Need advice on upgrade, have $500-900

bbuckler

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Hey, want to upgrade/new build my system. I have $500-900 to spend. My current system is:
Mobo: soyo dragon 7v +
CPU: AMD xp 1600

I should get a new mobo, cpu, ram, video card, HD

I can salvage the: case, Antex tower, new 450 PSU, monitor, sound card (audigy), HD 80 Gb MAxtor, other periherials, CD burner, have DVD burner on laptop..

Also the thermotake cooling unit is a possible salvage, might want a better one for the new CPU.

I don't know the new tech so need advice.

Thanks

BCampbell

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
FWIW I've been shopping around the $600 range myself. I'm looking at a socket 939 Athlon 64 3000+, 7600GT, 2GB RAM, and $80-$100 for a montherboard. Some other people might be able to give you better specific but that's not a bad place to start on a budget. You might want to hold out and look at AM2, and you can upgrade the CPU and video card a bit if you can afford the extra $100-$200.

spanks

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Hey, just for the future you should really post what your interests are when asking for advice. I will assume medium gaming interests and a highly functional pc.

Asus a8n-e mobo - very reliable, many happy people. Pretty sure you need to update the bios to get the most out of it.

DO NOT let someone talk you into a dfi unless you know what you are doing as they are one of the worst performing mobos until you *knowledgably* go into the bios and tweak the speeds for everything.

Amd 3000+ - 3700+ take your choice, just be aware that if you go for a 3000+ (even though I love this thing) I would have to say that it would be a bottle neck for the system.

I love the corsair value select ram. I get it in 1 gig bunches. On newegg get the one with 1400+ 5 star reviews, not the other one.

7600 gt just seems too appealing to suggest anything else as I want one myself, but I am holding out for dx 10. To some extent you get what you pay for with the graphics card, even within the same gpu. Sometimes you wind up paying more just for the name. Newegg is good normally about posting the speeds, so make sure you dont pay more for something that is the same as another. Remember, if a company can oc it from the factory, you can most likely do the exact same thing with one of another brand (xfx and evga rip offs)

Cooling = arctic freezer 64. I love this thing! It is better performing AND QUIETER than the stock amd heatsink + fan.

bbuckler

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Sorry, for gaming mostly. But basically what ever I can get for the money, that should be pretty limiting. Looking at a 7600 gt video card or around that ($170) price range. That would be the main gaming piece, and building a nice system around that.

Thanks!

bbuckler

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Ok, what I have so far:

Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8N-E
Corsair ValueSelect 1GB
Arctic Freezer 64
Asus GeForce 7600 GT

Looks pretty solid.

2 Questions:

On the RAM, is this MB take 184 pin or 200?
On the CPU/cooler install, will they do it at newegg or will I have to, and if I do, how do I not F up?

Thanks all

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
It takes good 'ole 184-pin. Only DDR2 uses the 200-pin interface.

lol, no, Newegg doesn't put the heatsink on for you. Well, make sure you buy some Thermal Paste, Artic Silver is great.

First pull up the ZIF latch, then just line up the CPU pins and notch with the holes and notch on the motherboard. Don't apply too much pressure. Gently lay it down and give a tiny push. Then press down on the ZIF latch and the CPU is secure! Then put the Arctic Silver paste, in about a pea size on the middle. Spread it all around in a thin, yet even layer. The Heatsink and fan usually have their own seperate instructions, usually it is just line up holes and the corners, and after losing the screws you call the maker for some new ones, wait patiently for a few days, apply pressure, screw, done!

~Ibrahim~

spanks

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
It takes good 'ole 184-pin. Only DDR2 uses the 200-pin interface.

lol, no, Newegg doesn't put the heatsink on for you. Well, make sure you buy some Thermal Paste, Artic Silver is great.

First pull up the ZIF latch, then just line up the CPU pins and notch with the holes and notch on the motherboard. Don't apply too much pressure. Gently lay it down and give a tiny push. Then press down on the ZIF latch and the CPU is secure! Then put the Arctic Silver paste, in about a pea size on the middle. Spread it all around in a thin, yet even layer. The Heatsink and fan usually have their own seperate instructions, usually it is just line up holes and the corners, and after losing the screws you call the maker for some new ones, wait patiently for a few days, apply pressure, screw, done!

~Ibrahim~

That is pretty flawless there! I used a razer blade just so I could evenly and accuratly spread it around. Make sure there is a coat on the entire surface. If I remember correctly, the heatsink has a thermal pad on it. You will want to scrape that off and clean it to bare metal with some rubbing alchol, the highest % of it you can find. Then it is ready to install. + doing this is no more work than installing the stock heatsink from amd, just better performance.

edit-- almost forgot! Get 2 x 512 mb ram so you can run it in dual channel. It is faster than just 1 stick of 1 gig.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Agree with spanks on, well, everything! I have a question, though, does dual-channel memory only work correctly with EXACT twin memory chips, meaning they come in a pair? Or just buy 2 memory sticks of the same item?

~Ibrahim~