Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Hey there. I'd like to start by listing the specs of my computer just incase:
AMD A64 3000+ S754
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe (new)
EVGA 7900GT CO (new)
OCZ Powerstream 420W
80GB Western Digital IDE HDD

I don't want to go into a lot of details but the main problem I am having is that when I power up the computer everything starts up but nothing comes up on the screen. Normally when the computer boots up and I turn on the monitor a green light turns on and everything starts up. Now it is going green for a few seconds then orange (inactivity), so nothing is happening.

I had a 9800 Pro and Asus K8N-E Deluxe for about a year until I upgraded to the new video card and motherboard. I'm leaning toward maybe there not being enough power but I can't be sure.

Once again I don't want to go into a lot of details about this but long story short, I bought a new motherboard (Asus K8N4-E Deluxe), had to RMA it, got a loner mobo from the retailer (Asus K8N4-E Deluxe) and have been playing on that with the new video card for the 3-4 weeks. I started having minor problems where, after restarting the computer that same problem I described above would happen, but I could always fix it by manually powering off the computer and then starting again. This problem would only occur once in a while when I restarted. Yesterday I recieved my new motherboard back from RMA (the same one - Asus K8N4-E Deluxe). Did a reformat, installed everything and all went fine. Was installing programs, drivers etc, and had no problems with any of the software or drivers, everything was working fine. I restarted the computer after installing another program (I believe it was 3dmark06) and got that same problem again, but when I manually restarted the computer, this time it did not load up. I tried waiting a couple of hours but still, no luck. The fans and mobo lights all come on but there is no response from the monitor.

I would also like to note that before purchasing the new video card I asked EVGA if a 420W power supply would suffice and they said it would even thought they recommend 450W. I'm not sure if the problem is the power supply I just think it might.

Just to recap:
-Had startup problem for the month I had it, maybe 4-5 times a week (only happened when restarting from desktop) but system always started up after manually restarting.
-Computer working fine after reformat for about a day, startup problem happened 1 or 2 times.
-Second day restarted computer from desktop after installing 3DMark06 (had already installed 3dmark03 and 3dmark05 before that with no problems) and had startup problem. Even after manually restarting a few times, computer would not post. Waited a few hours and tried again, still not working.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can get this problem fixed soon as I have a project due on wednesday! lol

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
not a PSU problem.

with my AT8 it wouldnt boot if i didnt have a keyboard connected to the PS/2 port. maybe that'll help but i can tell u its not a PSU issue, thats a good PSU.

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
see...normally if this had happened out of the blue, I might think CPU...but the CPU has been working great for about a month or more and all of a sudden this happens...grr these things frustrate me, anybody got any thoughts?

Note: nm about the 450W minimum it's only 400W minimum required so thats not the problem. Do you think it could be the CPU? I wouldn't understand why, it was working perfectly up until now...