Sign in with
Your question

Dual Monitor Help

Last response: in Components
June 6, 2006 4:00:09 AM

Was messing around today and decided to use an old 18" Dell CRT (M992) in a dual-monitor setup with my new 20" Viewsonic LCD (Maybe this combo isnt possible, if so no need to read on =P)

Specs:
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
FX-55 @ 3.2
2x 1gig Corsair XMS
1 250gig sata WD Cavair
2 250gig sata WD Cavair RAID 0
Audigy 2zs

and an XFX 7800gtx, (Dual DVI)

My existing LCD, (Viewsonic 20") is in the left port if your looking at the comp from the back. I assume that is for your main monitor just because that would be common sense. Anyway I had no problems installing the CRT, I downloaded the drivers from dell.com, and it is properly installed / recognized.

Then I go to my Display Properties > Settings tab and it shows both monitors. I enabled "Extend windows Desktop", and in the advanced tab for my G-card tried all the options, Clone / horizontal / vertical / Dual View. Restarting after each, but I just get a nice black screen on my CRT.

*NOTE* It had been working a week ago when I dismantled our rec room computer to put mine up since im back from school. But I will try it again on my other system after I post this.

If anyone sees a step I left out, or knows something I may have overlooked like setting the monitors to the same rezolution (will try that right now) any and all help is greatly appreciated =).

Thanks

More about : dual monitor

June 6, 2006 4:33:16 AM

Have you tried switching the sockets and running the CRT alone and used both video socket? If so maybe it could be the CRT problem.
June 6, 2006 5:20:39 AM

I know exactly what the problem is. :o 

Try adjusting the frequency of the monitor down to something like 60 or 70.
Related resources
June 6, 2006 1:01:50 PM

Hmm, monitor works fine, tried switching sockets, and the refresh rate is set at 60hz, but still black.

I just tried adjusting the color settings on it though and it said that it was in "power Save mode" and to access it using the computer. How do I get it out of power save mode?

Also the problem maybe that windows doesn't support it as a secondary display, I googledl my problem and some people said that it is a possibility. I don't know were to find a list of supported ones though (if there is one).
June 6, 2006 4:09:57 PM

Try buying a poopy PCI video card and running your CRT on that?
June 6, 2006 4:24:34 PM

I believe my mobo came with a PCI monitor card I never installed, is that what your talking about?
June 6, 2006 6:42:48 PM

Yes, that PCI card that came with your mobo. Try running your CRT on that.

I've run monitor setups from 1 to 4 monitors on my rig, so I should know what the hell I'm talking about. I prefer to run one monitor on my main card to get better FPS and run another monitor on its own card. I only run dual monitors now, no need for any more than that, for me.
June 6, 2006 7:01:21 PM

Have you tried switching the resolutions? Maybe the CRT and LCD have different native resolutions, so try adjusting it. Try running both at the same time with 1024x768 @ 60Hz or 1280x1024 @ 60hz, you know it could be that and the graphics is only set to one setting and can only run one resolution and frequency at a time. So try that and see if it fix the problem.

:) 
June 6, 2006 7:48:12 PM

QwertyCopter, hmm, I think you may be on to something, I did just assume that both DVI inputs on my Video Card were working (since it recognised the monitor when I plugged it in) but there is a big difference between it recognising the monitor and actually displaying anything.

I will try my main LCD in the secondary Input when I get home from work.

Oh and thanks again for all the help guys, I have been reading these forums for about a year now and learned so much, so when I needed help with something I knew exactly were to turn. =)
June 7, 2006 2:44:24 AM

WORKING!!!! haha, thanks for all your support guys, I musta smashed my VGA cable or something taking apart the computer this CRT used to be connected to because I replaced it with an old one I had laying around and Its working like a charm now :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  .

Again I appreciate all the advice, I learn something new with every post I read around here :p 
!