KVM but I don't need video....

Czarles

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
I am planning on having two computers on my desk one for gaming the other for anything else....

I only have one keyboard and one mouse, so I guess I might need a KVM... But I have two monitors...

What should I do? what can i do.... What should I get?

Just get a KVM and don't plug the monitors into it?

threep

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
This is what I would do, don't know about everyone else...

(This assumes you're running Windoze of some sort)
Put both computers on the same network.
Get a cheap KVM switcher so both PCs use the same mouse and keyboard.
Hook both monitors up to the game PC, (if the video card supports dual monitors)
Use Remote Desktop to login to the 2nd PC
Voila!

Both computers are running, u can see one or both at the same time, the fatster computer (one used for gaming) is your primary, and email and web surfing is the other. You actually don't need the KVM switch if you set the BIOS on the 2nd PC to ignore boot errors.

8)

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
No just get a USB hub with a selectable switch that lets you swap control between the two computers. Only issue is that every time you switch it'll be like you're plugging the devices back in so some things may not like it. Now if you use a PS2 one I believe that issue would go away.

But yes if both computers are on the network you can always just use Remote Desktop to control either computer from any other computer on the network. Or even over the web but it'd be kind of slow.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
There is another solution. It is a piece of software called Multiplicity. You connect the keyboard and mouse into one computer and you can scroll across both screens (just like dual monitor system). The software just sends the input of keyboard and mouse to the other computer (through firewire or ethernet). With this setup, you can use both monitors for high FPS usage, unlike remote desktop.
It is sold by Stardock at http://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/
There is a trial version to see if it fits your needs.
The standard version only does 1 other computer and costs $30 while the pro version can control up to 6 other computers and can copy and paste between the computers, costs $50 though.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I would use the kvm, but the remote desktop thing may work too, but it will be slow and sometimes you can't do some things remotely.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I would use the kvm, but the remote desktop thing may work too, but it will be slow and sometimes you can't do some things remotely.

If this thing is on a LAN, I can attest that remote desktop is not really going to be noticeably slower. Although I would definately suggest using the "everyday task" machine as the server and the gamer as the client just for that extra little edge.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I've noticed remote desktop is slower even on a lan. I've never tried to run applications remotely, but I can only imaging that would be worse. But, hey, try it and see if it's slow or not. Doesn't cost anything to try it. :wink:

All in all though, with the price of KVM's being so low, I don't think there is any price deterant from using one. The only thing that might is if one wanted to use a USB mouse, then you will need to spend more for that.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Huh, that's really odd, are you torrenting or using a wireless link? Not doubting you, just have never seen such slowdown, even when I use something as non-optimized as raw VNC.

Remote desktop is quick and easy....but not as good as being connected to the computer(no hardware acceleration and such).

KVM's are cheap and they do work without the screen attached (i know i am doing it as we speak :) )

but in my case i still have one screen but it has 2 inputs(dvi/vga). and i want my DVI for games... and VGA is good for my other computer(lets me look in on Team Speak without sending the key board there)...

or u can go with a combo....

MAIN PC --- MAIN SCREEN
MAIN PC 2nd VGA --- KVM
SEC PC --- KVM

then u could get both screens on the main comp(more area for apps).... and use the second screen for the other comp as well(lets say Team Speak, F@H, File Server, and other software you dont need to keep a constant eye on)....just more flexible....

Hope this helps

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
No, not torrenting or anything like that. But, now that I think about it, I think it is when I use remote desktop from an XP machine to reach a terminal server on the other end. I just tried it using remote desktop to reach a win2k3 server and it was much faster.

It seems I do recall some things not functioning through remote desktop though, but I don't remember. But, like I said, test it and see if it works, or just use a KVM since they are so cheap nowadays.

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Synergy, its like that other program above but its free. I've been using it for a month now with my two computers and two monitors. Its easy to use and quite awesome.

PaulWJones

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I pretty much run with a multipel computer setup, too, but mostly KVM into one screen. The exception is the laptop just sets to the side, hooked into the network. But the two desktops use the same screen. So I was wondering, why are you using two screens? Seems like there would be some parallax view thing going on.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Synergy and Multiplicity both do the same thing. They only send the keyboard and mouse input to seperate computers, so each computer needs their own monitor.

So the following is a situation where the programs can be utilized.

You have 2 desktops and 1 laptop that are all networked together. Each computer has it's own screen, 3 total. Instead of having a keyboard and mouse for each computer and constantly switching between computers, you install one of the programs.
This allows you to have a keyboard and mouse connected to the primary computer. When you want to use the keyboard and mouse on a different computer, you just scroll the mouse to the edge of the screen and then the primary computer sends the mouse and keyboard input through the network to the next computer. The image is rendered locally on the next computer and projected on the next computer's screen. (It isn't like VNC or Remote Desktop that you see the other computer's screen on the primary screen).

Since you mentioned that you are sharing a screen between the desktops, you need a KVM switch (for the monitor at least) so you can see what you are doing on each of the screens.

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I am planning on having two computers on my desk one for gaming the other for anything else....

I only have one keyboard and one mouse, so I guess I might need a KVM... But I have two monitors...

He says that he has two monitors and two computers, one for each computer. So he would only need the KM, aka: synergy should work.

One a side note: I have an LCD monitor with dual input, I have my two desktops connected to the one LCD and I use synergy to use both of them.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I use RD from my laptop while sitting in my living room to use my primary machine for everything but playing games. I can play videos and they are perfect. If you have slow issues with RD then you have network issues or your machine is saturating with torrents or something.

I do have QOS across my entire network, computer, switchs, routers, etc. and 3389 is top priority so that does make a difference.

There is nothing I've run across that you can't do in RD or TS. It's recommeneded not to install software while in a session but I've never had an issue.

Also, one of my networks has 60 dumb terminals in two cities all going back to the main office, they are just as snappy as any new computer with office apps and web browsing. Just gotta have it all setup right.

RDP will take around 32k per client at the most, except for when you print, you don't need a LAN to get full speed out of it. And it doesn't matter what you run on the server, only image, keyboard and mouse, and sound are transmitted. Nothing application or even windows related goes over the network.

Ok, I'm done rambling :)