AMD's Plan Of Attack

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
You introduced a plan, called Torrenza, that sounds like your answer to Intel's platform approach, where you team up with other companies to create what you call "open platforms." What kind of reception are you seeing from this approach?

Customers are finding the fact that we are opening up our architecture very attractive. There are some segments where raw chip performance is important, but that's a small segment of the market. As [Intel] closes the technology gap, it will be a much tighter race, but we're going to introduce a really new architecture that will work well with our partners for the best performance. We're going to start sampling it at the end of 2007 and roll it out in 2008.
Once again, we're going to distance ourselves from them. The good news for customers: [Intel is] getting better, but it's not a new architecture. We're in the throes of finalizing the architecture we're going to introduce next, and that's going to be killer.
That may be true, but Intel is accelerating its road map. It looks like you'll be months behind in terms of process technology over the next few years, which could give them some performance advantages. How do you fight that perception in the marketplace?
We were a year behind in 90 nanometers and nobody ever asked me if Opteron (AMD's server chip) was a 65-nanometer chip or 90-nanometer chip. They just asked, "How well does Opteron perform?" -- and they liked what they saw!

I don't see that as very different this time around. We're going to have great products and people are not going to care.

Is this K8L they're talking about?

That may be true, but Intel is accelerating its road map. It looks like you'll be months behind in terms of process technology over the next few years, which could give them some performance advantages. How do you fight that perception in the marketplace?

We were a year behind in 90 nanometers and nobody ever asked me if Opteron (AMD's server chip) was a 65-nanometer chip or 90-nanometer chip. They just asked, "How well does Opteron perform?" -- and they liked what they saw!
I don't see that as very different this time around. We're going to have great products and people are not going to care.

Where do you see your main points of attack, though?
I'm following the George Patton philosophy. We're not going to defend [trash], we're just going to attack, attack, attack. We're going to attack in servers, desktop, mobile...everywhere. We're not interested in defending. Somebody asked [Patton], "Hey, should we dig a trench or a hole?" He said, "You do that, you die." Same thing here.
This means that intel will have a hard time catching up to a more agressive AMD.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2006/tc20060605_019097.htm

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
You introduced a plan, called Torrenza, that sounds like your answer to Intel's platform approach, where you team up with other companies to create what you call "open platforms." What kind of reception are you seeing from this approach?

Customers are finding the fact that we are opening up our architecture very attractive. There are some segments where raw chip performance is important, but that's a small segment of the market. As [Intel] closes the technology gap, it will be a much tighter race, but we're going to introduce a really new architecture that will work well with our partners for the best performance. We're going to start sampling it at the end of 2007 and roll it out in 2008.
Once again, we're going to distance ourselves from them. The good news for customers: [Intel is] getting better, but it's not a new architecture. We're in the throes of finalizing the architecture we're going to introduce next, and that's going to be killer.

Is this K8L they're talking about?

Where do you see your main points of attack, though?
I'm following the George Patton philosophy. We're not going to defend [trash], we're just going to attack, attack, attack. We're going to attack in servers, desktop, mobile...everywhere. We're not interested in defending. Somebody asked [Patton], "Hey, should we dig a trench or a hole?" He said, "You do that, you die." Same thing here.
This means that intel will have a hard time catching up to a more agressive AMD.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2006/tc20060605_019097.htm

Project M2 :wink:

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
After long meetings of casting chicken bones and reading tea leaves AMD has announced they are going to make the best EVER processor. "We will accomplish this by just offering everything in the world that sounds like it could be a feature into the new products. we will also bring up every old idea and say we are gonna do those too. We dont have the capital to accomplish any of this but we can try vodoo and witchcraft and see what happens." we will plan mergers with all companies and build fabs around the planet. we will make chips that float in the air and plan on making light sabers real by 2008. we are going to only make blue light sabers though red ones would just be too much

I would highly advise that they not try voodoo. 3dfx went bankrupt with that strategy

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
After long meetings of casting chicken bones and reading tea leaves AMD has announced they are going to make the best EVER processor. "We will accomplish this by just offering everything in the world that sounds like it could be a feature into the new products. we will also bring up every old idea and say we are gonna do those too. We dont have the capital to accomplish any of this but we can try vodoo and witchcraft and see what happens." we will plan mergers with all companies and build fabs around the planet. we will make chips that float in the air and plan on making light sabers real by 2008. we are going to only make blue light sabers though red ones would just be too much

Too funny...you split my side with that one!

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Well true. 3dfx's acquisition of STB for the purpose of manufacturing their own cards did not at all work out for them. They certainly were headed for bankruptcy had nvidia not bought them out.

So essentially for 3dfx, it was either sell out or go bankrupt. They sold out.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Word.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
We will make chips that float in the air and plan on making light sabers real by 2008. we are going to only make blue light sabers though red ones would just be too much

I WANT ONE OF THOSE! :lol: :lol:
No double-blades? That would be cool, SO cool.... 8)

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: classic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: