Restore of deleted file

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Can anyone tell me how to restore a file (HMSVBVM50.dll)
which was deleted by Norton as it contained a virus?

Why, it's not a system file? If it belongs to some application you run and
the application is giving you trouble, reinstall the application.

If you are receiving a notice on bootup that the file can't be found, it
would appear Norton Antivirus didn't delete all references to the file in
which case, check with Symantec for help with this issue.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"roy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how to restore a file (HMSVBVM50.dll)
> which was deleted by Norton as it contained a virus?

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks Michael. I found the exe in Startup and removed it
with no apparent loss to anything so Gawd knows what it
is. Anyway all seems OK at the moment, Regards

You're welcome, good luck.

--

> Thanks Michael. I found the exe in Startup and removed it
> with no apparent loss to anything so Gawd knows what it
> is. Anyway all seems OK at the moment, Regards

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

here's from:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/msvbvm50/

msvbvm50 - msvbvm50.dll - DLL Information
DLL File: msvbvm50 or msvbvm50.dll
DLL Name: VB Virtual Machine

msvbvm50.dll is a module for the Microsoft Visual Basic virtual machine.

Part Of: Visual Basic
System DLL: No
Common Errors: File Not Found, Missing File, Exception Errors

You can download it from:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/download.php?msvbvm50

Paste it in the system32 folder
Michael

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:09:19 -0400, Michael wrote:

> here's from:
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/msvbvm50/
>
> msvbvm50 - msvbvm50.dll - DLL Information
> DLL File: msvbvm50 or msvbvm50.dll
> DLL Name: VB Virtual Machine

[snip]

Good try but wrong file - original post states the file name as
hmsvbvm50.dll. Since the problem appeared right after Norton cleaned a
virus, it is probably a file supplied by the virus - intentional use of a
similar name to mislead the user.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Doh,
got so used with ms*.* files that I missed that h.
Michael

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:34:39 -0400, Michael wrote:

> Doh,
> got so used with ms*.* files that I missed that h.
> Michael

Hey, at least you tried to help. That was very nice of you to do!
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User