I recently upgraded from XP home to XP pro. everything
worked fine except office xp!. In frustration, I deleted
office and inteded to reinstall it but the installer opens
for a moment, gets to the point where you enter the
product key and then simply shuts down (without comment.
I did it 6 times same result except that one time I got a
quick message to the effect "wrong OS". Now, when I get
windows updates, it goes through the intsallation cycle
and then says "installation failed (although it keeps
nagging me to restart my computer to complete the "failed"
installation). I completely reinstalled xp-pro with no
change. any help would be appreciated.
Dan

As microsoft puts it,upgradeing from home to pro can/should only
be done with a clean install (boot to xp cd) upgradeing in explorer
isnt recommended.Boot to xp cd,install xp,new copy,delete the partition,
create one,then let xp format and install.Or at menu screen,R for recovery,
press enter for password,type:FORMAT C: /FS:ntfs Then type:EXIT Let
it reboot to cd and install.

"dpf" wrote:

> I recently upgraded from XP home to XP pro. everything
> worked fine except office xp!. In frustration, I deleted
> office and inteded to reinstall it but the installer opens
> for a moment, gets to the point where you enter the
> product key and then simply shuts down (without comment.
> I did it 6 times same result except that one time I got a
> quick message to the effect "wrong OS". Now, when I get
> windows updates, it goes through the intsallation cycle
> and then says "installation failed (although it keeps
> nagging me to restart my computer to complete the "failed"
> installation). I completely reinstalled xp-pro with no
> change. any help would be appreciated.
> Dan

Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save off your work and
configuration, do a clean install of the OS, and then use the FAST Wizard
again to restore your data. You will have reinstall all programs.