SATA ports question

edx1515

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Using an ASUS A8N SLI DeLuxe motherboard, I want to build a system with 3 HDDs and 2 Optical Drives, all SATA.

The HDDs will NOT be configured for RAID.

The A8N SLI Deluxe has 4 "regular" SATA ports & 4 "RAID" ports.

Will such a system be successful, or do I need a PCI card with SATA ports?

Sincerely,
edx1515

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Not sure there are even SATA optical drives available yet, though they probably are, but why must you have all SATA drives? I certainly wouldn't buy an extra controller just so I could use SATA optical drives that are slow as molassas anyway, electrically speaking.

edx1515

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
SATA Optical Drives exist.

I have used Plextor PX - 716 SA drives for > 1 year.

Thanks for the reply.

Sincerely,
edx1515

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Figured they must, but I've not looked for them. But, the point remains the same, optical drives are slow. However, if you want to reuse your current drives along with a gaggle of SATA HD's then I guess getting another controller might be cheaper than replacing the drives. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
connect the hd's to the sata raid and the opticals to the other controller. You then configure each hd individually as raid 0. i have done the same thing it works fine.

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Figured they must, but I've not looked for them. But, the point remains the same, optical drives are slow. However, if you want to reuse your current drives along with a gaggle of SATA HD's then I guess getting another controller might be cheaper than replacing the drives. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

who cares if they are slow.. IDE cables are so damn ugly.. SATA are nice and clean looking..

as they other guy said config them indevidually as RAID 0..

and i dont mean to jack your thread.. but does anyone know if you can connect one of those IDE to SATA connectors to a DVDRW drive and have it still work??? i wonder.. i would love to just go SATA...

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I personally wouldn't spend extra money on a controller to be able to not use an ugly cable when I could just purchase an IDE optical drive to begin with. But, if it's a matter of wanting to reuse SATA opticals that one already has instead of buying new drives, then OK, I can see that point.

But hey, what ever floats your boat I guess. You can get round IDE cables if you want.

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
yeah but the rounded cables are still stiff and there is alot of cross-talk.. sata are just easier.. no 80pin crap.. just a small clean connector...

halcyon

Splendid
I can't imagine why not, those PATA-to-SATA converters work for faster hard drive throughput so I can't imagine why they'd not work for slower optical throughput.

...but to be accurate and fair, I've not tried it myself.... :roll: