VoipJet / Win98SE / iaxComm / Firefly / Freshtel USB phone

I recently set up a VoIP account with VoipJet
(http://www.voipjet.com/) on my Win98SE box using iaxComm's softphone:

http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/iaxcomm/iaxcomm-win-1.0rc2.zip

I'm using Freshtel's FT102B USB phone
(http://www.freshtel.net/products/ft102.php). It's speaker and
microphone work quite well, but the keypad and display are inoperative
with VoipJet.

During VoipJet's signup procedure I was given a page of account setup
instructions which were written for a Linux user - no mention of
Windows. These instructions included a username, 32 digit hex
password, server address, and codec setup. Fortunately I didn't have
too much trouble configuring my iaxComm dialer, except for the choice
of codec. The setup instructions were US-centric, and therefore
recommended that all codecs, except for G.711 ulaw, should be
disallowed. This resulted in "raspy" audio. Selecting alaw (the
correct codec for Australia) fixed this problem. Strangely, one of the
account setup dialogue boxes asked for the location of an Asterix
server (eg Oxford, UK), so I input Sydney, Australia. I would have
thought that my personalised account setup instructions should have
reflected this choice. <shrug>

I like VoipJet's gift of US$0.25 free credit. I used it to call my own
number (I'm on ADSL) and was able to test the connection in real time.
Providers like Skype use a prerecorded announcement, followed by
recording and playback of your own voice. Freshtel's test number just
plays a prerecorded test message.

I tried setting up VoipJet with 3rd party Firefly software:
http://www.virbiage.com/firefly/download/firefly-thirdparty.exe

Under Firefly, Freshtel's FT102B phone is fully functional, keypad and
LCD included. Unfortunately, VoipJet accepts my username but rejects
my password (the same pw as used with iaxComm). Does anyone have any
idea why?

BTW, one annoyance I have with iaxComm is that the phone book and all
user settings, including an unencrypted password, are stored in the
registry.

Thanks for reading this far.

- Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:33:26 +1100, Franc Zabkar
<fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I recently set up a VoIP account with VoipJet
>(http://www.voipjet.com/) on my Win98SE box ...

>I tried setting up VoipJet with 3rd party Firefly software:
> http://www.virbiage.com/firefly/download/firefly-thirdparty.exe
>
>Unfortunately, VoipJet accepts my username but rejects
>my password (the same pw as used with iaxComm). Does anyone have any
>idea why?

Apparently the reason for the login failure is that the latest version
of Firefly does not support md5 (encrypted) authorisation. Reports are
that an earlier version (Firefly 1.5 build 3388) does not have this
limitation.

- Franc Zabkar