Sign in with
Your question

PSU Fan Speed Too Low?

Last response: in Components
June 5, 2006 1:21:20 PM

My system includes an Enermax Liberty 500W psu and an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard. I have installed the Asus Probe utility for displaying temperatures and fan speeds.

When I check, all temps and rpms are green, i.e., normal, except for the psu fan. It reads typically about 920 rpm. Asus Probe shows this as red, and gives me a warning about the psu fan rpm.

The psu manual indicates that normal psu fan speed is in the range 800 to 2000 rpm.

Does the fact that I get usually around 920 rpm mean that there may be a problem with psu cooling? Should it be higher? Is there anything that I need to adjust?

More about : psu fan speed low

June 5, 2006 2:37:32 PM

Can you change the warning setting for the probes?
How hot is the air coming out of the power supply unit? If its not that warm then its working fine. If its real hot when the rpm is low then I would say you have a problem.
How does the system run? Any sudden shutdowns? Crashes?
What does the rpm goto when the computer has been underload for awhile. Try running a graphic intense game, convert a dvd or something to make the ps work hard and see if the fan rpms go up.
If they do then its just the warning is set to low on the probe.
June 5, 2006 3:09:19 PM

I would agree that you can change the settings for asus probe lower. Also your PSU has

"Special design 12cm fan combines silence and cooling by intelligent speed control. "

so it senses heat and increases rpms as required.
Related resources
June 5, 2006 3:54:46 PM

Hi,
I got the exact same mobo, but in asus probe II I can't see the PSU fan speed, maybe it's the way I've plugged it. Maybe you can help me get a reading and I'll be able to help you :) 
June 5, 2006 4:33:48 PM

Quote:
I got the exact same mobo, but in asus probe II I can't see the PSU fan speed, maybe it's the way I've plugged it. Maybe you can help me get a reading and I'll be able to help you

My psu fan cable consists of two wires with a brown connector. I plugged that into the motherboard near the cpu.

By the way, the air coming from the psu is cool. The system has never crashed of froze. Mind you, I only have about 2 hours operating time since I just finished assembling it and am in the process of loading driver updates and so on.
June 5, 2006 5:09:02 PM

Thx
I"ll check that out tonight :D 
Maybe it's just my Antec PSU that does not support monitoring.
!