Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Just completed my first build, system specs:
CPU - AMD 4800+ (stock cooling)
MB - Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
PSU - FSP AX500-A
Case - TT Armor
GPU - 7900GT
HD's - 74GB Raptor and 250GB WD2500KS (no raid)
OS - Windows XP Pro (sp2)
Memory - OCZ PC3200 Platinum set to OCZ specs of 2-3-2-5, 1T

Build was uneventful, everything worked fine. Ran Mem Test (two instances running together at the same time), ran well, 2 hours no errors. Ran Prime 95 (one for each core) for 2 1/2 hours no errors. Temperatures were Idle - 32C CPU, 32C System; during tests they peaked at 51C on the CPU and 35 C on the system.

So, I tried a little overclock. What I wanted to achieve was a mild 7 or 8% on stock voltages/cooling. So in bios I set HT Freq to 4x, and the CPU freq at 210. Other bios setting (unchanged) were CNQ off, PCIE 100, all voltages were auto. Oh yeah, memory previously set at above timings. Windows booted fine, ran Mem Test again (2 versions running) to 300% coverage on each - again no errors. Tried to do a benchmark with Prime 95 (one on each core again) and while core 1 completed fine, core 0 errored out immediately (less than a minute). Same thing happened (obviously) with the torture test. If it makes a difference, this happened whether I ran both cores at the same time, or individually.

Tried the same thing except at CPU freq at 204 with the same results.

Then went back to stock and repeated the tests in the first paragraph just to insure that something hadn't changed. Same results as before.

Sorry for the length of this, but am I missing a setting or doing something dumb?? Remember I'm a noob. Again, I was trying to run stock voltages. Any help would be appreciated.

bomberjim

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks Wusy, I raised vdimm and that helped a bit - I know don't ask why. I also read through madshrimps (again) thanks for the reminder.

As far as Vcore is concerned, with my Epox bios set to auto, both the included software and cpu-z show the voltage as 1.44 at idle and an absolute low of 1.38 when at full load for awhile. Bios doesn't allow me to lower this, so thats as low as it's gonna get. Although it's probably a miscalibration of the sensor, is that reading high enough to be concerned? Thanks again.

bomberjim

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
It should be Vcore since it tracks exactly with Thunderprobe, the software that comes with the Epox board. I would assume that Epox is using the correct sensor when it shows the Vcore voltage, but I guess you never know. I'll install speedfan, and see what I can figure out. Thanks again.