Sign in with
Your question

What is too hot for an Opteron 170?

Last response: in CPUs
June 5, 2006 10:16:08 PM

I recently built an opteron 170 system and I think things are a bit too hot. I first used a cheap heatsink fan and the temps were like high 40's to low 50's Celcius idle and high 50's to low 60's under load. I think I can still rma the chip. When they originally sent me the mb and processor it came together and the backplate was broken off on one side leaving the heatsink and fan proped up at a bad angle putting a lot of pressure on one side of the cpu. I fixed this and later added a scythe ninja with a high flow 120mm fan and it only improved temps by a couple degrees (yes using good thermal paste). I though these things were supposed to run cool enough to oc quite a bit and mine seems to be right at the barely stable range with excellent cooling applied. I am thinking I should try to send it back and use the excuse of it possibly being damaged since how it arrived to me.

Any thoughts?

More about : hot opteron 170

June 5, 2006 10:27:30 PM

I wouldn't begin to freak unless it climbs toward 75 degrees Celsius. But don't wait until then, get better cooling. Zalman's are good, I think anyone will agree with me on that. I don't think there is anything wrong with the chip, just the cooling. Make sure you have good airflow, heatsink is seated. If you don't want to get better cooling, just get some AS-5 and replace your thermal paste with it, it'll lower the temp a few degrees to hold you over.
June 5, 2006 10:41:37 PM

The scythe ninja is one of the top heatsink available and in some cases can be run fanless and is advertised as such. I had my sempron 2800+ running with that cooler at 32-34C under load with no fan at all. I dont think it is the cooling that is an issue. I mean I have a HUGE scythe ninja (WITH 6 HEAT PIPES) with a super high air flow 120mm fan on it and in games it climbs over 60degrees C. From what everyone was saying about oc these to 2.5 - 3.0ghz from the stock 2.0 with the stock fan it seems like mine is much much hotter than most. I had 2 instances where the mb though I was over clocking (and failed) when I wasnt and I had to enter bios and reboot. I also tried a modest 5-10% oc and that did not work either then again i didnt change any voltages either.

I have a water cooling setup I was planning on using for this when I had the time but I am not even sure that woudl help much.
Related resources
June 5, 2006 10:49:54 PM

i have an opty 146 on a zalman 7000-Cu 29-31 idle, hits 40 when playing games, i blame the rising heat off the X1900XT for that
June 5, 2006 11:17:23 PM

If the retention mechanism was damaged, chances are that the HSF is not making perfect contact with the CPU.

Either get a new backplate & mounting bracket to replace the broken one or just RMA the mobo altogether.

Getting another CPU won't help in that regard.

BTW, how did you "fix" the backplate ?
June 5, 2006 11:20:43 PM

I fixed the backplate by replacing it with another backplate. I build a lot of systems and I do know how to properly attach the cooling. It would not have worked at all with the broken backplate.
June 6, 2006 1:25:47 AM

Does anyone else have an opty running as hot as this or is mine hotter than normal?
June 6, 2006 11:44:48 AM

With the stock cooler, I was in the mid 50s C under 100% load, overclocked to 2.51 (251*10) and voltage at 1.4, room temps around 75 F. I now have the Zalman CPNS9500LED and I'm now at 44-46 C.
June 6, 2006 2:45:31 PM

hi dude
ı need some help. my cpu idles at :45 load:55 (before summer idle was:41 load:52) u see my rig below. I cleaned and applied the thermal paste several times (mx-1) but got no help. Voltage is 1.52. I think the guilt one is that fucking mobo and useless fintek sensors. I think so because with the same cpu and heatsink my old mobo(9nda3I) was ideling at:32 load:42 at 2400 default voltage (1.40). Since ı bought this mobo ı couldn't lower these damn temps. I got five case fans but ı hould mention that it is rock stable. I am just stocked with the temps. What do u think the problem is? If the sensors are wrong how can I understand? I touched the heatsink on work and it was quite cool.. please give some advice
June 6, 2006 3:25:19 PM

Nothing wrong with those temps, that's a 25% OC with a resoneable voltage increase, it is rather obvious that your core will generate more heat than with a lower clock and default voltage.

Temp sensors are notoriously innacurate, you can't compare the readings from two different mobos, especially if you change the clockspeed and voltage of the CPU while switching from one mobo to the other, there just are'nt any valid points of reference.

So, unless you run into instabilities under load (8~12 hours of Prime95 then switch over to Folding@Home for a good stress test), you should'nt worry too much about those temps.
!