:40 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory"
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Santa_Monica_FL170.jpg (384k)
>>

>is that what your FS9.cfg settings you posted the other day look like?
>Setting these settings on my system and its just blury......

The setting from the other day are for the Beast System.. :)
and FS8 running on it. Not for use in FS9.

-g

Hi Gregory,

Well, I can't fault that logic, mate.

BTW, which brand of coffee do you use - it may be available here in
Australia! :)

Regards,
John Ward