Omni

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004

I tried to use a Panasonic 5.8 GHz cordless phone with Vonage box, and
then with the Sipura 2100. It shows the same problem with both, that
when I speak loudly into the handset, the person on the other end can
hardly hear anything. However I can hear the other person fine.

It is not a problem of the VOIP ATA itself, because a corded phone
works fine. It is not a problem of the Panasonic cordless phone
itself, because with a POTS line it works fine. Rather it is a problem
of the VOIP ATA / Panasonic cordless combination, but what is really
strange is that the problem existed with the Vonage Motorola adapter,
and still exists with the Sipura 2100.

Vonage couldn't figure out what was wrong. I read on their website
some mention that people were having trouble with cordless phone using
Vonage ATA, but no mention of why.

So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides
getting a different cordless phone?

omni@zmaxdap.com.spam wrote:
> I tried to use a Panasonic 5.8 GHz cordless phone with Vonage box, and
> then with the Sipura 2100. It shows the same problem with both, that
> when I speak loudly into the handset, the person on the other end can
> hardly hear anything. However I can hear the other person fine.
>
> It is not a problem of the VOIP ATA itself, because a corded phone
> works fine. It is not a problem of the Panasonic cordless phone
> itself, because with a POTS line it works fine. Rather it is a problem
> of the VOIP ATA / Panasonic cordless combination, but what is really
> strange is that the problem existed with the Vonage Motorola adapter,
> and still exists with the Sipura 2100.
>
> Vonage couldn't figure out what was wrong. I read on their website
> some mention that people were having trouble with cordless phone using
> Vonage ATA, but no mention of why.
>
> So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides
> getting a different cordless phone?

Do you have a wireless router? How far from the TA is the cordless base?

Rick Merrill wrote:
> omni@zmaxdap.com.spam wrote:
>
>> I tried to use a Panasonic 5.8 GHz cordless phone with Vonage box, and
>> then with the Sipura 2100. It shows the same problem with both, that
>> when I speak loudly into the handset, the person on the other end can
>> hardly hear anything. However I can hear the other person fine.
>>
>> It is not a problem of the VOIP ATA itself, because a corded phone
>> works fine. It is not a problem of the Panasonic cordless phone
>> itself, because with a POTS line it works fine. Rather it is a problem
>> of the VOIP ATA / Panasonic cordless combination, but what is really
>> strange is that the problem existed with the Vonage Motorola adapter,
>> and still exists with the Sipura 2100.
>>
>> Vonage couldn't figure out what was wrong. I read on their website
>> some mention that people were having trouble with cordless phone using
>> Vonage ATA, but no mention of why.
>>
>> So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides
>> getting a different cordless phone?
>

> Do you have a wireless router? How far from the TA is the cordless base?

I had a similar problem without the VOIP. In my case, everytime I used
the cordless phone, my wireless network would die. I got a different
brand cordless phone and the problem disapeared.

You need to keep in mind that wireless routers and cordless phones use
the same frequency.

Yaser

Yaser Doleh wrote:

[snip]

> I had a similar problem without the VOIP. In my case, everytime I
> used the cordless phone, my wireless network would die. I got a
> different brand cordless phone and the problem disapeared.
>
> You need to keep in mind that wireless routers and cordless phones
> use the same frequency.

Not here (UK) they don't. Routers use the same 2.4 GHz band as other
devices such as wireless CCTV cameras but the digital cordless phones in
use here use frequencies somewhere in the 860 MHz band I believe. I've not
come across a phone (or a router, or anything else for that matter) using
5.8 GHz here.

Ivor

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Yaser Doleh wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>I had a similar problem without the VOIP. In my case, everytime I
>>used the cordless phone, my wireless network would die. I got a
>>different brand cordless phone and the problem disapeared.
>>
>>You need to keep in mind that wireless routers and cordless phones
>>use the same frequency.
>

> Not here (UK) they don't. Routers use the same 2.4 GHz band as other
> devices such as wireless CCTV cameras but the digital cordless phones in
> use here use frequencies somewhere in the 860 MHz band I believe. I've not
> come across a phone (or a router, or anything else for that matter) using
> 5.8 GHz here.
>
> Ivor

The OP was using "Vonage". But you make a good point about frequency
usage in different countries.

Sounds more like the AGC on the panasonic has a wider range than the VOIP
ATA handle resulting perhaps in an overflow / underflow condition in the bit
conversion. Does it make any difference if you adjust the volume on the set
(not sure if volume adjusts both incoming and outgoing speech)?
<omni@zmaxdap.com.spam> wrote in message
>I tried to use a Panasonic 5.8 GHz cordless phone with Vonage box, and
> then with the Sipura 2100. It shows the same problem with both, that
> when I speak loudly into the handset, the person on the other end can
> hardly hear anything. However I can hear the other person fine.
>
> It is not a problem of the VOIP ATA itself, because a corded phone
> works fine. It is not a problem of the Panasonic cordless phone
> itself, because with a POTS line it works fine. Rather it is a problem
> of the VOIP ATA / Panasonic cordless combination, but what is really
> strange is that the problem existed with the Vonage Motorola adapter,
> and still exists with the Sipura 2100.
>
> Vonage couldn't figure out what was wrong. I read on their website
> some mention that people were having trouble with cordless phone using
> Vonage ATA, but no mention of why.
>
> So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides
> getting a different cordless phone?

Omni

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:01:12 -0500, Rick Merrill
<rick0.merrill@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides
>> getting a different cordless phone?
>
>Do you have a wireless router? How far from the TA is the cordless base?

The wireless router, cordless base and ATA are next to each other. I
don't see why it should matter, since wifi is 2.4 GHz (?). Anyway, I
can hear what the other person is saying, they can't hear my voice
clearly.

It's a Panasonic cordless if that makes any difference.

omni@zmaxdap.com.spam wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:01:12 -0500, Rick Merrill
> <rick0.merrill@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides
>>>getting a different cordless phone?
>>
>>Do you have a wireless router? How far from the TA is the cordless base?
>

> The wireless router, cordless base and ATA are next to each other. I
> don't see why it should matter, since wifi is 2.4 GHz (?).

It is possible for their frequency generators to interfere with one
another - remote, but possible. Try placing them all as far apart as
possible and test that. Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

Rick Merrill wrote:

> The OP was using "Vonage". But you make a good point about frequency
> usage in different countries.

Vonage is available in UK. Op may in fact be in UK.

--
T. Sean Weintz - T. Sean Weintz - T. Sean Weintz - T. Sean Weintz
May be copied freely without the express permission of T. Sean Weintz.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:46:47 -0500, "Budwich" <budwich@noshrogers.com>
wrote:

>Sounds more like the AGC on the panasonic has a wider range than the VOIP
>ATA handle resulting perhaps in an overflow / underflow condition in the bit
>conversion. Does it make any difference if you adjust the volume on the set
>(not sure if volume adjusts both incoming and outgoing speech)?

This sounds the most promising explanation, because the phone works
fine with POTS line, and a corded phone works fine with the ATA.

Solution, get a different phone.

Rick Merrill wrote:
> Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
> be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone.
802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

omni@zmaxdap.com.spam wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:46:47 -0500, "Budwich" <budwich@noshrogers.com>
> wrote:

> This sounds the most promising explanation, because the phone works
> fine with POTS line, and a corded phone works fine with the ATA.

> Solution, get a different phone.

I've found that Uniden cordless phones work very well with the Vonage
ATAs. Only problem is that thhe 5.8GHz FHSS models all come with
answering machines which of course won't get any use under Vonage (and
the non-answering machine units are all analog, which I would never
use). They do have a DSS 2.4GHz basic cordless phone though, model
DCT646, that plays well with the wifi network in my house, so you may
want to try it.

--

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> Rick Merrill wrote:
>> Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
>> be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!
>
> For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless
> phone. 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.

I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a
website of anyone selling these..? All digital cordless phones in the UK
at least use 2.4 GHz.

Ivor

Ivor Jones <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote:
> I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a
> website of anyone selling these..?

Go to www.amazon.com

In the search box put: 5.8 ghz

At least that works from Malaysia, where they show us the US version of
Amazon by default.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

Ivor Jones wrote:

>>For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless
>> phone. 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.
>

> I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a
> website of anyone selling these..? All digital cordless phones in the UK
> at least use 2.4 GHz.

http://tinyurl.com/4xono

It may be that 5.8GHz is licensed spectrum in the UK/EU, and so such
phones might not be available there.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing. How
they can get away with this, I don't know.
"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Rick Merrill wrote:
> > Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
> > be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!
>
> For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone.
> 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
http://tinyurl.com/blkxk

However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns out
it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
http://tinyurl.com/bwz38

"Bob" <BobsJunkMail@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
> least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing. How
> they can get away with this, I don't know.
> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> > Rick Merrill wrote:
> > > Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
> > > be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!
> >
> > For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone.
> > 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.
> >

> > --
> > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

From the manual ...

TRANSMIT FREQUENCY
Base: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
Handset: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz

RECEIVE FREQUENCY
Base: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
Handset: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz

802.11b Channel 1 = 2412MHz
802.11b Channel 11 = 2462MHz

> Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
> This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
> http://tinyurl.com/blkxk
>
> However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns
> out
> it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
> http://tinyurl.com/bwz38
>

> "Bob" <BobsJunkMail@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
>> least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing. How
>> they can get away with this, I don't know.
>> "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless
>> > phone.
>> > 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.
>> >

>> > --
>> > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
>> > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not sure who that reply is to, but it doesn't say 2.4 ghz on the box, or
in the ad on their page.

Bob wrote:

> I'm not sure who that reply is to, but it doesn't say 2.4 ghz on the box, or
> in the ad on their page.
> "R-Guy" <ron-20050103@mcleodnet.com> wrote in message
>
>>From the manual ...
>>
>>TRANSMIT FREQUENCY
>>Base: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
>>Handset: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
>>
>>RECEIVE FREQUENCY
>>Base: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
>>Handset: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
>>

>>802.11b Channel 1 = 2412MHz
>>802.11b Channel 11 = 2462MHz
>>

>>"Bob" <BobsJunkMail@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
>>>This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
>>>http://tinyurl.com/blkxk
>>>
>>>However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns
>>>out
>>>it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
>>>http://tinyurl.com/bwz38
>>>

>>>"Bob" <BobsJunkMail@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Thanks Bob and r-guy for backing up my suggestion, but I would guess
that the OP isn't listening!-)