Right or left seat?

I've just noticed, Pilot in charge of a fixed wing sits in the left seat.

Pilot in charge of a helicopter sits in the right seat. Any idea why the
difference?
5 answers Last reply
More about right left seat

    Fixed wing aircraft are really made in england and japan,
    and helicopters are made in the USA
    --
    **********
    shu

    "Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@goesnowherewiththis.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:rqJPe.96791$G8.49519@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > I've just noticed, Pilot in charge of a fixed wing sits in the left seat.
    >
    > Pilot in charge of a helicopter sits in the right seat. Any idea why the
    > difference?

    "Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@goesnowherewiththis.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:rqJPe.96791$G8.49519@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > I've just noticed, Pilot in charge of a fixed wing sits in the left seat.
    >
    > Pilot in charge of a helicopter sits in the right seat. Any idea why the
    > difference?

    Not all helicopters are seated that way round. I can;t think of any
    conflicting examples, but I do believe there are some. I believe it has to
    do with which side the tail rotor was traditionally placed. i.e. so the
    pilot can look rearwards at engine start to ensure no-ones about to walk
    through it. (But Bell places it's tail rotor on the port side, whereas
    Eurocopter place it on the starboard, and PICs sit on the right in both, so
    maybe I'm wrong..) Perhaps it has to do with the controls. I know it's
    common to have dual controls, but it must have been easier in the past to
    engineer the collective in the centre. Sitting on the right also means the
    pilot is able to adjust panel controls with his left hand without leaning
    across his cyclic with it.

    Si

    "Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@goesnowherewiththis.blueyonder.co.uk>
    wrote
    in message news:rqJPe.96791$G8.49519@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > I've just noticed, Pilot in charge of a fixed wing sits in the left seat.
    >
    > Pilot in charge of a helicopter sits in the right seat. Any idea why the
    > difference?

    Not always true - at an airshow here recently the police air arm had
    several helicopters on display and I noticed that some had the PIC
    sitting to the right, some to the left.

    An officer standing nearby told me that the US made choppers have
    their PICs in the right seat. whereas many European models use the
    left.

    Since their pilots can fly whatever is available at the time needed,
    they have to be trained to fly them from either seat.

    -=tom=-

    In the early 70s I flew from Scotland to an oil rig in the North Sea in a
    Sikorsky S61. The captain was in the LH seat.

    Iain

    "Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@goesnowherewiththis.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:rqJPe.96791$G8.49519@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > I've just noticed, Pilot in charge of a fixed wing sits in the left seat.
    >
    > Pilot in charge of a helicopter sits in the right seat. Any idea why the
    > difference?

    Hi,

    The reason I've heard for the FW pilot in the left seat is that most
    traffic patterns are left hand and thus the person sitting in the left
    seat has the best view into the pattern. I guess the other way of
    putting this is that it makes it harder for the poor copilot! :)

    Take care,

    Tom Gibson

    Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

    Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco

    Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com

    Keith Butcher wrote:
    > I've just noticed, Pilot in charge of a fixed wing sits in the left seat.
    >
    > Pilot in charge of a helicopter sits in the right seat. Any idea why the
    > difference?

Games Microsoft Video Games