Anyone using Antec SmartPower PSU

meganova

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
It may be nothing but im still worried.

My Antec's fan does not spin or so as it seems. I dont have any temperature information of it but when i toched the fan grill it was warm and didnt feel any airflow. Is there anything wrong ?

thx

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I just pulled this off of the antec website

"-Flow-through dual 80mm fans (one intake and one exhaust)

-Unique Dual Fans Technology: exhaust fan starts to spin when the power supply reaches certain temperatures to ensure proper airflow, the second fan spins on power up"

Open up the case and see if the intake fan is running. If so, then you should be ok. Put the machine under a load and see if the exhaust spins up.

Hope this helps

TM

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Yep, I have the SmartPower 500 watt. The rear grill air flow is barely detectable, but it is there. The computer has to be quite busy for the air flow to feel even slightly warm. The second fan regulated by temperature has never come on in 8 months. That's because I purposely built my system to be cool and quiet.

In fact my Tripp-Lite 800 watt UPS makes more noise than the computer.

One thing about the UPS fan is that while it has a quiet idle, the fan will start to whirr when power consumed equals 200 watts or more. It took me two months to figure out the whirring was from the UPS fan , and not the PSU fan.

-Bob