PC random reboots: Is my Enermax power supply enough?

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
My desktop PC occasionally reboots itself lately. The random reboots happen quite out of blue - once in a few days/weeks. I noticed however that the reboot is more likely if my PC is left on for consecutive days. No such a problem occurred for the first few months after it is built. And I did not add any more hardware to the PC.

After brief research, I feel the problem might be attributed to either bad ram or PSU. In this post, I want to focus on the PSU I am using. Based on the following specs, will you think my PSU is short of power?

Thank you for kindly advising!:)

Memory: Samsung DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 512Meg x 2p
PSU: Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA) 530w
http://www.coolergiant.com/products/power_supplies/EG465P-VE.html

### MY SYSTEM SPECS###
@@@Main Features@@@
- CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz with 845 Chipset, Socket 478
- Enermax 530W Power [Model: EG651P-VE (FMA)]
- Gigabyte GA-8IRXP motherboard
- Lianli PC-70 USB ATX Full-Tower (Silver)

@@@HDD Drives (5 IDE drives)@@@
Western Digital 120/100GB, 7200RPM
Not RAIDed, set up as 5 HDDs of which 1 for WinXP-Pro

@@@Optical Drives@@@
1. NEC DVDRW ND4550A
2. PlexWriter CDRW 40x12x40
3. LiteOn DVDR LCD-163

@@@Floppy drive (Panasonic)@@@

@@@Graphic card@@@
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb

@@@Sound card@@@
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
### MY SYSTEM SPECS###

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Oh hell yeah. That is more than enough power for that system. Look at RAM. At first I thought it might be the amount of drives, but no. With that CPU/GPU set up that is more than enough power. I mean, unless the PSU is just bad. Have you checked the voltages? They are usually a tell-tale sign if the PSU is weak or bad.

~Ibrahim~

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Have you checked the voltages? They are usually a tell-tale sign if the PSU is weak or bad.

~Ibrahim~

Yes I checked the voltages. They are just fine.
Hmm...... :roll:

Well I was thinking I might want to just take off that Plex CDR drive as that NEC DVD-RW replaces it. But guess this doesn't help much. A CDR consumes, what, 20W – 30W?

gambit6259

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I don't know. You are running quite a bit off that PSU if you ask me, but you definitley should check out your memory. Especially since the reboots are a random occurance.

Just for reference I am running a system with 3 Hard Drives, 1 Optical drive, ATI 9800 GPU, AMD Athlon 3000+, and a floppy on a 450W PSU with out any problems.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Well, I've ran his system under a few PSU wattage calculators, ranging from 313W-510W. And that is a quality PSU, so I would guess it is enough, but it has a slight chance that it might not be enough. Have you tried disconnecting some of the hard drives/cd drives? Then we'll know for sure if it is power because those are the major power drawers here that can be easily removed...

Take the side of the case off, does it help? That might mean overheating. BUT, the PSU could also be overheating.

~Ibrahim!