Hp Laserjet 2100 hardware issue

Hi,

My laserjet turns on all leds after the self test and refuses to print
anything.

The manual indicates that this is a hardware issue, I found postings
pointing in the direction of the fuser unit.

How can I get more diagnosis? If the fuser is broken, where could I get
a used one to replace it (living in Germany, Central Europe).

Thanks,
Klaus
3 answers Last reply
More about laserjet 2100 hardware issue

    "Klaus Pieper" <kfpieper@web.de> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My laserjet turns on all leds after the self test and refuses to print
    > anything.
    >
    > The manual indicates that this is a hardware issue, I found postings
    > pointing in the direction of the fuser unit.
    >
    > How can I get more diagnosis? If the fuser is broken, where could I get
    > a used one to replace it (living in Germany, Central Europe).

    Try
    www.fixyourownprinter.com
    which has (some) tests and suggestions.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    I managed to get the printer during a bright moment running before it
    returned to the previous error.

    From the self test I get:

    12330 pages printed

    Error protocol

    Code 50006 for page 12330 (the last one),
    7 times Code 50013 for pages between 11121 and 12258.

    I took off the cover and cleaned the beast, but didn't find any
    mechanical problem.

    On 19-Mar-2005, Klaus Pieper <kfpieper@web.de> wrote:

    > The manual indicates that this is a hardware issue, I found postings
    > pointing in the direction of the fuser unit.
    >
    > How can I get more diagnosis? If the fuser is broken, where could I get
    > a used one to replace it (living in Germany, Central Europe).

    The fuser comprises a bulb and commonly an opto-coupler with
    power triac to form a solid state switch. The opto coupler is
    driven from a temperature sensing thermistor in the fuser assy,
    via a measuring circuit and several safety switches.

    You may have to cheat some mechanical cover interlocks,
    peer into the paper exit, or do whatever is needed to see
    at least one end of the fuser bulb, to see if it comes on
    at switch on. It should, even if only for a few secs.

    The fuser bulb is easily checked with a cheap multimeter.
    It's usually in series with a bi-metal cutout as if it stayed on full,
    It's typically 500W, under fault conditions you would have
    a good bonfire. Don't know how accessible your bulb is.

    If you can remove the fuser as an assy, you can put in a
    60W or so domestic light bulb wired to the fuser lamp
    connections. It should come on for a few secs. at
    power up. Then it senses fuser (and the thermistor) not
    heating up and goes out again.

    I've just had to fix my fuser assy, or rather the driver.
    A lot depends on how technical you are, there are
    service take/apart manuals in PDF format online for
    most of the HP lasersjets. I bought the parts, quite
    cheap, rather than a replacement. You first have to
    determine if it's the fuser or it's power supply.
    Replacement modules are expensive if you pick the
    wrong one at random and it doesn't fix the problem.
    Modules are also hard to find outside the States.

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Hardware Issue Peripherals