Restore of deleted file

Can anyone tell me how to restore a file (HMSVBVM50.dll)
which was deleted by Norton as it contained a virus?
7 answers Last reply
More about restore deleted file

    Why, it's not a system file? If it belongs to some application you run and
    the application is giving you trouble, reinstall the application.

    If you are receiving a notice on bootup that the file can't be found, it
    would appear Norton Antivirus didn't delete all references to the file in
    which case, check with Symantec for help with this issue.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "roy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how to restore a file (HMSVBVM50.dll)
    > which was deleted by Norton as it contained a virus?

    Thanks Michael. I found the exe in Startup and removed it
    with no apparent loss to anything so Gawd knows what it
    is. Anyway all seems OK at the moment, Regards

    You're welcome, good luck.

    --

    > Thanks Michael. I found the exe in Startup and removed it
    > with no apparent loss to anything so Gawd knows what it
    > is. Anyway all seems OK at the moment, Regards

    here's from:
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/msvbvm50/

    msvbvm50 - msvbvm50.dll - DLL Information
    DLL File: msvbvm50 or msvbvm50.dll
    DLL Name: VB Virtual Machine

    msvbvm50.dll is a module for the Microsoft Visual Basic virtual machine.

    Part Of: Visual Basic
    System DLL: No
    Common Errors: File Not Found, Missing File, Exception Errors

    You can download it from:
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/download.php?msvbvm50

    Paste it in the system32 folder
    Michael

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:09:19 -0400, Michael wrote:

    > here's from:
    > http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/msvbvm50/
    >
    > msvbvm50 - msvbvm50.dll - DLL Information
    > DLL File: msvbvm50 or msvbvm50.dll
    > DLL Name: VB Virtual Machine

    [snip]

    Good try but wrong file - original post states the file name as
    hmsvbvm50.dll. Since the problem appeared right after Norton cleaned a
    virus, it is probably a file supplied by the virus - intentional use of a
    similar name to mislead the user.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Doh,
    got so used with ms*.* files that I missed that h.
    Michael

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:34:39 -0400, Michael wrote:

    > Doh,
    > got so used with ms*.* files that I missed that h.
    > Michael

    Hey, at least you tried to help. That was very nice of you to do!
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Microsoft Windows XP