VibrantLife

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Does anyone know how to determine and/or where to buy "high quality" USB cables?

I assume this means they are shielded, have gold-plated connectors, that sort of thing. All comments and insights greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Elchanan

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I really don't know what you looking for, but Tiger Direct has a pretty good selection of cables. But USB technology is not like audiovideo, gold connectors wont help transfer rates, just the crossover sheilding inside is all that matters ( which is IEEE stand)

VibrantLife

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Yes, thanks. And I remembered a company in the SF Bay Area called Monster Cable. They have been the outstanding cable provider for audio/video for many years. I had no idea they made USB and other computer cables, though it makes perfect sense. Really worth a visit to their pages on USB cables, if for no other reason than to witness the contrast between a company that has a full grasp of the problems and most of the other companies out there. Highly likely I'll pick up a few of their cables!

Elchanan

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
In my opinion gold platting on USB cables is merely a gimmick. I can understand gold plating on A/V equipment that uses an analog signal, but on a digital signal I see no point. Analog has to worry about loss due to resistance but digital operates off highs and lows.

As far as cable shielding, I highly recommend it. Any signal can be ruined by electromagnetic interference.