I am looking to build a gaming rig for $1500 MAX (CAN) which includes monitor and speakers.
So far I have chosen ..
Power Up 5511 Black ATX Mid-Tower Case for $77
Acer AL1916w - flat panel display - TFT - 19" for $260
Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 Speakers System 72W Black for $80
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB for $72
LG GSA-H10A 16X DVD+-RW 16X Dual Layer Writer IDE 2MB Black OEM for $50
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card OEM for $55
Which leaves me with $860 after tax and before shipping costs. This is where you guys can hopefully come in.
I have been out of the technology loop for about 3 years so I’m not sure what’s hot and what’s not so to speak. This also means that I haven’t played any of the recent big hit games. My preference is for FPS’s, RTS’s, and MMORPG’s if that makes a difference in choosing the spec.
I need suggestions in the specified price limit for CPU, motherboard, video card and memory. If I have a bit of money left I might buy an additional Seagate drive.
I am not concerned with overclocking heavily because I will also use the computer for business and I do not want to jeopardize its stability. My other stipulation in choosing the components is the capacity to upgrade so please bare that in mind also.
One more thing… Will I need to replace the PSU that comes with the case?
I wouldn't buy 1GB now and then another later as they might be uncompatible and there is a good chance they won't work in dual-channel if they aren't EXACTLY the same. Just because you buy two of an item doesn't mean that they will work in Dual-Channel, and that is why they have Dual-Channel kits.
Tom's Hardware hasn't updated their video charts as of yet, but these reviews should provide some insight:
First of all, dump that Acer LCD and get a better one with the Viewsonic vx922 for about the same price now at newegg. 2ms refresh rate and I trust Viewsonic more than Acer with LCDs.
For $50, I wouldn't take an LG burner, I would pick NEC or Plextor.
I would make the jump to x-fi instead of the Audigy 4, but I don't think you'll find an x-fi below $100.
I suggest a dual-core proc about $300-400, MSI, DFI, or ASUS mobo. Video card, 7800 or x1800. RAM, whatever brand you love (Corsair, OCZ, etc) and get at least 2 GB.
... u truly are a noob.. some pple shouldnt respond sumtimes.
look at where he is... CANADA... you wanna ship him the monitor for newegg?
1. Acer AL1916wb is one of the nicest monitor they've made, I have one myself, planning to get another one. and thing is... do you need 2 ms? tats disgusting if you aren't even gonna use it for hardcore gaming.
2. If you are planning to upgrade, in like the next couple of years, you should go Intel. or AM2.
3. If you arent gonna game in high/ultra RESO and running a gosu GFX card, you wont really need a new power supply. If this is solely for business and a bit of gaming without Overclocking, you should do fine with the case psu... depending on how much the Voltage is and the Wattage.
4. RAM doesnt need to be too nice anymore, because you aren't OCing. You can still go OCZ, just get their value kits.
5. Video Card, stick with a 7900, it'll keep you in line for a while longer than the 7600.... but as i said, if you dont really care about gfx TOO much, and you dont game like some other pple out there, you can get a 7600 GT. I personally wouldnt recommend it