tsbccsteve

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
So im sold on the whole core 2 processor even though im an AMD fan :roll: However im at a loss as to what the mobo would cost and the selection of them right now, or can i get them now.

Also how powerful a PSU would i need?

I am looking to overclock so i suppose i would need a liquid cooling and the whole bit.

Thanks for any input on this subject at all.

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
They are supposed to OC pretty far on air cooling alone. You probably won't need liquid cooling unless you are planning on doing something fairly extreme.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
So im sold on the whole core 2 processor even though im an AMD fan :roll: However im at a loss as to what the mobo would cost and the selection of them right now, or can i get them now.

Well, if you want to overclock (as you say below), you'll want a standard enthusiast board. They will run you anywhere from $150-$250. There are boards that are currently Conroe compatable, so you can go ahead and buy them now.

Also how powerful a PSU would i need?

A standard 500W powersupply would be fine, unless you're looking to have 5 hard drives with two Cross-Fire Cards with bling-bling lights.

I am looking to overclock so i suppose i would need a liquid cooling and the whole bit.

Depending on the chip, the standard cooler can overclock quite a bit. If you buy a lower end version (say, the 2.13Ghz one), you could probably expect an easy overclock up to ~2.7Ghz on stock volts/cooling based on early reported results. If you buy the XE, you could probably overclock up to around 3.3Ghz on stock volts/cooling. With a good air cooler (such as a Tuniq Tower), you can probably hit 3.6Ghz without too much trouble with some extra volts.

Water cooling is (in my opinion) a waste of time. Good heatsinks (such as the Tower) work almost as well with a lot less complication. If can be worth it if you get a water chiller (one that chills the water to about freezing rather than just ambiant temperatures), but those cost a lot.

Hope this helps.

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
conroe should overclock pretty well with just air cooling. a decent 400-450W PSU should be enough. and it is more energy effecient than current pentium D and pentium 4.

tsbccsteve

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Wow, thanks for all the info.

Im still kinda toying around with the pent d 805 :wink: Only caus of the price but I think its prolly worth my time to wait and get the one that i really want.

Gosh darnit!!! And ive always been an AMD fan, the origional processor i was going to buy was the 4200+ or the 4000+ but alas, i think im going to go with intel :roll: