Sign in with
Your question

NI8 SLI - Won't boot - A0 and C1 POST Code PLEASE HELP!

Tags:
  • SLI
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2006 7:46:17 PM

Just bought an NI8 SLI mobo. Did the following:
- Connected it up with ALL THREE power connectors (ATX12V1, ATX4P1, and ATXPWR1).
- Installed my CPU with stock cooler and connected to CPUFAN.
- Installed my memory.
- Installed the SLI connector on the motherboard in NORMAL mode since I'm not using SLI.
- Installed my graphics card.
- Connected up my mouse and keyboard and turned it on. POST A0 code (no video).
- Turned it off, reset the CMOS and tried it again...same result - A0.

I didn't even try hooking up my hard drives, DVD/CD ROM, floppy, etc.

I have seen it throw a C1 code with a long beep. According to Crucial's web site my memory is compatible. I'm only using one stick and I've tried both, same result.

What am I doing wrong, or is something just defective? If so, what? The motherboard, CPU, what???

Thanks.
- Ed.

NI8 SLI Motherboard
Ultra Connect 2 550 Watt ATX Power Supply
Pentium D 805
MSI RX1800 XT-VT2D512E
2 Crucial 512MB 240 PIN DIMM PC2-6400
:cry: 

More about : ni8 sli boot post code

July 13, 2006 8:56:50 AM

Hi m8,

Long beeps is video card problem try re-inserting your video card or test it in another pc also make sure youve pluged in the extra power lead it it has one.
July 18, 2006 3:49:34 PM

hi in work that happended and one guy said u need two of every stick of memory like 2 4 6 etc!
Related resources
July 31, 2006 4:02:37 PM

Quote:
Just bought an NI8 SLI mobo. Did the following:
- Connected it up with ALL THREE power connectors (ATX12V1, ATX4P1, and ATXPWR1).
- Installed my CPU with stock cooler and connected to CPUFAN.
- Installed my memory.
- Installed the SLI connector on the motherboard in NORMAL mode since I'm not using SLI.
- Installed my graphics card.
- Connected up my mouse and keyboard and turned it on. POST A0 code (no video).
- Turned it off, reset the CMOS and tried it again...same result - A0.

I didn't even try hooking up my hard drives, DVD/CD ROM, floppy, etc.

I have seen it throw a C1 code with a long beep. According to Crucial's web site my memory is compatible. I'm only using one stick and I've tried both, same result.

What am I doing wrong, or is something just defective? If so, what? The motherboard, CPU, what???

Thanks.
- Ed.

NI8 SLI Motherboard
Ultra Connect 2 550 Watt ATX Power Supply
Pentium D 805
MSI RX1800 XT-VT2D512E
2 Crucial 512MB 240 PIN DIMM PC2-6400
:cry: 

With some Motherboards (mainly ABIT) you need to put the memory in the correct dimm slots, it should be in the manual, as it is in mine, and my motherbaord is a few years older than yours. You may also want to check to make sure the motherboard isnt shorted somewhere on the bottom (to the case) this happens alot, and can be ruled out by placing the motherboard on the motherboard box (cardboard surface), plugging the PSU into the board, memory, and video card, and testing to see if it will post like that. If neither of these work for you, I'd check the ABIT forums before RMA'n anything, as they are very knowledgable.
August 2, 2006 7:19:44 PM

Quote:
...With some Motherboards (mainly ABIT) you need to put the memory in the correct dimm slots, it should be in the manual, ...

Although this is commonly true, the NI8 SLI MB does not have this requirement - you can use any combo of slots (although you need matching memory amounts in the two banks in order to activate dual-channel mode).

I suspect your problem is an incompatibility between your RAM and the MB. I have had the exact same problem using Ballistix (Crucial's high-end brand) on my NI8. Crucial is RMAing mine for replacement with their latest version; we'll see if that works. In my case, the board would hang at the A0 (or sometimes C1) step, which is when the board is querying the SPD on the RAM to set up memory timing. A Corsair DDR2-667 stick worked fine on my board, and the Crucial RAM also worked IF the Corsair stick was present in a lower-numbered slot, indicating that the memory on the Crucial stick was not the problem, but probably the SPD programming.

The NI8 SLI, especially, seems sensitive to *which* brand of memory is used. Abit worked with Corsair, so Corsair modules are probably more likely to work. If you can show that everything works fine with a Corsair stick or two, you should be able to RMA your Crucial sticks for a newer version or refund.
!