9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Transmeta announced an exclusive deal late Monday with Advanced Micro Devices to get its Efficeon chip rebranded and distributed through AMD into emerging markets around the world.

The rebranding deal expands on an announcement made on May 22 involving AMD (nyse: AMD - news - people ), Microsoft (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) and Transmeta (nasdaq: TMTA - news - people ) to bring flexible payment methods to computer users in parts of the world where the upfront cost of a PC is too great. (See " Gates Launches FlexGo.")

Efficeon is designed specifically to support pay-as-you-go computing, ensuring system security and resistance to tampering or repurposing. AMD will buy Efficeon chips from Transmeta, brand it the AMD Efficeon and sell it into emerging markets, such as Brazil, where it's already being tested in a trial run by Microsoft.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2006/06/05/transmeta-amd-0605markets21.html

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Yet another very strange twist in the AMD plot. One has to ask if they would bring us such craziness as 4x4 and now this if it weren't for Conroe/Woodcrest.

If that's not enough, there's speculation that they will be buying ATI...what is this world coming to? My first question is how will they pay for this? Discussion of a fab in the Big Apple, plans to expand in Dresdan, what next...they gonna offer to buy out Intel?

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Yet another very strange twist in the AMD plot. One has to ask if they would bring us such craziness as 4x4 and now this if it weren't for Conroe/Woodcrest.

If that's not enough, there's speculation that they will be buying ATI...what is this world coming to? My first question is how will they pay for this? Discussion of a fab in the Big Apple, plans to expand in Dresdan, what next...they gonna offer to buy out Intel?

Well Intel lost 40% of its revenue just this quarter alone. Who do you think is cashing in on all that lost revenue?
So I think its smart for them to invest the money now.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Well Intel lost 40% of its revenue just this quarter alone. Who do you think is cashing in on all that lost revenue?
So I think its smart for them to invest the money now.

There is a big difference in revenue and profit. You are referring to intels Q1 profits being down 34% I presume?