USB port to nowhere

Beyondhelp

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I have 3 USB ports on the front panel of my CPU. Could not get them working. I opened the box to find they aren't connected to anything. I see nothing open to which they can be connected. I have plenty of expansion slots. Is there a card I can purchase to add to the board, or am I destined to have them for decorative use only?
Thanks very much.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Well, they will connect to the motherboard. They plug into a plug similar to fan connectors, just more pins. They are called USB Headers, here is where they are located:

6ecea281.jpg

You'll need a cable like this:

USB 2.0 Header Cable

~Ibrahim~

Beyondhelp

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
You are a prince among men. The box was built for me several years ago, and perhaps there are no pins available. Maybe it's just time to retire it and move on to a new toy. Thank you very much for your help!

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Most PCI-to-USB adapter cards (which give you more USB ports in the back) also have one internal USB adapter to which you can attach the front USB ports. But that will only let one of the three work. Maybe someone knows of an adapter with multiple internal connectors?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I don't know of any that actually have more than one internal plug. I would not risk splitting the USB, like through a hub, as that causes power problems. Most devices that use USB actually draw power and they need all the power they get. I personally don't trust hubs, unless they are powered.

This one has two:

2x Internal USB 2.0 Plugs

By the reviews, IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD. You are taking a chance with that card.

When you buy a USB card, DON'T buy the ones with the ALi chipset, it has numerous problems. VIA and NEC are better chipsets.

Then there is this solution:

Multiple Headers

I think you can unplug the front bay and connect those cables to the front of the case. I don't know whether all of those are powered USB ports, though...Sorry.

~Ibrahim~