Which Radeon X1800XT should i choose ?

bliv

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
There is a huge range in price of Radeon X1800XT's, i am wanting a 5112mb card, and i am not sure what the differnences are between them LIST.
I currently play Counter Strike Source, and this is what i would like the most perofrmance from.
My PC is currently:
Pentium 4 CPU 3.4ghz
1gb ram

thx alot
plz post, if there is anything i may have missed out which would mkae a differnce.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
All X1800XTs are great. You can get a 256mb version for less then $290. I say go for the cheapest one, since the only differences are the contents in the box.

There is little difference. CoD2 seems a nice improvement from using 512mb video card, but other than that, 256mb and 512mb perform same.

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Open your case and look at the PSU. Also, apart from the total wattage there will be a sticker on it saying how many Amps each rail outputs. You should have 18 to 20 (ideally) Amps on the +12V rail.

Look around for opinions on manufacturers to help you decide and then go with the cheapest. I've had experience with Sapphire and was happy with their cards but others will say the same thing for other manufacturers. That ASUS board though is WAY TOO expensive

bliv

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
It says my power supply is 300 watts or i think that what is says, its not totaly clear. So what should i do ?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
A 300W PSU is NOT enough to run an X1800XT. If you want a powerful card like that, you'll need to upgrade the PSU. If you have a pre-built computer, like a Dell or an HP, you'll run into compatibility problems upgrading the PSU. If you have a Dell or HP computer, your best bet is to get a new case, motherboard, and power supply. If you built your computer, then all you need is a new power supply.

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
All X1800XTs are great. You can get a 256mb version for less then $290. I say go for the cheapest one, since the only differences are the contents in the box.

Well I think there is no 256 MB version. The 256 version is the x1800XL and the core is way slower than the XT

I would take le cheapest one with 512 mb of memory (XT)
and this baby has a good of overclocking potential 8)

You need a 450 watt PSU IMHO if you want to be safe with that card AND your Prescott :D Nice choice of card BTW

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
thx for bringing me back on the good track :)
I normally buy built-by-ATI cards, and am I wrong or ATI did not build any 256mb version??

anyway sorry for that

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
As everyone says here, get the 256MB version - it's much better value for money than the 512MB version. $249 is a good price for the performance you'll get, and the these cards overclock well too.

One thing though - the fan is pretty loud, so if that is likely to bother you get a good aftermarket cooler and stick that on it instead.

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
One thing though - the fan is pretty loud, so if that is likely to bother you get a good aftermarket cooler and stick that on it instead.

Well It's not silent but not loud at all. Its more than acceptable to me. If you have good case air flow, the temps wont get too high and the fan wont go on rampage.

I started to hear the fan when I installed my watercooling on the processor. I didn't want to void the warranty on the card.

bliv

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Its does not stats cleary what my power supply is which is quiet annoying, or im just not very technical with computers ^^, but can i check it any other way. OIther then looking in my comp. Or what shoul it say.

thx alot for the replys so far though

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
ok, well when you bought you PSU was it a combo with a case? then with the case model we could find which PSU you have on the web. Otherwise take a picture of your PSU and post it here so we can check.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Well It's not silent but not loud at all. Its more than acceptable to me. If you have good case air flow, the temps wont get too high and the fan wont go on rampage.

Well, I already had a quiet Zalman CPU fan and a quiet PSU fan, so I guess I would be more likely to notice it. I guess I do like my PC to be quieter these days - definitely getting old :)

nannerla

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
A 300W PSU is NOT enough to run an X1800XT. If you want a powerful card like that, you'll need to upgrade the PSU. If you have a pre-built computer, like a Dell or an HP, you'll run into compatibility problems upgrading the PSU. If you have a Dell or HP computer, your best bet is to get a new case, motherboard, and power supply. If you built your computer, then all you need is a new power supply.
Not quite, PC Power & Cooling makes Dell replacement power supplies but I don't know the prices on them.