Last response: in Systems
June 5, 2006 10:10:29 PM

Okay, I'm making a new build and here are the components:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
G.SKILL 2GB (2x1GB) ram
Western Digital 250GB SATA hdd
Sapphire Radeon X1800XT 512MB video card
Coolermaster Centurion 5 case
Rosewill modular power supply (with 24 pin connector)

I'm looking for a motherboard (socket 939) that supports the Athlon 64 X2 processor and doesnt have issues. Regular ATX form factor is preferred, and I'm not looking to do any serious overclocking or anything. I just need something that's solid and can handle gaming. I can do anything up to maybe $120. The mobo can be SLI or Crossfire compatible, or not have compatibility for either. I'm not picky.

Thanks for your help

More about : finding motherboard

June 5, 2006 10:26:40 PM

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm looking at building a system almost identical to yours. I have looked at a few different motherboards, but from what I can tell you can't go wrong with the Asus A8N line.

Asus A8N-E which doesn't support SLI
Asus A8N-SLI
Asus A8N32-SLI (SLI at 2x16 I think)

The latter will be out of your price range I think, but the regular SLI one might be worth the cost if you can add a 2nd vid card later.
Related resources
June 5, 2006 10:35:17 PM

Quote:

Asus A8N32-SLI (SLI at 2x16 I think)

That's right.... the A8N32-SLI does have 32 PCI-E lanes.
June 5, 2006 10:36:57 PM

Umm he is getting an ATI card which rules out the A8N SLI series of boards (all 4 of them). Go for the A8N-E as if you aren't gonig to CF now you probably won't do it later.
June 5, 2006 11:16:02 PM

how does that rule them out? Sure it's not the best way to spend his money, but maybe there is another feature on those boards that he likes.....
June 6, 2006 12:17:44 AM

Quote:
how does that rule them out? Sure it's not the best way to spend his money, but maybe there is another feature on those boards that he likes.....

Exactly, plus you can get CF running on an SLI board :)  Ironically, in some benchmarks it runs better than CF boards.
June 6, 2006 12:58:25 AM

You can run ATI cards on SLI boards (single) but I don't think CF is an option..

for the board, I like mine, and it's relatively cheap (see sig)
June 6, 2006 2:33:03 AM

Quote:
You can run ATI cards on SLI boards (single) but I don't think CF is an option..

for the board, I like mine, and it's relatively cheap (see sig)

All the logic for CF is on the master card, not the motherboard as with some of the SLI logic. CF will run on an SLI board with some crafty tinkering. :D 
June 6, 2006 2:58:33 AM

I've heard alot of people mention that you can do Crossfire on a SLi mobo. Just what is the success rate of that tweak? Because I don't want to give shady advice, or anything to someone who asks.

~Ibrahim~
!