Sign in with
Your question

Running games like crap all the sudden! Need help!

Last response: in Video Games
August 26, 2005 9:43:20 AM

I used to be able to play CSS and BF2 on medium no problem, but now I can have FPS issues even on low for both games! This happened ever since my old HD died and I had to throw it away and start only using my other HD. I don't believe switching HD would cause that big of a problem tho. I am on Althon xp 2400+, Geforce 6800 OC 128m, and 1 gig ram. What could be wrong all the sudden? When I install the window after my HD crash, I already formatted the HD when I installed windows so it should be good to go. What the hells wrong with my computer?
August 26, 2005 2:22:02 PM

your running a 6800 with a 2400xp. Shame on you.

only advice there is you reinstalled you mobo, gfx and soundcard drivers. You making sure your HD and CD drives are dma not PIO.
Make sure your gfx card is set to AA and AF controlled by application
Make sure you have the correct version of DX installed

if the worst comes to the worst splash out on a better CPU and give that GFX some breathing room for gawds sake.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
August 26, 2005 8:32:03 PM

Yeah I am planning to upgrade to Althon 64. But anyway I used to be able to run it okay. How do I check if my HD drives are dma? And also for my mobo I went on Gigabyte and downloaded the chipset driver for my motherboard. That's the motherboard driver right?
August 27, 2005 9:48:55 AM

just go to nvidia if you got a nforce or via site if you got via for chipset drivers. what were your frame rates like and what are they like now? also try different drivers maybe your last ones just clicked with your card i use 71.89? give us the specs on your old and new hds. bf2 you could be page filling really bad, thatd make it hella choppy. other than that Good Luck!

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (Nvidia Nforce 2)
AMD AthlonXP 2500 at 3200 (stock voltage)40c Load
Leadtek Nvidia 6800LE 12p,6v 550/700
Antec TruePower 400 watt ps
1x256 Meg Corsair ValueRam 2.5,3,3,7
Related resources
!