cpu temp...fears damage

ervinshiznit

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
i was messing around w/ speedfan, and i turned the cpu fan off by accident and left it converting audio.. i got back a cpl minutes later and it was at 92C...wat could've happened in there? i haven't opened it up yet

im running a hp pavillion a1110n intel celeron d 345..intel says max temp is 67C....it didn't crash

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well maybe it didn't crash but it doesn't mean that your cpu is fine either. You should set in the bios the warning temp or set it with your speed fan if it has it and set it with auto shutdown when reaching temps over the manufacturers temp threshold. Now that your cpu has reach high temps like that you're lucky it didn't burn but Im sure it's has affected it and shortened it's lifespan.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
IMO, you're lucky to still have a CPU, let alone a working one. You should uninstall SpeedFan right away, before you make another mistake and fry your CPU.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Chances are it's fine. Intel's CPU's are very good at throttling down (although AMD has gotten much better in recent years) during catastrophic cooling failures. I've had a heatsink fall off entirely (I can never get them mounted right :oops: ) with the CPU running and it survived.

I'm not saying it's good to run your CPU without a fan, mind you. ;)

endyen

Splendid
A couple of minutes? No problem. Was it showing a BSOD? If it was still chugging along, you may not have done any damage at all.
I would not want to hazard a guess at how many times I've replaced cpu fans that have given up the ghost. With the heatsink still in place, most units will shut off due to fatal error, long before they die.