Abit A8N 32X with 8GB ?

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
These are claimed to be dual rank with 2GB per dimm...

-2GB ECC non registered
kingston KVR333X72BRC25/2G

If this is true, could someone use them with DDR333 with 1T if only using 4GB ?
What about the best possible speed for 8GB ?

Any other memory manufacturers I should look for ?

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Read my sig, I don't use XP, I do computer CT. Play with MCMC with 150M unknowns and nearly as many measurements ;)

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Lol. Goes to show how much attention I pay to signatures. Just Check on the Asus website and check to see the max ram capacity for that mobo.

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Lol. Goes to show how much attention I pay to signatures. Just Check on the Asus website and check to see the max ram capacity for that mobo.

Thank you, I already checked the "ABIT" website and not the "ASUS" like you suggested . It has the cabability to use 8GB of memory.

Maybe the confusing bit is my typo of A8N instead of the correct AN8...

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Wow. Yeah im not really in to reading stuff properly at the moment and i typed Asus because i was reading another thread in a different tab that was talking about Asus and I accidentally typed it here. Well if the Abit site says it is compatible logically it would be.

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The trouble is the 4800 2X cannot handle registered ECC DDR 400, at least I tried on my MSI... point is I should try on this motherboard ... Hey, I might do this right now !

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Has anyone told you you should've gone with a proper S940 workstation platform? Then you can have 4cores, etc.

Was in my mind, yes, I know, also wanted to wait for the F, AM2, Conroe motherboards to come out and mature a little... This was my temporary cheap solution :p And I already have another Dual Opteron with 8G of ram, and it is very noisy. This machine is very silent. Without the POST and monitors I could not tell if it's running or not.

The good news is, I can now boot REG ECC DDR 400 4x512MB, something I never nanaged to do with the MSI Diamon Plus. These memory are 2.5V instead of 2.6V... I had to lower the voltage a lil and it worked fine.

The bad news is, If I put back my DDR400 4x1GB, it stops at the ECC checking, reseted the BIOS, nope niet nada... moving to REG ECC seems to be only one way.

Note to others, Buffered memory will not work, read your manual. Reg will work on the ABIT motherboard.

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
tchiwam said:
The bad news is, If I put back my DDR400 4x1GB, it stops at the ECC checking, reseted the BIOS, nope niet nada... moving to REG ECC seems to be only one way.

And I found out why, the DIMM were of course bought in pairs .. the pairs were mismatched it seems, I do have 4 identical DIMM of 1GB each... puzzling at best. I think Abit should try and adjust this memory support a bit better... Even bought them at the same time to try and get the same batch.

Reg ECC is very unstable it seems, I can't keep the machine working more than a minute or 2, with 2.6V or 2.5V settings like the memory manufacturer tells, I guess other modules would work better.

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
For ECC reg modules , Infineon has proved to be a strong supplier...maybe you could try this instead kingston ...(for me they are too unstable...)

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Noisy case fan, your fault.
Noisy stock AMD HSF, put some investiment into new coolers.
Problem solved

Errr, be careful with what you say, it is a 1U rack mount IBM e326. We use that machine a lot and it get's hot, it is in a rack with other similar friends.

I think 2.7V is a bit on the high side, I might try again later. I did relax all timings to 2T and 3-3-3. Still not very stable.

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If any boards cannot work within the specs, it is horse manure, and that is just a plain fact. I really don't overclock, I am even fighting to get the FSB at 200Mhz instead of the 204 abit tries to push on me. I want to be able to compare to another machine running exactly at 200Mhz fsb.

I will keep these voltages in mind. as for the IBM machine, it just works, and it is just noisy...

I was hoping to have a more silent machine where I could also develop cG. Developing remote cG is kind of hard. Local machine that is about comparable is nice... the noise is not ;)

Now the interesting bit is here ... Abit seems to think 5X HT is the default OK setting... If I let it there it often won't even go all the way booting the BIOS.... in 4X it is a boot after boot success... I guess there is a need for Abit to work things out. So what is the spec saying about 5x or 4x HT for CPU <-> NB ?

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I am even fighting to get the FSB at 200Mhz instead of the 204 abit tries to push on me. I want to be able to compare to another machine running exactly at 200Mhz fsb.
Abit seems to think 5X HT is the default OK setting... If I let it there it often won't even go all the way booting the BIOS.... in 4X it is a boot after boot success...
That is some serious problem you've got there mate. And I doubt it's solely due to memory (tho it sometimes can).

Start off by plugging in 2x1GB and set timing to SPD in BIOS (and 1T), vdimm @2.7V. Set HTT to 5X (Abit is right, it's for 2x1000MT/s HTT).
See how that slugs out. That would be the normal test just to make sure the ODMC(and mobo) is happy with the RAM.
If that isn't stable then try HTT 4x. Report back.

What exactly are those 1GB modules anyway? Are they Kingston 1GB DDR400 CL3 by any chance???

Yep, they are, But I also have some MS DDR400 CL2.5, and some IBM DDR400 Reg Ecc CL3.

I think I found why I had trouble, the kingston pin are not as even as the other memory I have. I mean by that, it seems the gold plating is a bit lacky on one of the modules... If I keep that module out of the system it works well.

I am now writing on 4x 1GB Kingston DDR400 CL3, running at DDR333 CL2.5, 2.6V.

I am having 2 mprime running. Ill try to compile some stuff and see how it acts.