Sign in with
Your question

Please Help On My OC Intel 805 Setup! Thanks!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 5, 2006 2:41:50 PM

Hey everyone I have my setup up an running which is the following

Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI (Rev 1.1) Bios Rev. F4
2GB PQI Turbo DDR2 667 Mem
eVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR
In an Antec Sonata II Case (has Antec 450W PS & extra 120MM fan)
Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU Fan
Intel D 805 (the right model chip and stepping)

My problem is that I can oc my setup no problem to 3.5ghz and it seems pretty stable by running it 100% however the Easytune 5 program the mb came with which monitors my oc'ing and voltages ... etc shows that the chip voltage really fluxuates from say 1.22-1.35v ....

When I try to oc it to anything higher say 3.6 at stock voltages my system becomes unstable and I get random reboots or freezes.... so I tried a minor voltage bump and it helped but still when I max out my system (100% usage) I still get reboots or lockups but not as much....

I did try to go up to 3.8ghz with up to from 1.4 - 1.5v voltage change and my system wouldn't even go ino windows.... so I thought to just try and get 3.6 and stay with that but that isn't really working (- see above)

So I don't really dont know whats going on or what im doing wrong.... I know some of you have the same Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI board and can get 3.6 at stock voltages with no problem.... so whats the deal?

My last and only thought is that it could mabye be the powersupply? When I don't have a major load on the system the voltage monitor (easytune 5) pretty much stays at about 1.29 - 1.35v but when I tax it out it goes low say to 1.21v

thanks for you help as I don't know what to look at next or if I should buy a new PS.... if so what brand / unit / Wattage would you all recoommend?

More about : intel 805 setup

June 5, 2006 3:00:44 PM

What kind of power supply did you put in it?
June 5, 2006 4:00:34 PM

I have the Antec Sonata II Case (has Antec 450W SmartPower PS & extra 120MM fan) I was asking if it is the power supply then what brand / wattage would you all reccommend? If indeed thats what my problem is??? thanks!
Related resources
June 5, 2006 4:57:01 PM

Look on the label and give us the specs.

+12v = ?
+5v = ?
+3.3 = ?

A 450 watt psu should be adequate to run your rig. If it's a good one. The fact that your voltage isn't stable could mean that your power supply is struggling. When a psu is included with a case, they are often low quality.

Consistant voltage on the 12 volt rail is critical, even more so if you are going to OC. Look for a psu with a minimum of 18A on the 12 volt rail.

If you are going to an actual store to buy a psu, keep in mind that weight is a good indication of quality. If you are looking at 2 psu's with the same specs, buy the heavier one.

Personally I like Seasonic and PC Power+ cooling psu's. but there are alot of good ones out there
June 5, 2006 5:19:00 PM

Thanks for the reply... here are the specs posted on the Antec 450w Power Supply that came with the Antec Sonata II case

+5V max 30A min .5A
+3.3V max 32A min .5A
+12V 1 max 15A min 1A
+12V 2 max 17A min 1A
-12V max 0.3A min 0A
+5 SB max 2.0A Min 0A

thanks again.....
June 6, 2006 2:19:33 AM

No we will not help you OC the 805! You will have to live with this slow pice of crap for the rest of your life! hahahaha
June 6, 2006 2:59:54 AM

Quote:
No we will not help you OC the 805! You will have to live with this slow pice of crap for the rest of your life! hahahaha

Be nice
June 6, 2006 4:23:57 AM

Im just tired of people who have specifically went out to get an 805 and automatically expect to squeeze 4.0 or 4.2 out of it.

If they cant squeeze > 4.0 out of the 805 then they have to live with that or buy another CPU which is faster stock.
June 6, 2006 5:11:44 AM

3.8 ghz out of a $100 cpu is a pretty good deal, If I was still learing to OC I'd much rather do it with a cheap processor. Besides, not everyone has deep pockets. So maybe instead of being sarcastic, you could help the guy out with some usefull advice.

As far as your psu. with that much of a voltage fluctuation, I'd recommend getting a better psu. The specs on that one are borderline at best. The 805d is pretty power hungry. If you still have a problem I'd test the memory (run memtest http://www.majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html ) and make sure the cooling in the case is up to snuff.

here is what I generally do when I oc. Keep in mind I'm still running socket A (old AMD) stuff, but memory is memory and the method is good.

1:Instead of running full passes on memtest, run just test 5 for a minimum of 5 passes by pressing C for configure after it starts, then 1 for test selection, then 3 to select tests then 5 for test 5, press enter, the 0 to resume, this will loop test 5.

2: if you fail test 1 thru 4, the memory is junk..... period. Won't work at any speed.

3: After passing test 5 for the minimum of 5 passes, then hit escape, which will reboot, go into the bios, raise the fsb, and do it all over again.

4: when you get to a point where test 5 no longer passes without errors, try raising Vdimm a step, if that don't work, then loosen the timings. If still no go, then its the end of the rope for the memory.
Also, active cooling on the memory helps too.

5: go back to the speed of your last good pass, and run it again, this time 8 passes. when done, Configure again and run test 8 for 5 passes.

6: Now that you know your Memory limits, set your fsb back to where it you know it will load windohs. leaving the memory timings and voltage at where it passed at the highest fsb.

7: Boot windows, Download clockgen for NF2, and also OCCT.

8: Run OCCT at your baseline fsb, if it passes, then use clockgen to raise fsb,and try again, if it fails raise Vcore, and try again at that speed.

9: the idea here is: Finding your max stable fsb. If your memory can run way up and pass memtest, it doesn't mean your CPU can be stable at that speed without a bunch of voltage. You can get to a point where more Vcore won't help. If you get to that point, call it quits. Every CPU has its limits. If your stable at 211 fsb, but need to bump the Vcore a ton to get 212 stable, then 211 is the limit, anything past that is going to be dangerous.
Using clockgen as an alternative to raising the fsb in the bios, is a safe way to do it. First, your already in windows, second, if it locks, a reboot is all you need to do to revert. Less chance of going too far and having to clear cmos or boot safe mode and reset.
June 6, 2006 6:10:22 AM

What speed and timings you are running your memory at?
Have you tried running the memory at slower speeds and/or losser timings?

As for power, try disconneting any extra drives ect. temporarily.
Look for a good name brand with at least 600watts.
June 6, 2006 2:16:51 PM

Thanks for the info however some of those power suplies are quite expensive (seasonic, power cooling) what about the following units?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
or
or
or

I was thinking about the OCZ unit above or even the Aspire since the +12v A is very high

Also 2 things should I get a unit that is SLI certified? My mb is an SLI board and I have 1 evga 7600gt video card but I am not going to be running this setup in SLI???

and do I need to look at a power supply that has dual +12v or is a single +12v ok or more???

thanks !!
June 6, 2006 4:40:12 PM

My memory is PQI Turbo Memory 667

and the time on the chips are 4-4-4-12 however the only thing in the bios shows the following:

New Mem Speed: 666 @ DDR (-SET AT <--- This Area Is Changeable)
Current Mem Speed: 656.3 DDR

again this is a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Rev. 1.1 Bios F4 board

so I guess I can only change the memory speed and there is a option to change the voltage on the memory but that is it
June 8, 2006 7:39:44 PM

Quote:
When I try to oc it to anything higher say 3.6 at stock voltages my system becomes unstable and I get random reboots or freezes.... so I tried a minor voltage bump and it helped but still when I max out my system (100% usage) I still get reboots or lockups but not as much....

I did try to go up to 3.8ghz with up to from 1.4 - 1.5v voltage change and my system wouldn't even go ino windows....

Tisk Tisk. One step at a time.

I would be curious about the PSU as well. There are many PSU calcs available to see what your power requirements are. They arent gospel but they give you a good idea of where you are. Some might not recognize the amount of power an OC'd 805 really does consume.

Here is one: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

If your power supply is meeting your current (HEH) needs, another thing to keep in mind is the Gigabyte GA-8N only comes with a 4 phase voltage regulator. This might limit the board's OC-ability giving you unstable voltage.

Dont get me wrong, people have used this board and gotten the results you are looking for, but every piece of hardware is different and if a new PSU isnt the answer it might be worth looking into.

Quote:
Also 2 things should I get a unit that is SLI certified? My mb is an SLI board and I have 1 evga 7600gt video card but I am not going to be running this setup in SLI???

If you do not plan on running SLI you dont need an SLI PSU. If you upgrade your PSU I would get one that is SLI to give you upgrade paths down the road. (Adding another video card) They arent that much more and most good PSUs come with that feature nowadays anyways.

Quote:
Im just tired of people who have specifically went out to get an 805 and automatically expect to squeeze 4.0 or 4.2 out of it.

Should have read

Quote:
Im just tired of people who spent significantly less than me and got an 805 to affordably squeeze 4.0 or 4.2 out of it.

-M
!