Sign in with
Your question

Information overload on new build

Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2006 12:56:43 AM

After much research and perusing these boards I have an idea of what I'm looking at. I figured I'd throw it out here for comments, since this board seems knowledgable and willing to help.
I built from scratch about 4 years ago and figure it's time to upgrade, it will be used mainly for games and some photo editing. Haven't overclocked so that isn't a priority. Mainly looking for a decent system under 800 dollars to run some of the latest games.
All prices are New Egg, rounded up, probably shop around more when I buy...

Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Case $45.00
Like the look, not into the "bling"? I think the younger generation calls it with neon lights and spiderman graphics, my kid likes that but I'm paying for it and he only gets to "borrow" it now and then. :lol: 

OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU $130
This is probably overkill for this system, I'm thinking it leaves room for future upgrades.

MSI K9N Neo-F Socket AM2 $81.00
Thought about Intel Conroe, but the MB seem to be high compared to AM2, s939 & AM2 are about the same price. AM2 gives me a better upgrade path, I think?

Athlon 64 3000+ Orleans $110.00
The MB should support an upgrade to dual core at a later date. I figure this will run what I want for now and keep me in budget.

OCZ 1GB DDR2 800 $115.00
The MB supposed to support this but I'm not sure if this is good for the CPU. From what I've read DDR2 doesn't shine until higher end CPU's.

XFX PVT42EUDE3 6800 XTreme Video Card $133.00
Seems like a nice card for the money.

SAMSUNG HD160JJ Hard Drive $70.00
My old drives are ATA133 so I'll probably run the OS off this one and use the other for data.

NEC DVD Drive $35.00
It's black to match the case, getting away from the biege stuff.

Samsung Floppy $7.00
Seems I still need this antiquated equipment to update MB bios. Maybe not with this MB, I'll have to check that.

Keyboard & Mouse $40.00
It's black & the one I'm using is some 10 yrs old :lol: 

That's it, I'm going to reuse my CRT till I can get an LCD. Plan on using some old parts with my old case to build a system for my 3 yr old grandchild, so this isn't just upgrading the MB & video card as you can see.
Comment's, suggestions, TIA.

Halfmoon
June 5, 2006 10:39:54 AM

Thanks for the info I'll check out the link and read more on the GPU, thanks again.
June 5, 2006 3:13:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info I'll check out the link and read more on the GPU, thanks again.

Tigerdirect is awful! NEVER EVER shop there.

Anyway, nice system overall. Agree with the other poster about the GPU. Look at 7600GS or GT. That motherboard should support the 65nm CPUs coming in December.

AM2 sucks without DDR2-800. Good call there. Try and get 2GB if you want (matched paired are right at $200).

The 3000+ still has plenty of life left in it. I have one, and it performs very well.
Related resources
June 5, 2006 5:00:39 PM

Quote:

Also, your GPU is CRAP. The 6800XT has only 8 pipes, and it barely performs a bit above the 6600GT. For your money, I would go for a X800GTO or 7600GS. i think the X800GTOs are kind of dying out, so a 7600GS is probably a good buy right now.

I vote for the 7600GT, if you look around for a deal (sale/rebate) you can find them around $150, not much more than the card he chose. The GS isn't a terrible choice either, and you can buy some decently factory overclocked ones.
June 6, 2006 1:36:08 AM

I'll be looking around at the 7600GS & GT & I'll look into the ram also. Just what I was looking for some sound advice, thanks a bunch.
June 6, 2006 2:07:26 AM

Get rid of the floppy. None of my computers (2 out of 3) have the floppy drive. Anymore your new mobos can boot from thumb drives if recovery is needed...
June 6, 2006 2:34:00 AM

Quote:
Get rid of the floppy. None of my computers (2 out of 3) have the floppy drive. Anymore your new mobos can boot from thumb drives if recovery is needed...

None of your PCs have? but 2 outta 3? lol What happened the third, did it melt and not count:p  ?
June 6, 2006 2:56:41 AM

Speaking of sound advice, onboard will do just fine on a budget. Go with two sticks of 512 DDR2 800, as tight as timings as your budget will allow.

~Ibrahim~
June 7, 2006 12:00:37 AM

the one I currently have came with the pc (hand-down emachine, of course) Kind of made an oxymoron there lol none of the computers... yet 2 of 3...

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah that's what I get for not paying ATTENTION!!
!