Article - When Movie Tie-Ins Attack

darth_hangover

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
Wow. While I have to agree with everything mentioned in the article that games based on movie tie-ins typically suck (although I think a lot of issue, aside from obvious gameplay issues, comes from development on one platform and then bad porting to another - can you say Fantastic4?).

But what really concerned me about the article was the real lack of rebuttal. While most movie tie-in games that fail fail miserably, what about the ones that are extremely successful? There are a couple of succesful games mentioned in the article (like EA's Lord of the Rings series), but not a peep about LucasArts and their long standing (mostly successful, although there have been a few bumps in the road) excellent movie games such as the Star Wars X-Wing series (and probably 70% of the Star Wars games they produced) and some of the Indiana Jones games?

And what about taking it in the other direction?? If we're going to talk about obvious flops, let's look at the Street Fighter movie...Ugh.

Anyway, I love the articles on here, but if you're really just going to bash stuff that happened 10 or twenty years ago, get over it, go out and get a copy of "Destroy all Humans" and take out your frustrations on the console of your choice...

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I'd like to take this moment to suggest people buy Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay because it is fantastic and has been criminally ignored by the gaming masses.

That is all.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

darth_hangover

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
Actually CoR:BB is an excellent example as well. I remember reading articles on the production of the game and, again, it's a situation where the game did better (I think) than the movie. Of course, it helps to have the people who helped to create the movie/characters take a leading role in the game development.

Another example of this, I think, was Enter the Matrix (or whatever the name of that tie-in game was). While the gameplay left a bit to be desired (they could have used the Max Payne engine for better results, IMO), the story line and the ties to the movies were priceless...

Darth_Hangover...

'Cause even Dark Lords of the Sith have to drink sometimes...

mumra

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
I think the writer was just doing an entertainment piece. My guess is it wasn't meant to be a thought provoking analysis of the entire genre over time, but just something interesting to read.

"Repetitive to the point of tedium"

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
Man i was gonna go see the movie but it went outta theatres in like 3 days, we all know you want us to buy the game wolfy you work for them dontha! ill take it!

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (Nvidia Nforce 2)
AMD AthlonXP 2500 at 3200 (stock voltage)40c Load
Leadtek Nvidia 6800LE 12p,6v 550/700
Antec TruePower 400 watt ps
1x256 Meg Corsair ValueRam 2.5,3,3,7

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I'm attempting to get people to buy a criminally ignored game, even download the demo, see for yourself.

The movie was fairly crap in all honesty tho.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"