Sign in with
Your question

ACER Ferrari 5000 Pics

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 4, 2006 9:22:57 PM

That is styling.

Any info on pricing, battery life, benchmark performance, availability? The link was kind of sparse on info. Great pics though.
June 4, 2006 9:43:56 PM

Quote:
That is styling.

Any info on pricing, battery life, benchmark performance, availability? The link was kind of sparse on info. Great pics though.

Well, I guess we'll have to follow that thread to see if they could run a set of benchmarks. I do hope that this time it features dual channel memory wit 1T command rate (not the one reviewed with 1 stick and command rate set at 2T).
Related resources
June 4, 2006 9:48:45 PM

Wow, lots of info there.
June 4, 2006 9:57:34 PM

Quote:
too bad it has a turdion instead of core duo.

That's because a core duo is NOT a 64-bit moibile chip and it gets beated badly by Turions once running in native 64-bit OS with 64-bit apps. :wink:
And if you didn't know, that's the main reason why ACER embrace Turions for their high-end laptops.

We'll have to wait and see how well the upcoming 64-bit mobile offerings from intel (merom or moron or whatever) will compete against the Turions in 64-bit mode, but as SexBomb said before in one of his threads, intel hasn't said anything interesting about additions or extensions to their 64-bit instruction set.
June 4, 2006 10:45:30 PM

Nothing special.
June 5, 2006 3:19:14 AM

Quote:
...but as SexBomb said before in one of his threads, intel hasn't said anything interesting about additions or extensions to their 64-bit instruction set.
Let me translate: "Like I once said before in one of my other threads, Intel has not said anything that is intriguing or catches the eye in reference to improving their 64-Bit instruction set or additions to such." I think that about sums it all up.
June 5, 2006 5:08:48 AM

Quote:
...but as SexBomb said before in one of his threads, intel hasn't said anything interesting about additions or extensions to their 64-bit instruction set.
Let me translate: "Like I once said before in one of my other threads, Intel has not said anything that is intriguing or catches the eye in reference to improving their 64-Bit instruction set or additions to such." I think that about sums it all up.

In fact, the only thing Intel has done to improve the 64 bit extensions was to add back the 2 instructions that were missing: namely LAHF and SAHF as these now appear as valid instructions in the programming manual.

Any link to support this, because it's weird that they didn't embrace this from the begginning just the same way they did with their misleading toy benchmarks on idf.
June 5, 2006 6:19:41 AM

To start off, anyone who is willing to buy that junk from Acer deserves a junk cpu.

Acer needs to seriously look at their built quality and design. That ferrari design has been around long enough, time for a new style, and remove that heat exhaust from the right side of the laptop so hot air is not blowing on the hand of right hand mouse user.

The included 1.3 mega pixel camera is junk. The built-in speakers are way cheap for what you have to pay for a Ferrari. The only thing worth mentioning is the fiber-glass outfit but then again, it is a waste to use it to case a badly design laptop.

Turion has been beaten badly against Dothan. What gives 2 Turions the ability to compete with Core Duo? or Merom? And I personally don't give a crap about 64 bit for now. I have tried 64 bit XP and all it did was bringing more troubles ( drivers + softwares incompatible). Who else outhere is running 64 bit XP on a regular basic? I bet that the number is very very low.

Don't forget 667mhz bus Merom is 64bit and 100% compatible with core duo platform.

To sum it all up, the link shows a second class laptop which uses a second class cpu, nothing is special to talk about.
June 5, 2006 6:20:58 AM

Quote:
too bad it has a turdion instead of core duo.

That's because a core duo is NOT a 64-bit moibile chip and it gets beated badly by Turions once running in native 64-bit OS with 64-bit apps. :wink:
And if you didn't know, that's the main reason why ACER embrace Turions for their high-end laptops.

We'll have to wait and see how well the upcoming 64-bit mobile offerings from intel (merom or moron or whatever) will compete against the Turions in 64-bit mode, but as SexBomb said before in one of his threads, intel hasn't said anything interesting about additions or extensions to their 64-bit instruction set.

You have any data that proves these theories of yours?
1. Show data proving it beats the core duo in 64 bit.
2. Show data where Acer specifically has said this about AMD.
June 5, 2006 8:00:25 AM

Sony make a better looking laptop.
June 15, 2006 1:48:18 AM

Quote:
The 1000 is the one that I like the most, it is a 12.1 inch widescreen, a webcam, a Turion X2, and the ATI Radeon 1150 chipset. All this is packed into a mere 1.7kg. The larger 5000 comes with a 15.4 inch screen, the same webcam, and a bundled bluetooth VOIP phone. In the PR shots, and on the stand, there were two cordless mice, but no official word about them has come our way.

There are also some Ferrari themed accessories, most notably a 20 inch LCD that looks a lot better than the older 17 inch model. They also have a bluetooth reciever color coded to match, and undoubtedly will come out with more themed widgets. I for one would like to see a red and carbon docking station.

I think both are going to be great products, we have only had a little time with the previous Ferrari notebooks, but liked what we saw there. The new lines only add to an already good thing.

http://theinquirer.net/?article=32414
June 15, 2006 3:18:57 AM

nice, great laptop, although performance will hav to be seen when core 2 duo is released
!