How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another..

September 22, 2004 2:38:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Quick question -
How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another PC?

I have several users getting new pc's today, and all I need to move over
from their old machines is their user folders in Documents and Settings. Is
there an easy or correct way of doing this? I know there is a way moving
the D&S folder to another Drive, I just don't know it's possible moving them
to another pc without fouling things up.

thanks in advance.

mike
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:44:22 PM

mike wrote:
> Quick question -
> How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another PC?
>
> I have several users getting new pc's today, and all I need to move
> over from their old machines is their user folders in Documents and
> Settings. Is there an easy or correct way of doing this? I know
> there is a way moving the D&S folder to another Drive, I just don't
> know it's possible moving them to another pc without fouling things
> up.

Use FAST.

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118

--
<- Shenan ->
September 22, 2004 10:59:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

As far as I know, as long as the user's account name stays the same
you can just copy them straight over. There is also the files and
settings transfer wizard which will automate the whole process.

"mike" <nosmap> wrote in message
> Quick question -
> How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another PC?
>
> I have several users getting new pc's today, and all I need to move
> over from their old machines is their user folders in Documents and
> Settings. Is there an easy or correct way of doing this? I know
> there is a way moving the D&S folder to another Drive, I just don't
> know it's possible moving them to another pc without fouling things
> up.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> mike

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:57:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

And even if the user account names are different, you can still take
ownership of the files from within Safe Mode by using the method
explained here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823306

----
Nathan McNulty