How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Quick question -
How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another PC?

I have several users getting new pc's today, and all I need to move over
from their old machines is their user folders in Documents and Settings. Is
there an easy or correct way of doing this? I know there is a way moving
the D&S folder to another Drive, I just don't know it's possible moving them
to another pc without fouling things up.

thanks in advance.

mike
3 answers Last reply
More about move documents settings user folders another
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    mike wrote:
    > Quick question -
    > How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another PC?
    >
    > I have several users getting new pc's today, and all I need to move
    > over from their old machines is their user folders in Documents and
    > Settings. Is there an easy or correct way of doing this? I know
    > there is a way moving the D&S folder to another Drive, I just don't
    > know it's possible moving them to another pc without fouling things
    > up.

    Use FAST.

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    As far as I know, as long as the user's account name stays the same
    you can just copy them straight over. There is also the files and
    settings transfer wizard which will automate the whole process.

    "mike" <nosmap> wrote in message
    > Quick question -
    > How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another PC?
    >
    > I have several users getting new pc's today, and all I need to move
    > over from their old machines is their user folders in Documents and
    > Settings. Is there an easy or correct way of doing this? I know
    > there is a way moving the D&S folder to another Drive, I just don't
    > know it's possible moving them to another pc without fouling things
    > up.
    >
    > thanks in advance.
    >
    > mike

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    And even if the user account names are different, you can still take
    ownership of the files from within Safe Mode by using the method
    explained here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823306

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    I like toys and cake wrote:
    > As far as I know, as long as the user's account name stays the same
    > you can just copy them straight over. There is also the files and
    > settings transfer wizard which will automate the whole process.
    >
    > "mike" <nosmap> wrote in message
    >
    >>Quick question -
    >>How to move Documents and Settings User Folders to another PC?
    >>
    >>I have several users getting new pc's today, and all I need to move
    >>over from their old machines is their user folders in Documents and
    >>Settings. Is there an easy or correct way of doing this? I know
    >>there is a way moving the D&S folder to another Drive, I just don't
    >>know it's possible moving them to another pc without fouling things
    >>up.
    >>
    >>thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>mike

Microsoft Windows XP